'13 Gecko JKU Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '13 Gecko JKU Build

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #76
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers

As promised, here are a few pictures of the PS sliders installed. Sorry, I totally forgot about pictures during installation. The install is pretty straight forward, good instructions. The most important part of the entire job is drilling for the nutserts. I found a step bit or unibit to be very helpful. It doesn't bite off as much at a time causing the bit to walk. Even a little bit off can cause a ton of frustration. After doing the first two and have minor issues with the bit walking I thought of the step bit. The rest of the install went very smooth.

dscn0341.jpg   dscn0342.jpg   dscn0343.jpg   dscn0345.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #77
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, that green looks great with the black armor!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #78
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Man, that green looks great with the black armor!!!!
Thanks Sonic!

Today I installed the four new steel braided brake lines. If I haven't mentioned it before, I absolutely hate working with brake fluid. That stuff is a major PITA...

I also installed the the Evo coil springs. Tomorrow I need to bleed the brakes, install the drive shafts and put the tires back on. I will also install the Poison Spyder front bumper and skid. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my shocks. I will at least have the Jeep standing on her own feet for the first time in about 6 weeks. I'll try to finish the Or-Fab tire carrier and install the ARB compressor and plumb the rear locker this weekend.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #79
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, I hit a snag with the driveshafts. The rear shaft doesn't fit and will need to be modified, it's too long. The front is questionable, it fits but I need to make sure it wil cycle properly as the front axle articulates. The only thing I can think of that is causing the problems is the 5 speed auto transmission. I had a 4" lift on my '07 JKUR and it fit perfect for it. I guess with the 2012/13 Auto equiped transmission it shortens the shaft by a few inches. Lesson learned...I'm going to a local driveshaft shop today to see what they will charge me to cut it down and rebalance. Pending price, I may even have the u-joints replaced to good quaility spicer joints. Tom Woods uses those cheap Chinese u-joints that are prone to failure.

On the bright side I did get the Jeep back on her own feet. I also installed the front bumper. I could not get the lower skid plate on yet. I need to modify the crash bar to allow proper fit. A couple pictures below...
dscn0347.jpg   dscn0348.jpg  
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #80
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Love that bumper. Looks like you're using a trike as a jack stand.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #81
MG_salsa
2008 JK Wrangler 

great work!
MG_salsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #82
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

This build is awesome!! What part of San Antonio are you in? I hope to see you around sometime, I'm over in Helotes. And once everything is all driveable you should come to one of our local Jeep club meetings!
08Helotes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #83
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_salsa View Post
great work!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Helotes View Post
This build is awesome!! What part of San Antonio are you in? I hope to see you around sometime, I'm over in Helotes. And once everything is all driveable you should come to one of our local Jeep club meetings!
Thank you as well. My wife and I lived in Helotes for 2 years after we married. We lived in Sonoma Ranch in Helotes, we absolutely love that area. As our family grew we needed a larger home. We now live off Hwy 151 near Sea World. What Jeep club are you in? Always looking for fellow jeepers to hit the trails with...

David M
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #84
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Our club is Jeep Nation! Awesome group of people, really relaxed atmosphere, very family friendly. We have our meetings on the first saturday of the month at the old west burgers off of 1604! Look them up on facebook, all you have to do to be in is fill out a form, and thats so they have all of your info!

Hope to see you around!
08Helotes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #85
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wahoo! The Jeep is running again...Finally! I am still planning to have it put on a rack and properly aligned. It drives great with no vibrations whatsoever. I did have to have both driveshafts length modified. Rear shorter, front longer, I also had Spicer U-Joints installed. It's not complete yet, still need to install ARB compressor, plumb rear locker.

On a side note: I too had problems with the poison spyder front skid plate. I know Mike (Mol) doesn't hold PSC with the highest regard for this reason among others. I had been extremely pleased with their products until this one. The holes were off, not as bad as the one Mol had but enough that it took having to drill out all the holes to make the bolts. Frustrating to say the least! I still love the products. I did get the Or-Fab spare tire carrier with rotopax and absolutely love it as well. Enjoy the pictures...I'll post more details on the lift, ride, flex, gear choice, etc after logging some more miles.
dscn0352.jpg   dscn0353.jpg   dscn0354.jpg   dscn0355.jpg   dscn0356.jpg  

dscn0357.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #86
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #87
MGIMELLI
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks great. Any plans for the rear bumper? Or will you go bumper less?
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #88
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like the tire carrier... It is one of a couple that inspired mine!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #89
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Looks great
Thanks Holaday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIMELLI View Post
Looks great. Any plans for the rear bumper? Or will you go bumper less?
Yes, I will be replacing it but undecided on which...At this point I will probably continue with the Poison Spyder theme. Must save up, the Jeep fund has been depleted for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
I like the tire carrier... It is one of a couple that inspired mine!
Thanks! I too really like them a lot but man are they a ***** to install.
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #90
David_M
2013 JK Wrangler 

Now that I have a few miles driven my initial impressions are as follows:

1. Gear selection of 4.56:1 seems perfect. At 70 MPH (GPS verified) the engine is turning a happy 2550-2600 RPM. In stock configuration I was at 2450-2500 at 70 MPH. Highway drivability is near perfect.

2. Concern over Detroit locker in front axle seems to be a non-issue. I haven't totally ruled out concern and will not until I can make a run in 4 high at moderate speed to be sure the computer doesn't have a problem. But, on the street, no issues at all thus far.

3. 4" Evo plush ride coil springs. These things are awesome! I have never rode in a Jeep with such a smooth, soft comfortable ride. I love them so far, interested to test them on the trails.

4. Currie front Antirock swaybar. I can feel it is not as ridged as stock but not to the point of uncomfortable. Took a little getting used to going into turns but I'm sure this is not just the antilock. Tire pressure, springs, etc all weigh into the equation. Over all I'm quite pleased with the road manners and am thrilled to have it back on the road.

Closing thoughts...Damn does that front bumper look naked without a winch. Fenders were at the top of my wish list. However, I may need to adjust my priorities.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.