1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #46
50wllystrk

Later I've got some pics of the Torchmate. For now we'll look at one of its cuttings. Like I mentioned earlier, once i grinded clean the area that I need to replace the bad section I traced it on to cardboard and created cutpath. Without being able to trace, scan, and cut it would be difficult to create such odd shapes with the cad system. Here's one pic, I'll try to get more uploaded later.

By the way, thanks for all the encouragement.

50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #47
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is awesome how you can cut out those pieces. Love this truck.
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #48
50wllystrk

94yjstocklook, I'm glad you like the progress. Trust me, I've done my share of metal work, but to hack up a frame does make me a little nervous, on the other hand, if I don't take care of the issues, it'll be worse later.
If you all are like me, I am always looking to find other peoples home fabrication work. I hope you enjoy.
Here I've got different angles at the same repair.

Unread 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #49
ReMike
1993 YJ Wrangler 

very nice that weld looks awesome, cant wait for more progress!
ReMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #50
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would there be any necessity for a fish-plate to make that stronger? My fab guys here at the shop do this on frame extensions, anything were the frame would carry weight. Also, I'm told never to weld up and down on a frame as it lowers the structural integrity. Is this true?

Thanks much...I'm a bit of a novice but I got part of the idea.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #51
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow i was thinking same thing . never a straight vertical line . looks pi$$a . wish i could fab like that .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
50wllystrk

Ok, good deal, we're starting to get some fabriction input. Absolutly, if there is someone with technical information on this type of fab work, I'm all for it. My pride doesn't step in front of my ability to learn something new.

To get back and to clarify my goal is to simply get rid of the badly weakened areas. Now, at the same time I don't want to see evidence of any fabrication when I'm done. Within the next couple nights I should post pics of these patches fully welded and finished to a point where the new and old metals show no welds between them. It'll be a seemless repair.

A fish plate, I'm not familiar with the term. This doesn't mean it's not the right term, just means I'm just a backyard guy who likes to fabricate metal. I do however have an idea of what your thinking. The idea that when two flats are butt welded, you would have a seperate plate that would span across both pieces being welded together and by welding this plate in place it serves to add to the strength of the butt weld and eliminate any flexing in the area.

As for a vertical weld, welding up and down, I can imagine it would create a weak spot in a area that will carry large amounts of weight. I could see a better design would be a the two pieces attached at more of an angle, it would spread the direct weight load over a larger area.

I'm mearly opening a discussion here.

Tonight we've got the same area, just more cut away. Looking closely at previous pics of this area you can see where the frame rails have become literally paper thin. Hang in there, the next pics will show these repairs welded and dressed where these will be seamless repairs.

Unread 07-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #53
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'm a fan of that show on tv "the power block" one of the segments deals with restorations and restomods . the guy is a fabricating guru . he suggests not to cut and weld verticals or long vertical straight lines but instead to cut fish mouths into the "work" to make a curved repair . this tends to keep the area from flexing and cracking from the stress of the weld itself . my personal skills pale to what you're doing so i cant speak of first hand knowledge . also fish plating is something i've seen alot in the fab section on jf . love the truck man .
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #54
50wllystrk

No problem herbiehind, I'm simply glad to have you aboard and following along. I don't get to watch tv at the time Speedvision or Spike shows the powerblock or the other car related rebuild shows. But...on the rare occasion I am home and the tv goes to any of these programs, I'm in. Like I said, I'm always up for good learning or discussing different avenues of fabrication.
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #55
50wllystrk

Tonight we're looking at the strength of rust growing between two inmovable objects. The upward bump in the frame here is from rust that grew between the spring perch and the frame itself.

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #56
Muckaneer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Crawled! What a ride!! Can't wait to see the progress.
Muckaneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #57
50wllystrk

Thanks Muckaneer, It's encouraging when people check in.

So far we've focused on the vertical parts of the frame and replacing the rusted sections. Here we're gonna focus on the lower/horizontal edges of the frame. Actually this lower section will tie all the sections together.

Since the passenger side lower frame was the better side I was careful to use a cutting wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder. I wanted it to retain it's shape, slight bend and width.

I made a cardboard templet and scanned it. I did add to a couple areas of the new cut so I had material to work with, but otherwise I let the Torchmate do the cutting to match the original piece.

Unread 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #58
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Tonight we're looking at the strength of rust growing between two inmovable objects. The upward bump in the frame here is from rust that grew between the spring perch and the frame itself.

wow!!! makes you wonder why the perch bought it and not the frame? frame is better metallurgy? it'd be cool to know . kinda like the strength of confined ice in roads and rocks etc.
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #59
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lovin the updates. Are you thinking about boxing in the frame or just repairing the rusted sections?
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #60
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
wow!!! makes you wonder why the perch bought it and not the frame? frame is better metallurgy? it'd be cool to know . kinda like the strength of confined ice in roads and rocks etc.
Actually the bolt holes before and after and the two near there on the vertical part is where the spring perch was riveted to the frame. In the area where it wrinkled the frame in these pics is where the spring perch had a 90 degree bend. Oh how a bend in metal can raise it's refusal to lose it's shape. So the frame being flat in this area had little resistance to the force being applied here and had to give.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.