1 Ton 99 XJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1 Ton 99 XJ

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #91
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post

Love the..."Oh I just bent up a little 3/8"...
I thought I spied a press in your shop? You should make a brake- it's easy to make, and makes for easy work.

Hey so I'm trying to avoid welding to the cast as much as possible. It will end up needing a little though. Maybe you can come by sometime and give me a few pointers. I've just been using flux core for everything and I'm pretty sure I don't want to use that for any cast work.

Unread 04-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #92
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep! Glad to see some one doing a lot of fab work to an xj instead of a yj tj or jk haha Im doing an axle swap in mine so this made me what it even more Keep up the good work
dillonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #93
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Can't wait to wheel with this thing!
Me too!
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #94
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The list is getting smaller!

Front:
-Plate frame rails
-Track bar mount
-Track bar
-Frame link mounts
-Links
-Axle bracketry
-New brake parts
-Steering linkage
-Fender flares
-Brake lines
-Modify bumper

Rear:
-Install tank skid
-Tank cover
-Run fuel lines
-Brake line to axle
-Patch body with sealer
-Fender flares
-Paint and bedline
-New bumper
-Bumpstops

My goal is June 1st; I think this is possible.
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #95
GSSFC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got to see this beast in person.

It's really nice. Ben you are doing awesome work. Can't wait to see the finished product. The other satisfaction I got from seeing your build, is that I am slightly ahead of you on my build!

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #96
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This weekend, I got the RE track bar mount installed. I don't plan to plate the front unibody/frame section for now, because I have 1/4" plating behind my bumper mounts, a C-Rok steering brace behind the steering box, the front bumper solidly ties the front end together, and the RE mount has a brace that ties into the passenger side. So, I think that's fine for what I'm doing, although I may change my mind next season. This also gave me a good chance to install the drivers side Brown Dog engine bracket, which I never got around to doing last summer.

I also started covering up the sides of the gas tank enclosure. I'll run some kind of sealer along the seams to keep vapors out of the cabin, and also drill some holes in the skid to allow good ventilation to the outside.

That's all for this weekend.
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #97
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am slightly ahead of you on my build!

Tim
I'd better pick up the pace!
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #98
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I'm thinking about the tank filler tube. If I use the stock fuel door, the tube would be just about horizontal. Would this be a problem, say if the body was leaning to the side, would gas come out of the filler from a nearly full tank?

My other thought was to build a wrangler style filler with a scrap piece of 4" exhaust tubing I have sitting around. I would notch it through the fender and cut it flush with the outside and weld it to the quarter panel. The filler neck will fit inside the 4" tube with minor trimming of mounting flange.

What do you guys think? Will the factory location even be a problem?

I also finished the sides of the box tonight. I think the back is less than an inch from the hatch when it's closed.

edit: Actually, I think it hits- but still latches! I'll have to cut off that part of the plastic interior liner.

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #99
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm waiting for parts to go any further with the front axle, so I started modifying the front bumper to fit the winch. I was hesitant to cut it up, since I spent a lot of time carefully building it in 2010! It'll be worth it though.

That's it for now.
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #100
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're doing awesome work. I can't wait for this thing to be done!
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #101
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I'm getting pretty impatient myself haha. If you happen to be up in the lakes region at all this summer, we should do some wheeling!
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #102
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Looks like a good start so far.

A couple of observations. I think you will find that the Jeep is going to be significantly less stable over the 4.5" lift on your current wheel/tire setup. I experienced something similar on my ZJ- used JK Moabs to try to keep it inspection friendly and I hated the lack of width on the trails. I then switched to 35's with better backspacing and felt twice as stable- the track width was matched much more closely to my lift height at that point. I would also route that filler neck as high as possible. I helped a buddy do a similar tank lift on his XJ and he had nothing but problems with it. Yours will be slightly better because it will be sealed.

Also, I hope you know someone "good" in NH to get your inspection done. I had a lot of trouble getting my ZJ inspected on 4.5"/32"s because the bottom of the bumper sat somewhere around 26" IIRC- which was 6" higher than it was supposed to be on a unibody vehicle.
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #103
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, nice work but my god that's a lot of work.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #104
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Looks like a good start so far.

A couple of observations. I think you will find that the Jeep is going to be significantly less stable over the 4.5" lift on your current wheel/tire setup. I experienced something similar on my ZJ- used JK Moabs to try to keep it inspection friendly and I hated the lack of width on the trails. I then switched to 35's with better backspacing and felt twice as stable- the track width was matched much more closely to my lift height at that point. I would also route that filler neck as high as possible. I helped a buddy do a similar tank lift on his XJ and he had nothing but problems with it. Yours will be slightly better because it will be sealed.

Also, I hope you know someone "good" in NH to get your inspection done. I had a lot of trouble getting my ZJ inspected on 4.5"/32"s because the bottom of the bumper sat somewhere around 26" IIRC- which was 6" higher than it was supposed to be on a unibody vehicle.

Thank you- those are good observations.

I do have another set of wheels with something like 1 or 2" less backspacing, in case I want to use those in the future. The width I have now should be about 1 1/2" wider per side from my previous setup of stock axles, standard 15x8 rockcrawler wheels with 34x10.50s.

I also ordered a YJ filler, so I'll mount it just below the window.

As far as inspection goes, I check with my mechanic and wheeling buddies frequently to see if I'm in line. I know there are both 20" and 30" bumper rules. The shop I take it to figures 30. I think this applies to trucks, whereas the 20 applies more to passenger cars. I got it inspected last summer no problem and the bottom of my bumper was 28-29". A friend of mine is a state trooper, so I ask him questions too. Basically, just keep flares over the tires, and bumpers no higher than 30" to the bottom.
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #105
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
...that's a lot of work.
Yes it is, but I enjoy building my own rig.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.