1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #76
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Like the other guy said, I'm also learning welding here and there when i can pick up a lesson from my dad. You my man seem flawless with it!

Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #77
50wllystrk

Thanks again for the compliment, is just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

We'll finish this particular part of the frame with an inside of the frame picture.
Once I get alittle farther this all will be sandblasted also, everything should blend together. I can't wait.....
50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #78
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Thanks again for the compliment, is just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

We'll finish this particular part of the frame with an inside of the frame picture.
Once I get alittle farther this all will be sandblasted also, everything should blend together. I can't wait.....

I am not a welder, but one day I would like to figure it out.

Anyway, what do you think about the final strength of the frame in the place that you repaired it?

Is there a way to say how strong it is compared to the rest of the frame?
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #79
50wllystrk

Jeff88, you pose a good question about strength. I personally have no way to test the overall strength of the repair. I am posting a previous picture. In this original picture you'll see a web like brace that goes from top to bottom of the inside of the frame. I will be cutting a new replacement for this web soon. It'll add a good brace to elliminate flexing that could lead to frame cracking.

Also the main cross brace does a real good job of tying the top frame, side frame and bottom frame together also. It uses 6 bolts on each end that bolts to the top, side and bottom of the frame also

Also, the front spring perches are bolted to the frame with four bolts, two on the side frame and two that bolt to the bottom of the frame.

Then we get down to final judgement.....It's gotta be better that it was.

Yes, when it's done I'll be taking a look at the repairs as I use the truck, especially after heavy loads.

Unread 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #80
50wllystrk

Since we've touched on the main cross brace I just got the pics loaded. A couple posts back I posted them after sandblasting. They were in need. After a little bending, shaping, grinding and welding I've brought them back to a usable condition again.
Hope you like.....

Unread 07-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #81
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Jeff88, you pose a good question about strength. I personally have no way to test the overall strength of the repair. I am posting a previous picture. In this original picture you'll see a web like brace that goes from top to bottom of the inside of the frame. I will be cutting a new replacement for this web soon. It'll add a good brace to elliminate flexing that could lead to frame cracking.

Also the main cross brace does a real good job of tying the top frame, side frame and bottom frame together also. It uses 6 bolts on each end that bolts to the top, side and bottom of the frame also

Also, the front spring perches are bolted to the frame with four bolts, two on the side frame and two that bolt to the bottom of the frame.

Then we get down to final judgement.....It's gotta be better that it was.

Yes, when it's done I'll be taking a look at the repairs as I use the truck, especially after heavy loads.

No doubt it will be better than it was! Based on looking at what you've done, I would think it would be really strong and you might go another 20 or 30 years before you had an issue.

I just know I have seen some pretty strong looking welds on things break apart a few times I guess because of the particular stress of a given area.

I was just curious how a person would judge the strength of things by looking at it. I guess having experience as a welder would maybe tell a person if it was strong enough. I don't have that, so I can't yet relate!!!!
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #82
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
No doubt it will be better than it was! Based on looking at what you've done, I would think it would be really strong and you might go another 20 or 30 years before you had an issue.

I just know I have seen some pretty strong looking welds on things break apart a few times I guess because of the particular stress of a given area.

I was just curious how a person would judge the strength of things by looking at it. I guess having experience as a welder would maybe tell a person if it was strong enough. I don't have that, so I can't yet relate!!!!
You definetly are opening up quite a subject. I mean this in a positive view.

I say this because about the time I built this truck back in 1985 I started building all sorts of stuff from steel. Things from off road go-karts, converting motocycles to 4 wheelers ect. The key thing is trying to build someting strong YET, not any heavier than needed.

Now comes the stuff many people overlook. When a car, truck, atv, motorcycle is built there are a ton of decisions, for instance. Look at 4-wheelers, Polaris vs most other atvs. Things I notice is the use of angle iron vs round tubing. First polaris I saw was the lack round tubing. Not that there is anything wrong, it was the first thing I noticed. Most notice the cosmetics, I went for the structure.

I guess what I'm saying is yes, you do develope an eye for welds and fabrication over time. Not that I'm patting my own back here, I've had to redue many projects in the past. Remember, it's not always the end result, it's the journey and what you learned along the way. That's what builds character.

Back to your comment about looking at a weld or fabrication, when you've done it for years you do become aware of strengths and weaknesses.

But remember.... one doesn't know the strength of fabrication til it accually breaks, ouch. Let's hope it doesn't come to that on this truck.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #83
50wllystrk

Pretty well finished the main cross frame. I just have it in place to get a look at the fit and finish. Just a couple more holes to drill and I'm happy with it. This has to be finished and set before I cut and weld in the frame webbing that goes in front of it. Once the webbing brace is welded in, this cross brace is in for good.

Unread 07-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #84
GEaviation
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the repair work on that frame is looking pretty damn good!! nice job. my uncle just sold his willys project truck..... now i wish i had the money to buy it when he did... this truck is sick and an inspiration for future willys builds.... just my opinion
GEaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #85
DutchJPR
1986 CJ7 

Good work!

Are you going to paint the inside of the chassis and crossmember before you put it back together?
DutchJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #86
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

man i like how you're going to such pains to make it look like it (the rust) never happened . more like a concours restoration . do you do restos for a living? you should .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #87
50wllystrk

GEaviation, I don't think many knew what a beast the old Willys truck can look like. I see many redone and transformed Willys, just not many go this far, and many don't make it to the road for everyone to see them. Thanks for you input.

DutchJPR, I've gone back and forth on this decision, but, I'd like to get a protective coating where they both bolt together to lessen the chance of this getting out of hand later. You have a good question there. Thanks for your input.

herbiehind, I have done my share of muscle car restorations. I do however try to stay away from them. Often times the customer is excited at the beginning, then comes the reality of the depth of work needed to get the under structure back in shape before the outside can be looking good. Then the check book seems to get a very strong lock on it. I just get tired of dealing with the financial part, I just want to build. I thank you also for your input.

I do have a 57 chevy truck restoration in the background of some of these pics. My project though, now I have to pry my own check book open.
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #88
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I like what you're doing here, looks good. I'm stuck in the house recuperating from surgery and this build has been a nice little diversion for me. I appreciate the time you're taking with your posts, and keep up the good work.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #89
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
man i like how you're going to such pains to make it look like it (the rust) never happened . more like a concours restoration . do you do restos for a living? you should .
I bet you could make a living just on people on this forum who need frame repair!
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #90
50wllystrk

Wow kabowabo, stuck inside, what a bummer. No wait, you got a/c going? I gotta be outside in this 100 degree heat most the day. Maybe not such a bummer afterall, hang in there.

Since we're in the area of frame bracing we'll focus in that area. I need to recreate the inner web bracing to match the original. I've put 4 items in a row in the first picture to save picture space.
Far left is the old original piece, I knew I was place gonna replace it so I was carefull not to destroy it during removal. Second item, cardboard tracing using a sharpie marker. I had to cut it since it was too big for the scanner. Then after scanning, you put the two halves together in the C.A.D. system. Third item, before acually cutting into the metal I print out the exact cut on paper to check the fit. Fourth, I approve the fit, I then make the cut out of metal.

This is the image that the Torchmate follows as it cuts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.