1 Ton 99 XJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1 Ton 99 XJ

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #76
JM93YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
So...you think you can make it on the trails this Saturday??

Tim
Nevermind this guy. The rigs he wheels come store bought.

Few more weeks and we'll have to get the "crew" together to do some local wheeling. Once I get my t/c worked out I'll be rocking!

JM93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #77
donshaw

thats awesome
donshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #78
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM93YJ View Post
Nevermind this guy. The rigs he wheels come store bought.

Few more weeks and we'll have to get the "crew" together to do some local wheeling. Once I get my t/c worked out I'll be rocking!

Yeah! Hopefully no more than a couple months.
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #79
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So...you think you can make it on the trails this Saturday??

Tim
I thought about selling the truck for another Jeep to satisfy my wheeling appetite in the meantime, but I can't bring myself to do it!
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #80
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tonight I worked on the gas tank mount. I reinforced the rear crossmember by the hatch to accept support straps for the gas tank.

I still haven't permanataly mounted the skid yet, because it's so much easier to finish touch-ups everywhere with a big hole in the floor.

That thin crossmember must have warped, because the hatch wasn't latching very well afterwards. The catch was too low, so I made a shim to raise it. Now it works smooth again, but I can't adjust the catch forward enough to keep the hatch from vibrating a little when latched. Hmm.
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #81
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tonight I started on the gas tank enclosure. Now I need to go buy more sheetmetal.

Unread 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #82
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've been wanting to start on the front of the Jeep for a while, but wanted everything complete in the back first. I still have to finish a few things back there, but the rear axle was done and I couldn't wait anymore, so I decided to install it so I can get going on the front.

Here we go:

The gas tank isn't in yet, so I had to tow the Jeep. I whipped up this wooden tow bar just to move it around the yard. It actually worked pretty well.

It seems higher than I expected; I think I'll want to use less backspacing for wheeling- looks too top heavy.

Like I said, there's still work to do in the back, but it's mostly cosmetic and still accessible.

After all that, I put it away again and started removing the front axle.
If anyone is interested in a HP Dana 30 with good brakes and recent ball joints for local pick-up, let me know!

Unread 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #83
GSSFC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What gears are in the Front axle? I know a guy who is looking.

Nice work Ben, that looks badass. Doesn't look too tall in the pics. All the beautiful work on the rear axle, and you slap on rusty leaf springs? Haha.

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #84
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What gears are in the Front axle? I know a guy who is looking.

Nice work Ben, that looks badass. Doesn't look too tall in the pics. All the beautiful work on the rear axle, and you slap on rusty leaf springs? Haha.

Tim
The dana 30 is 3.55 and is already off the Jeep.

Haha, yeah rusty leaf springs. But hey, at least it's rolling. I still have to build bump stops off the spring plates, so I can paint everything then.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #85
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great work! Looks good. How about just slapping some smaller shackles on it?
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #86
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had RE shackles on to begin with, but with the longer springs, there's very little room before they would contact the back of the shackle box. I don't have that problem with these boomerangs, which I used to avoid a shackle relocation. I think the long term solution would be the relocation.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #87
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Then again, the front as pictured is 5" lower than the rear (measuring to the bottom of the rocker). The coil brackets add about 1 1/2" or 2", and the tire will add 3". So, it will probably be level with these shackles. I guess I'll wait and see after it's done.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #88
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Doesn't look too tall in the pics.
Tim
This looks a little top heavy to me.

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #89
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Today I started working on the front axle truss to carry a link mount above the diff. I've decided to go 3 link. I'm still using the coil springs which is kinda tricky since my Dana 60 is a mid 80s vintage, and there's very little tube to work with on the drivers side. Anyway, I think I can make it work and still have the coil springs mounted close to stock width (within about 3/4").

First, I bent up the top out of some 3/8". I'm really glad I made that press brake a while back; it's so quick and easy to use and turns out great bends! I just had to check to make sure everything was square and fit level on the axle.

After that was all set, I used a 3" hole saw to make it fit on the tube.

The truss sits right against the side of the housing, so I had to grind off this piece of the casting next to the existing leaf spring perch.

Then I set it up on the axle and started tacking on some reinforcement (all 1/4") and checked to make sure everything would fit. You can see there's a piece that extends down on the right side of the coil seat. That's gonna be used to help support the right side of the link mount.

Then I welded it all, inside and out.

After that, I test fit it again.

I still need to finalize the drivers side link mount, and also make a flange for the top to bolt onto the diff cover flange, but I think it's a good start.
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #90
GSSFC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You suck. That thing is killer man!

Love the..."Oh I just bent up a little 3/8"...

Can't wait to wheel with this thing!

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.