Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

03 WJ Limited Build----She needs a name!

129K views 655 replies 64 participants last post by  Eshindi 
#1 ·
Well it was suggested that i start a build thread, as i've had my new jeep for 2 weeks and now and am on my second project. this is more of a "build-up" thread, as this jeep was sold/handed down to me by another local jeeper. i will be improving upon and building up the wj for my move to NC in dec. this is not my first jeep...i bought a 99 wj laredo 2wd in 2004 and sold it last week to buy this one. so far ive rubberized my spare well for storage...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/spare-tire-well-project-1111561/ and i will be installing an overhead LED in my tailgate next weekend.

a little on the wj....2003 limited 4.7 HO. clayton 4.5" long arm, addco rear sway, jks adj trackbar, jcr sliderz, and custom cat/exhaust. future improvments include diff covers, belly skid, and i'm going to a fab shop tomorrow to get quotes on my bumper. havent come up with a name yet, open to suggestions and the most popular will be chosen! well, here she is...

any and all discussion is welcome, as everyone's opinion counts! :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
alright...someone piqued my curiousity about this a couple weeks ago when i started my spare tire well project. got everything except the light today at the local hardware store. 25 ft each of white and black 16g wire. 1 rocker switch, some connectors, terminals, some nifty strippers/crimpers, and a small tungsten file to make the hole for the switch in the jeep. spent some time and zip-tied the wires and put terminals on them to speed up the process later. still shopping for a light. looks like this will be next weekend's project. more pics/updates as i have them.

#7 ·
getting light rubbing when i cut the wheel all the way to either side. abouot to move up to 33's and worrited about more rubbing. i plan on cutting out the fenders, but before i do that, will backspacers solve the rubbing problem, or is cutting the fenders the only cure?

#9 ·
yeah, but i want to keep my factory rims that are on there now. can i get those backspaced or do i have to buy spacers? or is it going to be cheaper to just sell the rogues and get some cheap steelies with backspacing?

#10 ·
#257 ·
Ack!...what are you doing, planning on clogging your arteries with that thing? Looks dangerous.

#12 ·
had a good day off. leavin for nc in a few hours. brakes have been squealin for a few days, so a coworker and i took them apart this mornin and checked it out. found a bent brake boot that was rubbing, loosened the e-brake a little as it was super tight, and bent the caliper spring a little before re-inserting it bc it was rubbing the rotor a little, creating a groove. also lubed up the long-arm joints as they seemed a little dry. started pulling panels for my tailgate light this morning and running the wires, but they didnt send me the connector harness with my light so i have to wait for it to get here while im gone.

#13 ·
the wj started to overheat when parked it to go out of town. looks like im flushing the rad and checking the thermo when i get back. on another note...got a pair of pro comp 9900's this weekend. won them on ebay for $102.50 and $120 respectively. not a bad deal for the pair i think. those'll go on the shelf until i get a safari rack for them. updates with picswhen i get back for the flushing, light install, and pro front brake rotor replacements that will be taking place in the next 2 weeks so she's runnin fine for birthday camping in late nov.

#14 ·
picked up a yakima loadwarrior on craigslist today, and got my new 3' firestik mounted. plan on fabbing/welding on some custom light mounts to keep the lights low on the rack

got one of the lights today. dude emailed me before i got it and told me it was a 9911, not a 9900. (he was selling for neighbor or something) so i have to send it back tomorrow. so now i'm back to 1 light. anyone know of a used pro comp 9900 let me know.

#15 ·
updated list of upgrades....

Clayton LA's, IRO 4.5'' coils, JKS HD Adj Track Bar, Addco Rear, JCR HD Sliderz, IRO Coil Retainers, Rear Sway Links, Superlift Twin Tubes, JKS BPEs, KOR Rear Mounts, 31" Kumho AT's, 17'' Chrome Rogues, 3/4" Receiver Shackle, Cobra 75, 3' Firestik II, Custom Cat/Exhaust w/ Turndown, TCM Switch, Alpine Headunit, Clarion Components, Infinity Reference 3.5" Tweets, Ultrastart Remote Start/Alarm, Yakima LoadWarrior, Pro Comp 9900's

#16 ·
switched out the thermostat today...solved the overheating problem. thanks to those who helped. went out and picked up new hood and liftgate glass arms today...sale on strong arms at discount auto, as well as a dremel. finally going to try and put the tailgate LED in tomorrow along with the new arms so my hood and trunk glass stay up on there own!

#17 ·
got the light into the tailgate, all the wiring run, but when i connected power, the switch lights up showing power, but the light does not, any ideas? i went back and switched the power to the other wire on the light, and still nothing. anyone have any ideas/advice? if i directly grounded the light, do you think that would solve the problem? here's a pic showing the switch getting power, and a diagram of my wiring...

#21 ·
i never said the light didn't need to be grounded. lol

from the light- power - ground

then power to middle tab on switch

one side of switch to the source (known power)

other side to ground

#22 ·
it wasnt you, it was someone else. but dont worry, im slowly learning who's advice to trust and who's to double check on. everything looks clean, and once i open it up and reconnect it all tomorrow, hopefully i'll get a finished pic up

#24 ·
alright. short day on the roof. a 12-building complex inspection and waited in line dtown for a permit. contacted the shop that i got the light from...confirmed that out of the 3 wires of the 3-pin connector, red is dummy, black is power, and white is ground. since i already had power to black, i ground the light with a self-tapping screw to my tailgate. (is this ok, or do i need to ground to main body?) AND....nothing. switch comes on, light does not.

on another note, white smoke is coming out of my tailpipe when i first start the jeep up, and until it is warmed up. is this a sign of too rich of an antifreeze mixture when i refilled the system? or is it a blown head gasket? the smoke stops once the jeep warms up, and i opened the bleed valve and rad cap, and just poured straight water in to dilute it more, it seemed to lessen the smoke. any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.