'13 Gecko JKU Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '13 Gecko JKU Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

'13 Gecko JKU Build

...And so it begins! After selling my '07 JKUR, I finalized a deal on my new 2013 JKU Sport S in Gecko Pearl. I know it's a love it or hate it color but I happen to be a lover. I have big plans for this baby! I was ever so close to buying a rubicon, but after much thought and considiration I decided to build up a sport. In the long run dollar for dollar I will have a rig better suited for the rock crawling I do here in South Central Texas. Pics as she sits now, stock just home from the dealer. Didn't even go thru make ready due to bad weather in the area. I'll take it back for a clean up after the rain passes this weekend.

dscn0141.jpg   dscn0142.jpg   dscn0143.jpg  
David_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
bigredhawkeye
WJ'ing

2000 WJ 

Will be following this. I personally like the color as well, especially paired with black accents (black wheels, etc.)

WJ Expedition Build Thread

My Travel Thread
bigredhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Build plans are as follows:
4" lift, Currie control arms and front Anti-rock, EVO plush coils, Fox Resi-shocks.
ProRock 44 Unlimited with 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker, RCV Shafts, Synergy ball joints, Reid Knuckles.
Synergy Steering components.
Rear ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Ten Factory 32 spline axle shafts.
37" Toyo Open Country M/T Tires.
ATX Slab Beadlock wheels
Or-Fab Spare Tire Carrier
Poisen Spyder Mid length front bumper with skid.
Poisen Spyder Steel sliders.
AEV Procal.
SPod.
Rubicon 4:1 Transfer Case swap.

Comments, suggestions always welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read about my build. I will do my best to keep everyone updated as often as possible.

Thanks, David M
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice to see that you are building your own rubi.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. Waiting for another certain Gecko to show up.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
DarK_Reaper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Love that color! I got a 2 door Rubicon

Will be following!
DarK_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
tazer15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

?

4.56s and 37s??????
tazer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Love that color. I think it looks better with the black top vs the color matched top. It's going to look great on 37s.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments and interest in my build. Regarding gear ratio choice, that is not for sure yet, just the direction I am leaning. I might go 4.88, i am still researching and listing to others who have already regeared. I do live in a fairly flat region in Texas. I would appreciate any feedback on the subject. I am keeping an open mind on the topic for now.

David M
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, The parts have been ordered. Huge kuddos to David @ Northridge, First class service and awesome pricing. I decided to go with the 4.56 gears. I know some of you may think that is a mistake. I just have to give it a try. There is so much conflicting information on the forums that I just went with my gut. I will see how they are and report back with my opinon. If I hate it or am not happy with 4.56 gears. I'll make a change, luckly for me I have an uncle who sets up gears for a living and is always willing to help me out. So I can do a gear change for about $500-600.

I am currently out of town on a business trip but this weekend the Jeep will go up on jackstands for a while. I will remove both axles, the front will be replaced with the new PR44, the rear will go on a road trip with me for the Christmas Holiday. My uncle lives 3 1/2 hours south of me and since my family was already headed down there, I'll take the oppertunity to regear the rear D44.

As for the Rubicon transfer case swap. This one might turn out more complicated than I first antisipated. I am still researching but I believe it will need to be out of a 2012/13 year model Rubicon. I am told they are different than the early model JK's. They are hard enough to find, by limiting the years to just 2012/13 that is really going to make it difficult. I still need to confirm if the transfer cases are the same from a 6 speed manual and the 5 speed automatics on the 2012/13 year models. If anyone has one for sale or knows someone who is selling one please let me know ASAP.

Thanks, David M
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

The journey has begun. The jeep sits where it will be resting for the next month to month and a half...On Jack Stands! I got the rear axle out today. I'll drop the front axle tomorrow.
dscn0149.jpg   dscn0169.jpg   dscn0171.jpg  
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunately, UPS seems to have lost, or delivered to the wrong location my rear ARB locker. I was unable to complete the re-gear in the back axle over the Christmas holiday as I originally planned. I already have both axle's removed along with all the suspension and steering components.

I will remove the front bumper and grill along with the fenders and fender liners. The front bumper will be replaced with the new Poison Spyder mid length bumper and skid. I want to install some kind of mesh behind the grill and possibly paint the grill opening side walls black. I need to trim the pinch seams for the 37" tires. I am thinking of trimming the stock fenders some just to hold me off until I can decide which fenders I want. I am leaning toward having the wheel wells sprayed with Linex or equivalent. Maybe even Linex the door hinges.

I expect most of my parts to be shipping next week. I'll be traveling on business the following two weeks. Not much will happen until the 3rd week in Jan. Stay tuned...
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you're a member of JKO or not but heres a link explaining the differences of Rubi cases.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86377

They do appear to be different in the 2012/2013, 6speed needs a 6 speed Rubi case and the Auto needs an auto Rubi case.

Hope this helps.
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty cool to be working on a BRAND NEW rig, I can only imagine. Good for you man! Oh yeah, and with amount of HP you have... I think the gear choice will be fine.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Not sure if you're a member of JKO or not but heres a link explaining the differences of Rubi cases.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86377

They do appear to be different in the 2012/2013, 6speed needs a 6 speed Rubi case and the Auto needs an auto Rubi case.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that information. Pretty much confirms what I thought based on prior discussions with other forum members. I do appreciate the additional info tho. I already left a message with Motech, I am hopeful they have a 2012/13 Rubicon transfer case out of an auto equipped Rubicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Pretty cool to be working on a BRAND NEW rig, I can only imagine. Good for you man! Oh yeah, and with amount of HP you have... I think the gear choice will be fine.
I feel good about my selection of gear ratio, only time will tell. I will certainly post an honest opinion after I log some miles on the new set up.

Thanks, David M

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.