12in stretch and waggy d44 swap on my yj. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 12in stretch and waggy d44 swap on my yj.

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #46
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ive decided to go this route on my tank setup. i grabbed it for $136 brand new on ebay. it fits perfectly behind the rear seat. and its a 15 gallon. Part # 2162a

heres a pic of it installed in someones jeep, they cut the floor and dropped it in. i dont think im gonna chop my floor.

94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #47
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular7 View Post

That tow hitch point is really too high to be used to tow a trailer (other than custom). Most are 18" high. Reconfigure recovery point(s) more off the frame rails.
its not a tow hitch, there use to be a swing out tire carrier, and it slide in there for support , also this isnt a DD anymore. and never gonna haul a trailer i have a ZJ for that. i have dozer weld on D rings for recovery. i had to remove them to install the new hangers. i will be welding them back on. here is pics of my recovery points.

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
ive decided to go this route on my tank setup. i grabbed it for $136 brand new on ebay. it fits perfectly behind the rear seat. and its a 15 gallon. Part # 2162a

heres a pic of it installed in someones jeep, they cut the floor and dropped it in. i dont think im gonna chop my floor.

Hey that is a good looking Jeep!
Actually that is mine.
The reason I sunk it into the floor was to give me space to put a tool box above it.
The stock pump does work but I have had a problem burning them out.
I have had to replace the fuel pump every couple of years, and this is a play toy so I do not put too many miles on it a year.
The only thing I can think of is the pump is not in the fuel all the time, making the pump hot and burning it up.
Over the winter I extended the fuel line in the sender so the pump would sit on the bottom of the cell.
Thought this would solve my problem but I had to replace it this summer anyway.
I will be going to a external pump this winter.
Make sure when using these cells you use straps to hold them down.
If you just use the tabs that are on the cell they will eventually crack and the cell will leak.
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #49
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im going to strap mine down. ive been debating on cutting my tank like yours to put my fuel pump in it or to put a inline high pressure pump in. my stock pump is brand new and has a lifetime warranty . have you thought about installing the foam?
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #50
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im going to strap mine down. ive been debating on cutting my tank like yours to put my fuel pump in it or to put a inline high pressure pump in. my stock pump is brand new and has a lifetime warranty . have you thought about installing the foam?
No from everything I have read the foam breaks down eventually and clogs everything up.
All my fuel pumps had lifetime warrenties too.
I do not use them though as I know why they are going bad.
It is from abuse not a problem with the pumps.
I guess I am a little too honest.
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #51
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok i think ill be fine with installing my stock pump in the take and im thinking of making a retaining wall inside the tank around the pump to kinda keep the gas from beating the hell out of the pump. just like inside any normal vehicles gas tank.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #52
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok i think ill be fine with installing my stock pump in the take and im thinking of making a retaining wall inside the tank around the pump to kinda keep the gas from beating the hell out of the pump. just like inside any normal vehicles gas tank.
Please do a write up.
This something I would be interested in!
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #53
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well ive got it driveable. it feels so weird driving it stretched and wider . ive got a few things to finish up before its trail ready, going to extend my front driveshaft and make some shock hoops. ive done this whole swap/stretch in my front yard, the axles, steering , shocks are all from the wagoneer, the steering box is from astro van, my drive shafts are from a zj grand cherokee made to fit. the only thing ive had to buy new was the RCI fuel cell. and my axle swap kit and hangers from Ruff Stuff

but here is some pics

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #54
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My new RCI fuel cell has arrived. and i now noticed i screwed up a little, the tank TSEJEEPERS bought was a 2161a tank which is 30L 9W and 12T , i bought a 2162a which is the same tank just on its side. mine is 30L 12W and 9T . i dont think 3 inches wider is gonna matter behind my back seat. ill find out in the AM. if it is ill just move my back seat up enough to clear the tank if there is a problem . good thing is its not as tall so ill have more room and dont need to cut my floor out like TSEJEEPER did.

also TSEJEEPER i got a note with my tank, they No longer have tabs on tanks. the tabs were for location only and people were using them to hold the tanks and it wouldnt hold, tanks require straps.

also i love how seller packed the tank, they foam filled the box around the tank lol

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #55
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i flexed it a little today to see what she's got. also i extended my front drive shaft today, so its ready to install.

Unread 09-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

drove her around town today. so glad to see the finish line, tmw im installling front shock hoops and front shocks, then taking her out on her first trail ride.

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #57
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Installed my fuel cell today and my back seat , i used an external high pressure fuel pump part # e2000 from a ford econoline van. it runs great.

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #58
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What are you doing for the fuel gauge?
I have read that you can use the one that is already in the fuel cell, but I tried it and it did not work.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #59
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Installed my fuel cell today and my back seat , i used an external high pressure fuel pump part # e2000 from a ford econoline van. it runs great.

Interesting, I did not realize any vehicle came stock with a external pump.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #60
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my buddy has a yota with a fuel cell and same pump, it holds 45 psi. or you can buy one from walbro, them make high pressure inline pumps.
im using the fuel sending unit that came in tank, it works great.

heres some more flexing pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.