1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #91
50wllystrk

Alrighty, here's where the Torchmate takes over and I just sit back for a moment. Looks like a good time to take a picture....

And the finished product. Looks just like the original without the holes, layers off rust, missing sections that fell away, ect...

50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #92
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

do you allow for the marker or something? how do you get it exact? go a bit bigger and grind to fit? that's a nice machine. on the restos, you could always bankrole your own and go to barrett jackson with them .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #93
50wllystrk

herbiehind, Your question about getting it exact is correct. The tracing with the sharpie is pretty much the exact size of the original. Now, since it took grinding to remove it I have to figure for material loss right there. Also, my recreation of the bottom part of the frame can deviate slightly from the original frame. When I scan the card board image, the scanner picks up every single little edge and imperfection on the cardboard. So, instead of going in and editing every little imperfection on the scanned image, I simply use the cad system and follow the outline of the image. Then discard the scanned image and send the nice smooth image I've created along with adding slight bits of material in areas, in this case the top and bottom, to the cutter. Now I've got the new brace along with enough material to grind to the perfect fit. You hit it right on the head.

Thanks again for the restoration compliments, I've got a long ways to go before I get involved in the technical work they do for those cars. I kinda perfer tinkering with no time restraints also.
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #94
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
herbiehind, Your question about getting it exact is correct. The tracing with the sharpie is pretty much the exact size of the original. Now, since it took grinding to remove it I have to figure for material loss right there. Also, my recreation of the bottom part of the frame can deviate slightly from the original frame. When I scan the card board image, the scanner picks up every single little edge and imperfection on the cardboard. So, instead of going in and editing every little imperfection on the scanned image, I simply use the cad system and follow the outline of the image. Then discard the scanned image and send the nice smooth image I've created along with adding slight bits of material in areas, in this case the top and bottom, to the cutter. Now I've got the new brace along with enough material to grind to the perfect fit. You hit it right on the head.

Thanks again for the restoration compliments, I've got a long ways to go before I get involved in the technical work they do for those cars. I kinda perfer tinkering with no time restraints also.
Just to point out...

If you do those kind of restorations, time is money and if it's your money it is scary, given the up and down of vehicle values. Barrett Jackson looks cool on tv, but they edit the cars to show the positive side. Lots of cars don't meet reserve, and some don't sell at all. Imagine having your livelihood tied to that?

IF someone else bankrolls you, you pretty much just turned an enjoyable hobby into another job. Yuck!
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #95
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i here that . yuk!!! plenty of jeeps need work . as mentioned earlier .
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #96
50wllystrk

You both are right, I know there's money to be made if one has the talent and time, yet, I do know one rule of thumb, and it was mentioned.

I do this as a hobby, I know if it was my way of putting food on the table it would become "work". As it is now it is a labor of love. I don't count the dollars, I don't count the hours.

What I do search for on the web is peoples projects that detail the work thay have done. Not just the beginning and the end but the middle as well.

I wasn't looking for projects that are bolts ons, I wanted pictures that detailed the heart of the issue, where the grinder meets the metal, where the welder melts the steel.

Not finding much to fulfill my craving, I started my own, and here it is. I'm sure you can tell, I'm in no hurry, but still moving forward. The rust got uglier as I dove in, but yet I never quivered. I still have further to go, but I know I'll grow to the challenge.

This my friends is my view on my projects. Although the time factor pops into my head, I have to push it out. When focussed on time, it becomes a job, yuck.

I also want to thank everyone. I knew that by showing the detail I have shown to everyone that I'd be bearing my soul. I would be open to anyones opinion as to how I have gone about correcting my rust issues. Everybody has been supportive and curious, thanks again.

I would have not have stood my ground if I did get negative feedback, I'd have simply kept on working and I'd change the title of the thread to "How not to re-restore a 50 Willys truck".

