1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #61
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94yjstocklook View Post
Lovin the updates. Are you thinking about boxing in the frame or just repairing the rusted sections?
Yeaaaa, it finally happened, the boxed frame question....

I'm just mess'n with ya 94yjstocklook, I did put some thought into it and I know it would be a lot stronger.

The benefit I have with this build is the many past years of owning and using this truck. Along with seeing the slow destruction that time has done to it, and although it does get more use and abuse here in Missouri than it got in Illinois, it was still doing it's job even with how bad it was.

I'm gonna stick with keeping it stock looking and hopefully if all turns out ok when done, I'll be happy with it for many years to come.

Thanks for asking, I know others have probably thought the same question.

50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #62
50wllystrk

Here's one of the bottom frame pieces. By keeping one of the original frame sections exactly as it was I had a piece of which I could form the new one to. Now being confident of it's form, I'll be able to grind the bottom of the patches I've already tacked into place to match the shape of the original upswing of the frame. This up swing has to be very close to the original since the front spring perch is gonna bolt to the new frame sections. I'd like to maintain the same height and angles as original.

Unread 07-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #63
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Yeaaaa, it finally happened, the boxed frame question....

I'm just mess'n with ya 94yjstocklook, I did put some thought into it and I know it would be a lot stronger.

The benefit I have with this build is the many past years of owning and using this truck. Along with seeing the slow destruction that time has done to it, and although it does get more use and abuse here in Missouri than it got in Illinois, it was still doing it's job even with how bad it was.

I'm gonna stick with keeping it stock looking and hopefully if all turns out ok when done, I'll be happy with it for many years to come.

Thanks for asking, I know others have probably thought the same question.
I was just curious. The good part to not boxing it, besides the obvious cost benefit, is that you can see all of the rust forming. You can never tell what is going on inside of a boxed frame. Can't wait to see whats after the frame
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #64
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I'm about 10 miles east of Montauk, you've got the right place. I moved here from Belvidere, near Rockford Il. about 5 years ago, and never looked back. So the truck roamed that area from 1985 -2006.
Thanks for the compliment.

I lived in Belvidere as a kid.

My mom was from there originally.

I rode the bus to Caledonia Grade school!

Too many years ago!
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #65
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94yjstocklook View Post
I was just curious. The good part to not boxing it, besides the obvious cost benefit, is that you can see all of the rust forming. You can never tell what is going on inside of a boxed frame. Can't wait to see whats after the frame

You are sooooo correct. To box the frame eliminates the ability to paint inside the box. If you try to weld it fully shut you could hold water where you don't want it to be. I agree with you.
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #66
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I lived in Belvidere as a kid.

My mom was from there originally.

I rode the bus to Caledonia Grade school!

Too many years ago!

It's a small world afterall. Lets see how far back you go. I got to be a part of the tornado back in 1967.

It's great to have you join in. The response on this old truck has been amazing. It sure helps to keep one motivated and moving forward.
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #67
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are sooooo correct. To box the frame eliminates the ability to paint inside the box. If you try to weld it fully shut you could hold water where you don't want it to be. I agree with you.
i drilled extra holes in bottom and por'd the inside with a wand from eastwood . but ..... to repair now would be to have a fire extinguisher handy as por-15 catches fire . you just cant win .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

btw what color are ya gonna go with this time? gun metal blue or fire engine red? i see a 28 ford down the street once in a while when he feels like it's not gonna rain and he can come out into the drive . what a beauty!!! it's a gun metal blue flatbed with a black frame and wood bed . what a combo!!
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #69
cody4359
1987 MJ Comanche 

nice, love the truck. less talk , more progress haha
cody4359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #70
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a small world afterall. Lets see how far back you go. I got to be a part of the tornado back in 1967.

It's great to have you join in. The response on this old truck has been amazing. It sure helps to keep one motivated and moving forward.
Nope, no tornado for me.

But... I do have a few artifacts from my grandfather's days at Belvidere High School... in 1925!!!!!!

Now back to this truck...
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #71
50wllystrk

Oh the truck, that's right......

Two pictures, pretty well self explanitory. The first one is the seemless repair. The second is all cleaned up where the repair is like it never happened. It'll all get a sand blasting before paint and that seals the deal, pretty much all machine mark will be gone after that. Plus the sand blasting creates a great texture for primer and paint to grip real strong.

Unread 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #72
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great welds and patch work. I think you've answered my question about fish-plating, and yes, you had the correct definition. I was always taught exactly that, make a z-shape so that you never weld a perfect vertical or horizontal line in the frame (especially if it carries any weight like your wood pile). For seemless repair, this may not apply depending on how well you can make it blend with the old frame. You obviously want to fuse the metal really well with a nice double-pass on both sides then grind off the excess, sandblast and paint.

I'm still watching! Great work!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #73
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm just learning to weld & fabricate and you inspire me.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #74
50wllystrk

Thanks for the compliments both of ya...

Yes, as you saw from some of the pics, I cut out the bad, drew a templet from cardboard. Now I used a Torchmate to do the cutting to create the patch. My old way, same as most. would be to transfer the templet to a flat plate and gas torch or plasma cut the patch. I do very much taper the edges of the old frame and the new patch, so much so that the weld wants to burn through to the back side. Main thing then is to focus the weld to the thicker metals and sweep across the thin metal in the middle.

Then doing the opposite side goes easier since you now have more material to absorb the heat.

I grind the weld with a 4 1/2 inch grinder. Grind till the weld is still slightly higher than the frame metal. Then identify any low spots in the weld seem. Now focus on the low spots with a pass of the Mig welder. This filling and grinding may take a few repeats. Once the whole weld is just slightly higher than the frame, get a brand new 40 grit flap disc. The grinder spins at some 20.000 rpm, with little or no pressure focus on the weld, you will see the weld smoothly decrease right to the height of the frame, keeping the grinder moving back and forth at all times.

The key... NEW flap discs, it has to be new, if it aint new for this final grind, you will have to put pressure on the grinder which then the flap disc will try to follow the shape of the weld instead of the weld giving into the grinder. Yes, you will change the flap disc rather quickly, it only works when the disc is like new. BUT, the disc is not wasted, it'll still work perfect for all you other needs so you still get a full life out of it.
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #75
50wllystrk

Who remembers the butt ugly ends of the main cross frame. The last we saw them they were badly rusted and weak. With a quick sandblasting we can now make out what is salvagable and what needs repair.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.