A 14 year old boys dream!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A 14 year old boys dream!!!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you've got the twin to my jeep!

jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well my dad was off for a few days back in march so he helped me remove the tub. I am going to be ordering new sides for the tub, por 15 under it or a roll on rubber coating. not sure yet. The frame will be sanded, and por-15 will be aplied to it. But I found a f*****g hole in the rear of the frame!! looks like ill be buying new pieces for the rear. Oh did I mention...I HATE TORX BOLTS!! aha
riejrij3ejr.jpg   jnjni.jpg   ekefemf.jpg   eifiewjif.jpg   ijrijrijtij.jpg  

difnfiernife.jpg  
matt2299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy rust batman!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For your frame repairs, check out these guys: Auto Rust Technicians. Make sure you check the whole frame very thoroughly for weak spots. You're not going to want to remove the body again. Also, make sure the body mount tabs are in good shape.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
Looks like you've got the twin to my jeep!

wow man Love the jeep!!! Its amazing!!
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
For your frame repairs, check out these guys: Auto Rust Technicians. Make sure you check the whole frame very thoroughly for weak spots. You're not going to want to remove the body again. Also, make sure the body mount tabs are in good shape.
I went around the frame several times for about half an hour with a hammer pounding away on it. the rest seems very solid!!
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would look into getting the inside of your frame coated while the tub is removed. I've always been curious about it and with all that rust, it seems like a good sandblasting plus some coating would prevent anymore.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
I would look into getting the inside of your frame coated while the tub is removed. I've always been curious about it and with all that rust, it seems like a good sandblasting plus some coating would prevent anymore.
Good idea Kodiak, iv been thinking about doing that. Probably going to clean up the outside of the frame then tape up all the air vent holes with tape, flush then poor por15 in the frame and just keep rolling it to distribute all the coating.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2299 View Post
Good idea Kodiak, iv been thinking about doing that. Probably going to clean up the outside of the frame then tape up all the air vent holes with tape, flush then poor por15 in the frame and just keep rolling it to distribute all the coating.
I'd do something similar if not professionaly.

Unread 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2299 View Post
I have heard of people using an old sock or undershirt + a broomstick or lacrosse handle. Just a thought...

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
I have heard of people using an old sock or undershirt + a broomstick or lacrosse handle. Just a thought...
hmm sounds very intresting!! Thanks for the suggestions guys!!
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well getting up to date finnaly. Sorry guys that I havent posted a lot of pics of the dissasembly. well be taking more as time goes on tho. back in april I had gotten the exhaust off, header, drive shafts, gas tank and rear axle off also got the rear leaf springs off, but the bolts in it got rust welded in there, even smashing the bolts with a sledghammer didn't help!! so we had to cut them. sanded down a section of frame that looked real bad to me but within a minute got right down to clean metal!! It looks wors than it actualy is. Although about a foot of the rear frame must be replaced. kinda expected that.
krgnwreingiw4e.jpg   niregtireni.jpg   mnrgfiowjretio43.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
karlo

Looks like you have a lot of things to do. Good luck, dude.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
matt2299
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And so I am now finnaly up to date!! tomorrow will upload the pics of the front axle off and gona try to remove the engine. to remove the trany I had to deal with a striped star bolt on the passender side from the bellhousing to the engine, used a die grinder to grind the head off not the best way but hey to worked!! to remove the trany since I didnt have a transmission jack I used a regular car jack and a little old fashion mussle! always does the trick So guys what do you recomend to me for painting the engine block?? what type of paint should I go with?? also what is the average price to rebuild the head for the 4.0 here in canada??
Thanks!
nkjefngiurengrn.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #30
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lots options with paint, Rustoleum has a high-temp enamel for engine blocks if you wan to go cheap. In my opinion color wise, don't go with a tacky color like orange. I think a light silver would look good against the blue engine bay.

Tags
yj: wrangler: 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.