1 Ton 99 XJ - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1 Ton 99 XJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #166
Jersey59
1998 ZJ 

Looks badass man

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Lifted 4" ~ 33" Firestone MTs, 3" Skyjacker Springs, 1/1.5" BB, Bilstein 5100's, RC SB Quick Discos, Rusty's TB, RC Fixed Front LCAs, Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Uppers, Skyjacker rear LCAs, Safari Style Snorkel, ARB Bumper with custom stinger, Smittybilt XRC 10k Winch, EBC Greenstuff
Jersey59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #167
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately, but got a few things done. At least the axles are in for the last time! I cleaned and painted the rear suspension and frame work, etc. I started putting drive shafts together. I didn't want to mess around with changing driveshaft lengths, so I found a couple that fit just right. The front is out of a 1996 Dodge Ram, and the rear is a ZJ front shaft. I need to put in the gas tank and extend the lines, then I'll finally be able to get it running again.

I rolled it outside just for kicks, and I'm really liking the height and width. I'm not a fan of the departure with those shackles, but we'll see what happens. Don't mind the ratchet strap crossmember and wood block; it's temporary.

Sweet gas tank clearance...

Approach angle looks good...
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #168
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Looks good. I really like that stance. Not wide as hell, but just wide enough. I guess having a not-so-wide tire and shallow wheels helps with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHJeep4x4 View Post
And is it just me or does the front tires look like they're doing this... \ /

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #169
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post

And is it just me or does the front tires look like they're doing this... \ /
Yeah, they're doing that. When I put the front end back together, there were some thin disks left over, which mounted behind the spindles. I wasn't sure what they were, so I just left them off. Turns out, they are slightly tapered and adjust the camber angle. They'll go back on later.
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #170
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work man, I wouldnt worry about those shackles hanging low, something will hit eventually and shackles can take the abuse. Any idea on the back spacing on those wheels? I am eventually swapping in tons and dont want it to be overly wide either.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #171
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Nice work man, I wouldnt worry about those shackles hanging low, something will hit eventually and shackles can take the abuse. Any idea on the back spacing on those wheels? I am eventually swapping in tons and dont want it to be overly wide either.
The backspacing is around 6". With 1/2" wheel spacers in front, the wheels just clear the tie rod ends.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #172
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Aircruiser, a popular option are the H2 rims that are 8-bolt pattern, 17" dia., about 9" wide, and have 5-5/8" backspacing. They're awesome and look pretty darn good. I've got a bunch of pics of them mounted on my Jeep in my build thread if you want.

Looks awesome! I'm tempted to buy some camber plates, I have a little bit of funny camber as well, without any plates. I've heard that's fairly common.

When you get it driving on the roads, you'll have to tell me how your 3-link acts on the road. I'm inboarding my lower links some, they were parallel like yours but I felt that they gave me oversteer in the front which made it a little twitchy.

Keep it up!
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #173
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the exhaust and crossmember back in, plumbed the rear brakes, ran fuel lines and extended the pump wiring, and topped off the diffs and t-case. I can drive it!

Here's my temporary tank setup until I make the cover and steel straps...

The rear actually flexes more than the front; the leaves seem to be pretty soft. I still don't have rear shocks yet either.

Much more than this, and I can pick up the back corner. I may put wheel spacers in the rear to widen the stance a bit...

Still have a lot to do, but it's great to be able to drive it!

Unread 05-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #174
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A few things...

-I replaced the battery so I don't have to jump start it every time.

-I realized that I forgot to disconnect the front sway bar, which is why it wasn't articulating very well. Felt kinda dumb.

-One of the old rusty brake lines under the hood ruptured, so no more brakes. This made driving around the yard interesting, especially since if I forget and use the brakes, I get white brake fluid smoke under the hood from it spraying on the motor.

-There are also some interesting things going on with the lights. One of the headlights only works on hi beam. The blinkers don't work, except for the emergency flashers- but then only one side in the front works- no rears. The 3rd brake light stays on whenever the ignition is on.

-While diagnosing a fuel delivery issue, I managed to crack the port on the fuel rail, so no wheeling for me this weekend after all. A replacement fuel rail is on order.

-Something is leaking on the driver side. It appears reddish, so I thought maybe trans fluid, but I see the engine coolant level has dropped some. Needs more investigating.
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #175
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well since last time, I've replaced the fuel rail and front brake lines under the hood. The motor runs pretty decent and the brakes are good. They feel pretty soft, even after bleeding, but they stop fine, so I guess I'll forget about it. I installed Brown Dog motor mounts. So now I have their brackets and mounts. In 4 low and drive, holding the brake, the Jeep will raise up an inch or so, and then go back down once you release the brake or go back into park. There is a noticeable, direct power transfer with the poly mounts.

I disconnected the sway bar and things work much better.

I finally got rear shocks. I had been driving up and down my road without them, and it's much better now.

Found a spot for the spare tire...
I wanted it inside, but it wouldn't fit behind the back seat without blocking the view. I doubt I'll use the back seat much, but I still have it if I change my mind.