Ok. with that said... I'd like you all to look at my rear end. (I'm joking)

Since the leaf spring desperatly need to be changed, I'm getting the rear axle out and ready for inspection. It's a common performance axle, Dana 60. Yes, before we are done with this project we all will see the inside of it. Not just opening the cover but removing all gears and bearings. Luckly I stopped driving just in time, with no load on the wheels when I spin the front yoke it has a bit of movement from side to side, bad pinion bearing. Here we are, I didn't know the depth of need, it doesn't matter, I can rebuild it, this truck will be better than it was. Somehow for you older folks, do you get the image of the bionic man, Steve Austin???

Looking down this axle tube I see a bunch of brackets and hardware, it's all coming off. We're gonna also make new spring perches with the Torchmate machine also. These old ones look terrible.
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #97
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

You say the leaf springs are getting changed? what are they being changed too?
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #98
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
You say the leaf springs are getting changed? what are they being changed too?

Oops, sorry bout that, I'm sticking with the original leaf spring set-up.
Here's the new ones vs. old ones.
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #99
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

very cool project! i love seeing these old classics both on the road and being restored/modified in shops. nice piece of good old fashioned Americana you have. keep up the awesome work!
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #100
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

very cool rebuild Ill be watching this one.

About your frame strength and repairs strength, It will be fine. Im not sure where all the taboos and wives tales about welding on a automotive frame came from, but the bottom line is, they are mild steel, and welding isn't going to make them brittle. It seams broken and cracked frames get welded then crack again later this tells me there is a stress factor at that particular area that needs to be addressed. 73-87 GM fullsize trucks for example are notorious for cracking around the steering box, you can keep welding the cracks but they will crack again unless something else is done to either reduce the stress *IE steering box brace kit* or beef up that area *IE fishplate over it*. If the welding caused the cracks, then they never should have cracked in the first place because there wasn't any welding there from the factory.

Vertical lines in the middle of a span shouldn't matter either, but in an area that sees extra stress, like where a spring mount is riveted or bolted to the frame, then yes avoid straight vertical lines right at the stress riser.
I have no doubt that your frame will be as strong or stronger than the original frame was new, unless that is, your using some crazy brittle welding rod, which I doubt you would be since you seam to know what your doing.

Semi truck frames however are usually tempered steel so a little extra care needs to be done when welding them like preheating and making sure it cools slowly.

Bravo and keep up the good work I have always loved the old Willy's trucks.
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #101
aus101010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my dad had one of these babies when i was growing up. the guy before him had put a 1Ton hydraulic piston under the bed and turned that bad boy into a dump truck and it's the reason i own a jeep now. thanks for the blast from the past and good luck with the rebuild!
aus101010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #102
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus101010 View Post
my dad had one of these babies when i was growing up. the guy before him had put a 1Ton hydraulic piston under the bed and turned that bad boy into a dump truck and it's the reason i own a jeep now. thanks for the blast from the past and good luck with the rebuild!
that'd be pretty cool .
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #103
50wllystrk

One of you Jeepster83, mentioned something I tell people also. This is a piece of american history. It was created way before the wind tunnels came into designing vehicles. So yes, everytime I take it to work or to play, I know I've either sparked someones past, or kicked in someones imagination. It is alot of fun.

On the frame strength, thanks for your input balzer, it was good reading, it brought up some different thought angles.

aus101010, I've had old men and young kids run up and ask questions and tell stories about their history concerning these old trucks. You know, after 26 years, I still still enjoy talking to people about it.

Well I spent my 15 to 20 minutes uploading pics to photobucket. (dial up, grr). As mentioned before, I cut off all the clutter on the axle tubes. We're gonna rebuild and replace the spring perches first. One again, I thank the Torchmate cad system, this time there were no drawings to scan. The image starts as a square on the screen and you start manipulating the lines till you have the shape you want, then cut it out.

Here are the individual pieces required to create the new perches. Then weld and grind.
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #104
BLacher
1998 ZJ 

Just read entire post, gotta get subscribed on this one. This is incredible work, that is some great artistry you are performing. I have a great appreciation for real craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing.
BLacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #105
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

thanks for clearing the leaf spring situation up... I love how you really make us all feel like we can see every inch of work done almost as if were there. LOOKING GOOD!! And in the end any idea of a possible color for the truck? or you leaving it as is body wise?
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.