12in stretch and waggy d44 swap on my yj. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 12in stretch and waggy d44 swap on my yj.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

12in stretch and waggy d44 swap on my yj.

ok guys, i finally got time to get this project going. my plans are to swap out my xj d44/d30 to waggy d44's and also going SOA and stretching my wheel base to 106 in. now i dont have a shop , i am doing this in my back yard. im using waggy axles from a 89, im using a astro steering box , and custom packed XJ leaf springs. also using boomerang shackles.

here is a before pic of my yj when i got it.

here is my donor 89 grand wagoneer

time to strip off what i need from the wagoneer. i gave $500 for the whole jeep and once i pulled everything i needed, i parted the rest out and made $1700, so it was a great score.

heres the kit i bought from RuffStuff, this stuff is pure beef and im very happy with it. all 3/8 solid steel.

and heres where im sitting at right now, things are coming together very nicely . i cant wait to drive this thing.

94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i will be removing the body lift from previous owner, and also doing a belly tuck/skid , ill get more pics of my progress and keep everyone posted, still have to make driveshafts, and brake lines and setup my steering.
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your doors and top don't line up. haha, sounds like a good plan
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Your doors and top don't line up. haha, sounds like a good plan
top is for soft doors, my original soft top shunk over the summer , so i bought that one cheap to cover it.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
i will be removing the body lift from previous owner, and also doing a belly tuck/skid , ill get more pics of my progress and keep everyone posted, still have to make driveshafts, and brake lines and setup my steering.
If you keep the body lift and do a motor mount lift, it will make it easier to do the belly tuck/skid.
What are you doing for the fuel tank?
Fuel cell?
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
what is your plan for the belly tuck?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke

what is your plan for the belly tuck?
Hey man you're back,
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my plan is to just clock my transfer case and put a full flat steel sheet. im doing my fuel tank right now. im putting the dent in it and molding the poly tank to fit.

glad to see ya here poke, my build has been inspired by you and ERock.

for my steering it looks like im clear on using the stock waggy stuff with the astro box. later ill upgrade to high steer.

my leafs are xj rears, and waggy rears packed together for the front and rear.
im building my rear drive shaft from a ZJ and chopping it down, the front i still havent found a long enough driveshaft.
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Recut the spring perches so the spring sits just above the axle tubing. There is no need for all that space. Also cut all that length out of them. It does nothing but limit flex and will not deal with axle wrap. If you build your own trans mount and rework your tunnel you wont need the BL. Keep an eye on the poly fuel tank dimple. I did mine years before the thread on pirate and it eventually cracked and leaked. The odd thing is it fixed itself. It wont stay that way so ill have to replace it. XJ shafts are not the most beefy and have been known to fail under YJs. If you want to take advantage of the SOA shock hoops/towers will be needed.
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

in the pic its not all on its own weight as you can see i have blocks holding it up, its now sitting alot lower. i cant cut the perchers any lower since i already cut the driver side so it will sit on the housing and match the height of the passenger side. i plan on making shock towers. but thats towards the bottom of my to do list lol, right now i just want to get it all welded up and bolted up to see where im gonna be sitting.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm watching this build. I just picked up a Waggy 44 and 8.8 already set up for SOA YJ with 4.88 gears. My original plan was for SUA with the D30 and S35 with Chromolies I have in the garage with 4.88 gears, but this guy gave me a deal i couldn't refuse so my searching SOA builds is in full swing right now. I'm thinking waggy front springs all around, but also thinking XJ leafs in the rear.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

everything is welded up , i gave up on denting the gas tank, its a PITA, got the skid cut and bent that was easy. i just coudnt seem to get the tank to form in the skid with a heat gun. . so now ill just save up a little and buy a fuel cell and put it behind my back seat. unless someone knows a trick on how to get it to form easier lol.

this is my second time stick welding , not to shabby.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Use a torch on the tank.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
Use a torch on the tank.
X2 torch is better but soonermatt used his barbeque. lol search his name here and you will find it just takes patience and even heat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.