Most of what's left to do is only stuff to make it street legal. I think I'll hold off on that, since I just want to go wheeling. So, I ended up getting a trailer for it. I do want to be able to drive it around town eventually, and drive to a few local spots, but even then I'd like to be able to haul it long distance. Besides, I can think of a lot of other handy uses for a trailer. I got it 20' and 10,000 lb gross, so I can haul a full size truck, or whatever.

The only last hurdle is to remedy an upper link/driveshaft contact problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have the shaft when I built the front suspension, and there is contact when the driver side is compressed. There is some adjustment in the frame mount, and I think I'll have enough to work with there. Other than that, I just need to bed line the floor and rear wheel wells, do some minor exhaust work, reinstall the interior panels, install a hitch for recovery and I'm good to go!
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #176
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This rig is freakin amazing and your welds are very pretty. Good job, hope to see trail pics soon.
propjockey2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #177
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got to try it out for the first time today! I hit up some local spots with friends and found out what needs tweaking. I need bump stops really bad. I forgot how I like to go fast, so now my wheel wells are a different shape. I have some steering linkage contact, so I need to move the front axle back a bit. I learned not to continue wheeling with the winch control routed to the window, because a branch could rip it off and then I'd need to replace it. It stalled on me three times before I noticed the bad ground on the ignition coil. I need to re-route the fuel lines because the tank pinches them a little, slowing the flow. I have death wobble at just under 30 mph... but not at 40

All in all, I'm learning how it behaves with the new setup, and it's a blast to drive. I always ran open diffs before and I'm loving the spools. No problems running the rear spool, even on pavement. It's only really noticeable when you turn really tight on pavement. Even then, it's not bad at all. I locked the hubs once I was on the trail and having a spooled front is awesome. No weird turning in the dirt.

Nothing too hardcore, but a lot of fun...

Unread 07-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #178
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Woo!
Looks awesome.

Yeah my first time actually doing harder stuff I realized how badly I needed bumpstops, too... especially since I was bottoming out the coilover (soft coils). Dropping off stuff and hearing a bang was heartbreaking.

I'm jelly of your sway bar.. my stocker won't work with high steer.

Now, I've gotta ask you to clarify.. spooled front and you noticed nothing detrimental enough to unlock the hubs? Did you do any sharp turning on the trail? I'm trying to save $300 and just weld the front end for now, but I haven't wanted to have a grueling time on the trail stuck "spooled", or especially ripping through the logging roads to the trail with the hubs locked.
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #179
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
Now, I've gotta ask you to clarify.. spooled front and you noticed nothing detrimental enough to unlock the hubs? Did you do any sharp turning on the trail? I'm trying to save $300 and just weld the front end for now, but I haven't wanted to have a grueling time on the trail stuck "spooled", or especially ripping through the logging roads to the trail with the hubs locked.
I basically left the front hubs locked the whole time I was on the trail. Most of the trail was loose, and the steering seemed pretty normal. I did do a lot of tight turns, and it was fine in the dirt/loose spots. I did have to turn tight a few times on exposed ledge, so like pavement. It was a little jerky, but not as bad as I expected. I see no problem leaving them locked. Especially if you're just going to weld it; if you don't like it, you didn't lose anything trying it out.
I think a selectable would be nice up front; but after trying spools, I find they're not as bad as I thought they would be. Granted, I would unlock the hubs if I was driving down the road, but spools are great for me since my rig will see very little road use. Besides, it's nice to not worry about breakage or if the locker is engaged.
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #180
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHJeep4x4 View Post
Well since last time, I've replaced the fuel rail and front brake lines under the hood. The motor runs pretty decent and the brakes are good. They feel pretty soft, even after bleeding, but they stop fine, so I guess I'll forget about it. I installed Brown Dog motor mounts. So now I have their brackets and mounts. In 4 low and drive, holding the brake, the Jeep will raise up an inch or so, and then go back down once you release the brake or go back into park. There is a noticeable, direct power transfer with the poly mounts.

I disconnected the sway bar and things work much better.

I finally got rear shocks. I had been driving up and down my road without them, and it's much better now.

Found a spot for the spare tire...
I wanted it inside, but it wouldn't fit behind the back seat without blocking the view. I doubt I'll use the back seat much, but I still have it if I change my mind.

Most of what's left to do is only stuff to make it street legal. I think I'll hold off on that, since I just want to go wheeling. So, I ended up getting a trailer for it. I do want to be able to drive it around town eventually, and drive to a few local spots, but even then I'd like to be able to haul it long distance. Besides, I can think of a lot of other handy uses for a trailer. I got it 20' and 10,000 lb gross, so I can haul a full size truck, or whatever.

The only last hurdle is to remedy an upper link/driveshaft contact problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have the shaft when I built the front suspension, and there is contact when the driver side is compressed. There is some adjustment in the frame mount, and I think I'll have enough to work with there. Other than that, I just need to bed line the floor and rear wheel wells, do some minor exhaust work, reinstall the interior panels, install a hitch for recovery and I'm good to go!
I've skimmed through your build and it looks like a nice build. But I must say, the angle on your rear shocks are terrible. You can't be getting much use out of them being mounted like that. Ever thought of running them through the floor to a set of hoops?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.