Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

02' WJ RE-Build

13K views 215 replies 13 participants last post by  robd2003 
#1 ·
Okay, on with another build or rebuild for the matter of another jeep. This one is a 2002 WJ Laredo <-Correct me if i spelled it wrong lol, anyways, I6 with 145,029 miles , 242, I believe a D35 in the rear, it has a CV joint at the t-case and a u-joint on the axle side. Tinted windows all around, aftermarket tail lights that are tinted, and is Dark Metallic Grey in color... Picked it up for $2,675(Sales tax included) from my part time job[Midwest Auto], A jeep salvage yard. Well the jeep had sat in the yard for a few months now and i decided I really wanted to get back into a WJ just for the simple fact we have our 1 month old riding in the back and the XJ seems to be a little crowded.

11-1-2011 Is the day I took possesion of this Jeep, and my birthday is 11-21, so maybe in 20 days ill be done with it and it will be a gift not only to me but to my wife. I know all this talk and not much about why it was only $2,6075. Just so happen this Jeep is wrecked, but it was hit above the frame rail in the center of the hood, and wiped out, well you know what is under the hood and above the crossmember, so all this is being replaced.

Pics of 11-1-11
Only two, but it gives you the idea of what I'm working with.

11-2-2011
Got off from work 3pm to 1am the day before and worked in the garage from 1 to about 2:45AM on the jeep getting things apart.

See less See more
#192 ·
Well, re-reading the problems with the 0331 heads, might end up replacing it, and possibly getting another car.

Questions on where to possibly buy the head? Obviously one that is ready to drop in bolt up add oil and go.
Advance Auto
Autzone
O'Reillys
Somewhere else?

Any insight on this would be nice.

#194 ·
That is a good find!

Any more decisions on what you are going to do with the current Jeep?

#197 ·
*Does not sound to excited* :D

#198 ·
Well as i feel about it... i imagine the bearings are shot, so the motor probably needs fully rebuilt by the time you figure in cost and materials... might as well just got a new motor, even though they come with the 0331 head which is pronoun to crack..

my only question is, is when and why does it crack? what way can you fix it?

cause i hear some chattering going on when the jeeps running, maybe run some thicker oil? idk... just trying to figure out whats going to best to do on this... and it all work wonderfully...

once we get her 97 camry rebuilt she wont have to drive the jeep at all so it will be at a stand still.. and she also wants it to only be drivin on long trips so basically itll sit in the garage and collect dust after it gets fixed permanently. So basically her idea of 4" lift and 35's has went back down to a mild 2" budget boost and 31's... either way i want it to be able to handle offroad activity. so sliders a limited slip locker and axle swap for some 3.7's will be perfect.

#199 ·
I really hate that you have been having so many problems with your dub. But you work for a salvage place so I would assume you can get some pretty good prices? How many miles it have on it?
You can always try some Lucas oil additive for the chattering I've used it on a few vehicles and worked great. I do run about 8oz marvel mystery oil in mine to keep things clean.
I'm with your wife, keep the wj, even if its for offroad adventures and if that's the case you can go crazy with it when you find time and funds.

#200 ·
To my knowledge the 99-01 straight 6 blocks had more piston skirt failures then the 02 to 04's on the WJ. I am not sure if that is what you were talking about or not. Your knowledge of engines is much greater then mine.

Im real sorry that the Jeep is giving you some real issues. =/ it really can be a downer to see something you put so much effort into not work or continue to break down. But there are aways options.

You could fix her camry first, set the jeep aside for now, and maybe put some cash aside in a jar (I know sounds kinda childish, but I do this when I want something) and save up for something in the Jeep, new engine, maybe new stroker engine, anything. It really seems like this block is giving you more hassle then it is worth...

#201 ·
More or less its just the head, the 0331Left side casting head which is used on the dubs primarilly i do believe, is crack proned, just not sure or why it even happens? With increasing gas prices now she is urging me to get the camry done, which is fine. I think getting a titan motor being a stroked motor whether it be 4.6 stroke or the 4.9 stroke using all their components might be the best way to go.

I indeed plan on keeping it, its not worth much to sell with the time i have invested in it. Just like my 79 k10.
In the end, everything on the jeep will probably end up being new.

The job at the salvage yard ended a few months ago when he called me a ****ing idiot, which i did not take a liking to for the reason he called me it. So I dropped that job, quit my primary job and started a new career in another factory working for Toyota. I'm in Quality now and the hardest part about my job or should say most intensive part of my job is sorting bad parts when a bad part is found.

Update today, its been a week since we have put in some of that head sealer, and looks like it might be holding up? So if it is, that will buy some time till I get fully hired on in my job and start putting money back. As I think with our taxes we might split it up between us and our daughter. Not sure yet cause we havent filed yet haha.

#202 ·
So far the head sealer in the can seems to be doing its job and staying sealed. Ive been DDing it to work getting 21mpg on highway to work. 7.5mile trip from house to job, much better than my K10.

Finally getting cought up in some bills, so hopefully soon I'll be able to start doing few things to the jeep and the k10.

#203 ·
Hopefully that will fix the problem with the head gasket sealer. Flip those numbers and that's what I am getting for my MPG. ahahaha.

#205 ·
Its to be expected because 90% of my driving is stop and floor up and down hills around campus with average speeds around 30 to 40. By the time I get up to speed and let off the accel I have to hit the brakes for lights, traffic, pedestrians, and then idle. Then, repeat. :p

#206 ·
Ahh i see, well i think the k10 gets about 5mpgs.... oh well, its a sunday driver at best. maybe eventually a weekend toy, but who knows been doing lots of thinking. and might sell the truck to pay some of the loan off on the jeep then maybe buy a small lift and tires and a winch plate for the wj

#207 ·
Well fellers, the wj is down again. It still runs and moves, but it broke down on the wife on her 2 hour trip home tonight. Gave me a call and I left work, my truck now has wiring for a trailer, and has successfully pulled the trailer and dub back 1.5hrs without a doubt. I was very pleased.

Only had one kink on the way to her location, blew a fuse for the dash lights and running lights on the truck, so made it to the next town with an open gas station got new fuses and got everything loaded up. Managed roughly 11mpg's towing tonight, going to weigh the total package in the morning and try to diagnose what happened before i take my dad's friends trailer to him.

#208 ·
Man that sucks, your luck sounds about like mine. At least you have a tow vehicle.

#211 ·
Dang, gas mileage must have been awesome. Any idea what is wrong with it?

#212 ·
11.5-12 mpg lmao

well i think what happened is the tps went south on her last night, we've had isssues with the MIL coming on and getting a code for it. Got all codes erased minus my broken oxygen sensor, and jeep is fine for now. Ill keep monitoring it over the next week back and forth to work.

Still havent figured out the vibration feeling she was getting though, i felt a little shimmy in the rear but it went away after about a minute and hasnt come back.,

#213 ·
That is not too bad for fuel econ, like I had said earlier, I only do a little better then that! :D

At least is was giving you a code to start somewhere with. Think it could be a wheel out of balance?

#215 ·
Lol, My Jeep will do that too, have an issue one day and go away the next day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.