1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1950 Willys Truck re-rebuild

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
Awesome truck, very jealous!

Just wondering, do you live in Salem? I try to make 1 or 2 trips a summer to Montauk State park near Licking. I know the park's address is actually Salem, Mo. My Grandpa has a house near the park so I'm kinda familiar with the area.
Yes, I'm about 10 miles east of Montauk, you've got the right place. I moved here from Belvidere, near Rockford Il. about 5 years ago, and never looked back. So the truck roamed that area from 1985 -2006.
Thanks for the compliment.

50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #32
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Subscribed! I love those old trucks, you don't see may of them around
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will be watching this build. That truck looks awesome! Best of luck to you!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
50wllystrk

I hope everyone had a nice weekend... pretty darn hot in this part of the country.
Let's dig into some more nastiness shall we. Pictures pretty well explain themselves. Here's a closer look into a crossframe to main frame connection.

Finally we're starting to grind and drill out those 61 year old rivets. Question...If I take out the cross brace will it go back in again. How did the factory do it? We'll deal with that later, for now we just need to keep moving forward.
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I want a Willys truck, and I would want it too look just like that,.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #36
50wllystrk

It's cool to see all who like the looks of this truck, you see what I saw 26 years ago. And yes, it is the lift and tires that really sets it apart. As every year passes by it becomes more of a moving piece of american history.

I got the rivets drilled out, and it looks like with a little beating this cross frame will be able to be repaired and fit back into place. That's good news I was afraid the main frame would have to be spread apart to get it back in place again.
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #37
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Your wipers remind me of someone raising one eyebrow going WTF.
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
50wllystrk

Wow, another flashback.... Your right iDriveYJ, it does have a look to it.
My flashback is refering to when I got the truck someone before me ripped out all the original wiper linkage.
If anyone out there has a truck around the same year I ask, does the factory use a vacuum wiper motor and was the original using cables to run the wipers or did they use actual linkage to operate the wipers?

Back to my flashback.. I used a Chevy Nova electric motor to run the wipes. I mounted the motor under the dash. I remember I hooked up (temporarily) the wipers and linkage to the motor. Of course there was cutting and adapting going on. Anyway, I turned the wipers on the first time, oops, one wiper did great, it wiped the window perfect. The other went down and wiper the sheet metal below the window. Back to the drawing board.

Under the dash i didn't have the space to run the linkage to get the wipers as the factory did.

But..If I moved the pivot point of the passenger side it would be that both blades would be down facing to the right and raise at the same time.

Good eye iDriveYJ.
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #39
50wllystrk

Cross frame is out, now I can get right to the individual areas that need attention.

In this pic of the drivers side I still need to get rid of the web like bracing and we'll be down to just the main frame also. Then it's time to start cutting away the rusted through sections of the frame.
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #40
GotJeeps
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
If anyone out there has a truck around the same year I ask, does the factory use a vacuum wiper motor and was the original using cables to run the wipers or did they use actual linkage to operate the wipers?
The 51 I'm working on had a vacuum wiper motor with cables running the wipers. No linkage. The engine we installed is to tight in the engine bay to use the factory wiper motor location so we went with this.

http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com...s.php?c=2&t=13

You can also get an electric wiper motor modified to work with the factory cables, etc.. from kaiserwillys.com they could probably even hook you up with some used wiper cables, transmissions, etc..
GotJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #41
50wllystrk

Thanks GotJeeps, I thought I saw where they have come up with an electric replacement for the original vacuum motor, good invention.

Ok, finally were gonna see some real metal removal. This first picture is a hunk I cut out of the passenger side just behind the cab. Looking at the old hunk of metal here you can see where I realized 26 years ago that there was a frame issue. I welded a patch right over the rusted through area. Hmmmmm, cosmetically apealing, nope, but it did serve the purpose of keeping the frame from twisting out of shape.

Next picture, cardboard, whats with the cardboard. As I mentioned in the beginning we're gonna utilize Torchmate plasma cutting table. By using the cardboard and a sharpie marker I'll trace the exact image on cardboard. Once I draw the image I'll scan the image to torchmate and it'll cut the replacement frame section for me.
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #42
doubleg
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aw man, I seen this thing in the Walmart parking lot over Memorial Day weekend was I was out at Flat Nasty. I took a couple of pics of it on my phone. I love it!! Awesome build man. Im going to continue to follow it.
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #43
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
Aw man, I seen this thing in the Walmart parking lot over Memorial Day weekend was I was out at Flat Nasty. I took a couple of pics of it on my phone. I love it!! Awesome build man. Im going to continue to follow it.

Nahhh, couldn't be the same one....Just kidddin, there ain't no sneaking around with this truck.
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #44
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #45
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

This is awesome!!!!
USN Jeep Club #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
On a 1-10 scale, I give it.... Tits.
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.