03' TJ Build - On A College Kid Budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 03' TJ Build - On A College Kid Budget

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
XxPAINTxBALLxX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

03' TJ Build - On A College Kid Budget

So in 2010, I became the proud owner of 2003 TJ Sport in patriot blue, which to me is one of the sexiest colors to roll out of the factory. Straight 6, 5 speed, and from the factory with the optional D44 rear axle,which was a nice added bonus . I'm going back through five years of pictures to find build pics, so please bare with me as I dig up all of these photos.

This was her as when I picked her up from the dealership, brings back memories to when I was 15 driving her for the first time. I was hooked. Of course I had to take to the trails the next day!

The first thing that I did was replace the stereo head unit and speakers. Pioneer head with Alpine speakers replacing the factory paper ones (unfortunately no photo). Next, I wanted some better lighting at night so I added a set of KC Slimlites, and let me tell you these things could function as an emergency sun! The stock tires were also shot, got home to realize there was a nice gouge in the inside of the rear driver side tire (sorry guys, no pic of it). So I decided on a set of 31 BFG All Terrains to replace them.

Next I came to deciding on my first lift. Since I had just bought a brend new set of 31s and was building on a budget, I decided on the 2.5" RC lift with new coils and shocks. I know RC gets bashed a lot, but price was my biggest issue so I took the chance. 5 years and I'm proud to say no major problems yet!

Picture is a little dark but only one I could find of a clear shot. Had to release my inner pirate of course!

The Jeeps first trailer!

I also added a Cobra CB with a tail light antenna mount and the Banks Monster cat back, it gave her a nice mean rumble! This is how she sat for a few years, I was content but eventually the bug bit me again. I had to go bigger. I wanted to be able to clear 33s. I ordered a 2" coil spacer set, new sway links and trac bars. PSA: RCs front track bar is a POS.

But in any case, seeing a pile of Jeep parts still rocks.

This is how Patty sat for a while until I could afford the 33s. Yes, Patty, the Patriot Blue Jeep! Took me years to name her Also a bought a set of Mickey Thompson Sidebiters, patty wanted some new shoes. I have to say they're pretty slick looking. Another plus is the black gloss doesn't scratch easy

Graduation highschool in the top ten of my class didn't hurt either, relatives were willing to pitch in a little for tires, which helped me a ton! I decided on the Firestone M/T. It was an aggressive looking tire but had great reviews everywhere I went and I have to admit they look pretty sexy under Patty.

About a week after fitting the new tires I had a wheel cylinder fail going 45 down a hilly road, let's just say my pants were a new shade of brown loosing braking abilities, thank God for the e-brake! So Patty got new pads, rotors, shoes and drums all the way around. Couldnt find a picture of this though, sorry guys.

So next I wanted some more clearance for these 33s so I saved up for a set of the Xenon 4" flat fenders and to complete the side of the Jeep, my girlfriends dad fabed me up some 1/8" rock sliders for Patty for free! They look sick!

For the most part this is how she sits as of now. She's been my baby for five years, she's almost payed off! Only a few more months! I'm seeing some new bumpers in her future for sure! Thank you for reading guys! I felt now was a good point to share!

XxPAINTxBALLxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

Roll Tide!!!
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
BloodThirsty
Hoosier

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Love the Patriot Blue! You sure you need the TC drop?
Unread 01-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
XxPAINTxBALLxX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
Love the Patriot Blue! You sure you need the TC drop?
I was getting some real bad driveshaft vibrations without it. Now all is good. I'd like to eventually go the SYE route though to regain some belly clearance
XxPAINTxBALLxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.