1 Ton 99 XJ - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1 Ton 99 XJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #181
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I've skimmed through your build and it looks like a nice build. But I must say, the angle on your rear shocks are terrible. You can't be getting much use out of them being mounted like that. Ever thought of running them through the floor to a set of hoops?
Yeah, I knew the angles were bad at the time I built it, knowing that I would probably change it at some point. It was simpler to build and I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least see how bad it was. I thought about going through the floor, but didn't want big holes in the floor. I have some other ideas. This works for now though.

Unread 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #182
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well these leaf springs are done...

For whatever reason, I decided to forget about the overload spring, which would have helped with axle wrap and hard hits. These S 10 springs are the light duty variety, with 3 leaves/1 overload. The Jeep now sits probably 1 1/2" lower than before, so the light duties are not up to the task. I guess I got my $80 worth of fun from a used set of leaf springs. I ordered brand new heavy duty packs (4 leaves/1 overload) and will keep the overload this time.

The tops of the rear wheel wells got rounded/bulged out from the last excursion...

Among other things, I'd like to build new wheel wells this winter, so I'm not real concerned. Rear bump stops are en route.

Installed front bump stops today.

I just jacked up the front end and removed the springs...

Then set the stops in place with the weight of the Jeep...

I have maybe 1 1/2" of steering linkage clearance. I can adjust the suspension links and move the axle back about an inch, which would allow the steering linkage to not bind, giving me a couple more inches of up travel with the removal of 2 hockey pucks.

In other news, I found a new use for my rear seat: shop seat!

I'm hitting the trails next weekend; hopefully parts get here soon so I can button it back up for another run.
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #183
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New leaf springs came in today. The ride is much stiffer which is nice, but the rear doesn't flex nearly as much. I may end up removing the overload. The Jeep sits level again.

I also scored a used winch remote on eBay, and will use the switch from my broken one to make an in-cab control.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #184
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got to go wheeling in Maine last weekend. The trails were pretty uneventful, but it was still fun. From what I understand, there are miles upon miles of old logging roads to explore, so maybe I'll head up there again sometime. I need to find out what's causing the death wobble. Some of the things on the top of my list to check...

-The tires aren't balanced, so maybe try a set of standard road tires
-Check for play in the steering box mount
-Check for play in the track bar mount
-Experiment with caster
-Put the camber plates back on

It rained a lot on the way up...

Nice weather the rest of the weekend though! Sorry, this was the only photo, as I went solo most of the time.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #185
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a chance to hit up the local trails with a friend and his TJ this past weekend; nothing difficult, but still fun to get out.

GSSFC, you were right when you told me that I would now have to find new places to wheel! These trails aren't challenging anymore. You should show me where you and Justin have gone.

video:

A few technical notes...

- The motor has stalled a couple times on 2 different outings. I think we have it narrowed down to a bad coil.
- After driving it some, I believe I can do better with the rear shock setup. I'll likely change it at some point, but not before winter.
- I think the new pitman arm is shorter; I don't have much for a turning radius. I'm keeping an eye out for a longer one with the same drop.
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #186
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build! I'm about to do the same but with a Dana 70 rear, coilovers in the front, and JJs instead of rod ends.

Where did you get the brake lines from? Also did you upgrade your brake MC or your steering box?
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #187
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I got brake lines from speedwaymotors.com. No, I haven't updated the MC or steering box. The brakes are a little soft, but stop fine. The steering's not too bad either.
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #188
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Brother ... Just read your whole thread ... Your xj is epic .... Seriously love it.
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #189
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I saw you got those rims local ... Do you know what they are and the back spacing ... I think I'm about to get a 60/sterling combo but I really want to keep them as tucked as possible, these rims are perfect.

I also saw you had a little contact with steering and used a spacer. Would you recommend a bigger wheel or less back spacing? Any help would be awesome.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #190
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Brother ... Just read your whole thread ... Your xj is epic .... Seriously love it.
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I saw you got those rims local ... Do you know what they are and the back spacing ... I think I'm about to get a 60/sterling combo but I really want to keep them as tucked as possible, these rims are perfect.

I also saw you had a little contact with steering and used a spacer. Would you recommend a bigger wheel or less back spacing? Any help would be awesome.
The backspacing is about 6". I think less backspacing would do the trick. H2 wheels are a popular option, and are also 17", instead of 16".
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #191
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have to say I really like your set up. Not a huge fan of the h2 wheels ... But thanks for the info :-). Really love the build again .. Just really awesome, but very well built...
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #192
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Still a work in progress
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #193
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHJeep4x4 View Post
Still a work in progress
Yea .. Lol .. That never changes
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #194
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHJeep4x4 View Post
Yeah, I knew the angles were bad at the time I built it, knowing that I would probably change it at some point. It was simpler to build and I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least see how bad it was. I thought about going through the floor, but didn't want big holes in the floor. I have some other ideas. This works for now though.
This is what I am addressing right now. I had mine at about that same angle with the JKS cross-over mount. Now I'm selling that and picked up Trail Gear shock hoops from Foothills Motorsports. They should be here next week.

Great build overall....looks sick.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #195
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

dude I must ask do you use or have access to a burn table???.....I must say your fab skills are very nice...im definitely gonna have to invest in a shop press here real soon...as far as the old stuff not being fun to wheel anymore I feel you on that one....my jeep makes the deep and nasty look like shallow bird bathes so now my kids don't like to go anymore....they say its not any fun, cus we don't get stuck much...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.