04 TJ build up from stock to...... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 04 TJ build up from stock to......

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #61
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Beginning of day 3 photo. Sadly, it looks pretty similar to the end of day 4 (I hate that there even is a day 4). I got the rear shocks, springs, and control arms off and relocated the track bar. Then spent the rest of the day working off the broken upper shock mount bolts that broke off. HUGE PITA! Anyone about to do their first lift, make that an area where you wanna soak soak soak it in PB Blaster and be careful working it out. All 4 of them broke on me and it took about 6 hours, lots of drill bits, and grind wheels to get through them.

2012-05-05-11.15.28.jpg  
()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally done.
2012-05-12-17.26.32.jpg   2012-05-12-17.26.16.jpg  
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #63
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need help getting rid of vibrations

I have some slight vibrations since installing my lift. I assume it's related to my driveshaft being at an incorrect angle but I'm a little lost to be honest. Here's some pics I took and some info I found on WranglerForum.

"Your rear driveshaft slope should be at no more than a 15 deg. and the engine/tranny slope should be equal to the rear pinion.

Also, the angles between the driveshaft and tranny/rear pinion should be no more than 3 deg., according to Tom Wood, the known leader for driveshafts.

Here is a picture of the proper geometry for a conventional two joint driveshaft.

I have the Zone Combo, installed the MML and the 3/4" TC drop with a few washers. My driveshaft slope is 15 deg now. The only way to make it less than that would be to drop the TC even more. I can run it like this with minor vibes, but it will cause my u-joints to wear out earlier than normal."

I could use some opinions on these pictures I took. How does it look other than some pretty mean rust?
2012-05-16-11.28.07.jpg   2012-05-16-11.28.28.jpg   2012-05-16-11.28.33.jpg  
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #64
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hard to tell from the pics, but it does look okay compared to the drawing. I would try the MML first, and see what that does for you. They will lift the tranny 1" possible helping the drive line.
2003X is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #65
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

1" Brown Dog MML and 1.25" Savvy BL is in the mail.

MML

http://browndogindustries.com/CU2883...ts-Rubber.aspx

$99.95

BL

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=-1

$134
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #66
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice choice on the rubber mml.
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #67
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They had a nice list of pros and cons on the Brown Dog website. In our neighborhood, I think rubber wins. And also I hate f*cking vibrations. I'll bounce around on brand new stiff springs all day and that's fun, but no vibes.
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #68
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ
They had a nice list of pros and cons on the Brown Dog website. In our neighborhood, I think rubber wins. And also I hate f*cking vibrations. I'll bounce around on brand new stiff springs all day and that's fun, but no vibes.
Rubber is the way to go.
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #69
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep on a trip to Lake Winnipesawkee this weekend then down to the Cape. Ran great other than a little bit of death wobble at 45 mph. The trip ended in my getting towed back from Harwich MA when an idler pulley got depressed and blew it's brains out all over the underside of my hood yesterday. Took a trip to autozone, got a replacement, and threw it in in less than ten minutes. Back on the road.

Next step will be MML and BL which are on backorder from Brown Dog and Savvy respectively.

Then it'll be time to get some 33's, seat risers, a Poison Spyder hood louver, a Brute Force CAI, and change my back window to the tinted window i have waiting (can't get the back window off right now, zipper is stuck).
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #70
billy_butler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you can look up death wobble videos on youtube and they will help you find exactly where your problem is comming from, i replaced my steering linkage with a heavy duty one... my steering has been great with 35's and a 4 inch lift ever since. your best bet with the vibrations is going to be to remove your front drive shaft and drive it, if you still have vibrations then you have isolated it to the rear and you will need to go ahead and get a SYE and new rear drive shaft. i recomend doing this anyway. if there are no vibrations when you take the front drive shaft off, then you have to start looking into getting a new front driveshaft.
billy_butler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #71
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've still got a steering stabilizer to install. Would be awesome if that took care of it but I do'nt have my hopes up.
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #72
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just got an oil change. The guy talked me into wheel balancing too which I'm wicked happy about because he showed me the machine and they were waay off. And now.....NO MORE DEAATH WOBBLE!!!

Still some vibes in 3rd so I'll work that out next.

Also, traded my stock suspension parts (front and rear shocks, springs, and sway bar links, and front track bar) for brand new shiny parts that some guy was stuck with. I was literally about 3 hours from bringing them to a dumpster when this guy emailed me and I'm now the proud owner of a black fuel door cover, chrome tail lights, and chrome tail light guards. Not a big fan of chrome but I know someone will be and I just like parts.

I'll be doing a little more business with this guy when my steering stabilizer comes off this weekend. See what else he's got.
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #73
Ak-max
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ View Post
Beginning of day 3 photo. Sadly, it looks pretty similar to the end of day 4 (I hate that there even is a day 4). I got the rear shocks, springs, and control arms off and relocated the track bar. Then spent the rest of the day working off the broken upper shock mount bolts that broke off. HUGE PITA! Anyone about to do their first lift, make that an area where you wanna soak soak soak it in PB Blaster and be careful working it out. All 4 of them broke on me and it took about 6 hours, lots of drill bits, and grind wheels to get through them.

My upper shock mounts broke off on my TJ when i lifted it too! you arent kidding by saying its a PITA. I had to cut some nice 4" holes in the tub on both sides just to get a cut off wheel in there to cut the mounts off. took a good day just to do that. Then patched it up with some new sheet metal. Gotta love salty michigan roads
Ak-max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #74
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-max View Post
My upper shock mounts broke off on my TJ when i lifted it too! you arent kidding by saying its a PITA. I had to cut some nice 4" holes in the tub on both sides just to get a cut off wheel in there to cut the mounts off. took a good day just to do that. Then patched it up with some new sheet metal. Gotta love salty michigan roads
Dremel tools are lifesavers.
()_)()_)-o-)_)
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #75
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Motor mounts came in the mail. Along with a wicked high tech alarm system for my jeep that makes noise and shoots fire and bees at anyone trying to break in (not really, it's just a blinking red light wired into my ignition Dont tell anybody.)

Sold a spare soft top today to pay for some Rampage Nerf Bars I'm gonna buy tonight.

Also gonna buy a tow receiver on Sunday. I wanna get a rack to plug in for road trips.

Still waiting on the Savvy BL.

Also traded my old suspension parts for new tail lights and guards which I gave to YJ1994 and kept a fuel door cover, also from the trade, for myself.
()_)()_)-o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.