The 1950 M38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The 1950 M38

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

The 1950 M38

I came on the site to ask a question and just figured since you all were jeep guys you may wanna see it.
My dad got it around when I was born. It was a mess back then but still got around and my dad enjoyed driving it around where we used to live.
When I was about 8 we moved and it baked and rusted in the Florida heat and humidity for a couple of years.
It started going downhill fast, it just sat. We didn't have the time or money to do anything with it so she just sat. I REALLY wish I had some before pictures. She was basically a Lime green rust bucket sitting on cinder blocks, no carb, air cleaner, Seats, Wind shield, tons of things.
My dad finally got a little more money and we decided she needed some TLC because it wouldn't be sticking around.
I would say it was right on the edge of no return. It is by no means a show car and wasn't a frame off. But we did what we could and it looks 1000x better.

Its hard to tell problems and issues with these pics but believe me I know all of them. Recently a leaf spring decided to go out so its resting on the rubber ATM and its got lockouts on the front because the front diff got water in it (don't ask because I don't know). The Gears rusted and started tearing up.

The M38 was made for only a few years. The first year,1950 was only a few months. In 1950 only a few thousand were made. By today with the way the government does away with cars and people turn them into rusting boggers, there are probably only a few hundred of them left. When coming back to America many men pushed the jeeps into the ocean to make room on the ships. It sad, but thats the way it was and it makes me even more proud that we brought these piece of history back to life.
In a year or two, after we move, we will do a frame off and she will be * Perfect*.
In 17 years the engine hasn't been rebuilt, she still start right up even on 6 month old fuel.

These pics were taken a while back, mid resto, as you can see I hadn't put the new tires on the Spare rim yet. Its ok though.

sidescrollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
DannyDuvall
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does the AC work? Just Kidding,nice jeep...It is nice to see someone bring a piece of history back to life.
DannyDuvall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDuvall View Post
Does the AC work? Just Kidding,nice jeep...It is nice to see someone bring a piece of history back to life.
Lol its funny because you would think it is pretty cool riding down the road with it totally open like that right??

Well yeah for a while. The thing is its just metal for a firewall, no insulation. Anyone who knows a flathead knows what I am talking about. THEY GET HOT.

Its weird because you are getting a mix of cool air all around you but your legs get hot if you ride around and run it really hard for a while.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

damn you actually wheel it? that's sick

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
I guess we don't see eye to eye when we use the term "wheelin". Very nice jeep tho.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebout View Post
I guess we don't see eye to eye when we use the term "wheelin". Very nice jeep tho.
I think nething off road is wheeling haha considering i still do logging and fire roads

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think nething off road is wheeling haha considering i still do logging and fire roads
I know I was just pokin at ya.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
You gotta love Steel bumpers. There were some trees in the to get back to that spot and I just knocked them over
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Agh I don't really go offroadin in the traditional sense, she gets around and gets driven plenty though.
I hate seeing anything vintage with 200 miles on it. Thats BS. Enjoy them, they want to do what they were made for not sit in the garage.

Stupid trailer queens and old people...

When I move I am hoping to get a cJ7 or something along those lines. Go offroadin in the Geoergia mountains
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidescrollin View Post
Agh I don't really go offroadin in the traditional sense, she gets around and gets driven plenty though.
I hate seeing anything vintage with 200 miles on it. Thats BS. Enjoy them, they want to do what they were made for not sit in the garage.

Stupid trailer queens and old people...

When I move I am hoping to get a cJ7 or something along those lines. Go offroadin in the Geoergia mountains
I agree with that 100%. Oh and let me know when you do come up to the GA mountains and I'll show you around.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
I agree with that 100%. Oh and let me know when you do come up to the GA mountains and I'll show you around.
Lol no way, where in GA do you live?
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about 20mins from Dalton and the same from Cartersville, so in short N. GA.
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
I'm about 20mins from Dalton and the same from Cartersville, so in short N. GA.
Ha, no kidding huh. I will be moving back to where I used to live fairly soon. Marrietta.
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Marietta isn't too far. About 30 mins from my front door. When you moving back up?
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Marietta isn't too far. About 30 mins from my front door. When you moving back up?
Trying to move up within the next month or so. Right now we are trying to find a car to haul the Dogs in. I actually got lead to this site because I was asking about the reliability of the 4.0 and whether or not 3 great danes will fit in the back of a ZJ with the seats folded down.

I got a lady who isn't using hers and wants 750 for it. Its got 132k miles on it, the engine only has 50k miles on it. The drivers door doesn't lock, it needs new brakes, the interior needs "cleaning" and the tires are getting a little old.

I need to go into town and look at it because I am concerned with rust and what "needs to be cleaned" means.

If its in halfway decent shape and doesn't NEED tires I might be getting a jeep for 750 XD.
I really want a cj7 but if we end up buying it and not finding a tahoe or Bronco or somethin then I will probably build it up and take it offroad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.