Decided to make a separate build thread for this rig so it is condensed into one nice build thread
Here is what we are starting with and what I know about it as of today, 7/13/14. It is a April 1942 script Willys MB, It is USMC first contract which if I have been understanding correctly makes it one of the more rare MB's. I am still learning tons about this vehicle every day and will update this first post as I find more out. We are planning to restore this old MB into a nice looking, nice driving, original USMC MB.
It is mostly complete/original with a few things that are not correct for the vehicle. The only things on it not original to a '42 MB are the block (was replaced with a 3A block) wheels, front bumper, gauges, exhaust routing, brake booster, shift knob, and air cleaner. Luckily all of this stuff can be sourced so it's not a big deal. There are a few rust spots to deal with but overall the body and frame are in great shape considering it is 72 years old.
We will be finishing the offroad trailer project first before diving into this one. Might do little things such as recover the hood numbers in the meantime though
Today I picked up a rusty old MB engine for the Jeep. This Jeep came with a block out of a Willys truck with a late model MB head. Finding a early '42 block and head like what would have gone originally on this Jeep is next to impossible, so I settled for this late '44 block and head which is good enough for me. The good news about the engine being swapped is that whoever did it left all the original military stuff like the 6v generator so at least all that is original.
This little engine weighs close to 400lbs.
A correct '42 head wouldn't have "Jeep" or Willys" written on it like pictured.
I've been working on the MB for a few after work every once in a while, I just can't stay away from it no matter how much I try to concentrate onfinishing my offroad trailer Just doing tear down for now. Gotta say, this vehicle definitely wins the award for easiest to work on ever.
I've got most of the interior out, and starting taking some of the electrical stuffs out of the engine to inspect it as some of these components can be quite expensive to replace. Just the voltage regulator is $300 if you can find one in good shape.
Upon removal of things I found some good ole rust (yay) that will need some curing. I'll probably be a halfway decent body man by the end of this project.
Found another USMC number on the back, gas can carrier wasn't orginal from the factory
Haven't been updating this forum as much but progress is still slow. Compared to the picture above nearly everything that is attached to the engine and body is stripped. Only have to cut all the body bolts off and then the tub will be off. I hate rust.
Some new to me parts include a period correct voltage regulator cover and a period correct fuel tank.
Also the saga of the electric windshield wiper motor.. only the USMC and Candian MB's came with the electric motor and finding the original one is impossible. Still trying to find out what this particular motor was used on and if it's even usable for my MB.
Progress should pick up once I can get this bad boy in the garage.