Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

02' WJ RE-Build

13K views 215 replies 13 participants last post by  robd2003 
#1 ·
Okay, on with another build or rebuild for the matter of another jeep. This one is a 2002 WJ Laredo <-Correct me if i spelled it wrong lol, anyways, I6 with 145,029 miles , 242, I believe a D35 in the rear, it has a CV joint at the t-case and a u-joint on the axle side. Tinted windows all around, aftermarket tail lights that are tinted, and is Dark Metallic Grey in color... Picked it up for $2,675(Sales tax included) from my part time job[Midwest Auto], A jeep salvage yard. Well the jeep had sat in the yard for a few months now and i decided I really wanted to get back into a WJ just for the simple fact we have our 1 month old riding in the back and the XJ seems to be a little crowded.

11-1-2011 Is the day I took possesion of this Jeep, and my birthday is 11-21, so maybe in 20 days ill be done with it and it will be a gift not only to me but to my wife. I know all this talk and not much about why it was only $2,6075. Just so happen this Jeep is wrecked, but it was hit above the frame rail in the center of the hood, and wiped out, well you know what is under the hood and above the crossmember, so all this is being replaced.

Pics of 11-1-11
Only two, but it gives you the idea of what I'm working with.

11-2-2011
Got off from work 3pm to 1am the day before and worked in the garage from 1 to about 2:45AM on the jeep getting things apart.

See less See more
#28 ·
The new WJ is coming along really nicely! have any idea what color you are going to get it repainted?

Also the LED Light bars all soooo sweet!

#29 ·
for some reason i would be so pissed if someone bought my jeep then changed the cut fenders ....my brothers girlfriend had a black ford focus that was blacked out with 5%tint all around and blacked out taillights and she traded it in for a jeep WK ....a couple days later a saw her old focus at wawa with no tint on the front windows and they half way took off the tint on the tail lights (looked horrible)... so i asked the kid why he took off all the tint and he said "i didnt really like it" :confused::brickwall....i dont understand why someone would buy a car then take off the things that were done with it

#31 ·
yeah, it happens, especially when theoretically they repo a vehicle though, and want to sell it again. they gotta return it to stock or fix whats broken, or vise versa.

I'll be perfectley happy with this one, and possibly buy another one, but in the V8 option again. The I6 is proving to me though with the weight of the wj compared to my XJ.

Which the XJ is up for sale. $2,000 OBO/TRADE and I almost had a trade for an 01 WJ V8. But the person still owes on their WJ, so oh well.. We'll see how things go.

#32 ·
I do not blame you for wanting the v8... it must be nice! I have not been in a v8 grand ever so I do not know!

#33 ·
lol its pretty cool but they are high maintenance though and super picky on things.

Got a grille put on the jeep today, its chrome and peeling so it'll be getting sanded and bedlined.

#34 ·
What is high maintenance about them?

#36 ·
Oh with the HO? I thought you were saying that the 6 was costing alot!

#37 ·
Oh no, def not. The HO is what required more than enough attention lol, put the factory bumper on, its got a decent crack by the headlight on the passenger side, but it'll do for now. Ill post up few more pics tonight when I upload them to PB

#38 ·
Since threads are pointless mostly without pics, here's a few more. Got the bumper it had put back on, it's got a crack in it, but it's doable for the time being.

Went for a country drive also.

and one for just fun

reminds me of CARS :D

#40 ·
the last one makes it look like a commander

#39 ·
Looks good! How is it running?

And yeah that looks like cars!

#41 ·
lol, its running great actually, no major problems so far besides a bad tps . not sure if its bad, or if every now and then the voltage drops at it and it kicks the cel on. but never runs rough? so idk...

ha, and yeah it does look like a commander in the last one

#42 ·
That is interesting! How does it idle? RPM wise ?

#44 ·
whatever normal idle is? lol, i cant remember off top my head right now without looking. but it runs smooth except for an exhaust leak up by the manifold.

#45 ·
I do love how flexy the WJ is when stock!

#46 ·
haha i just posted pics and you replied... lol, yeah i think its pretty good for stock suv. just need some 2" spacers and new shocks and a slightly larger tire and im good to go lol

#48 ·
robd2003 said:
whatever normal idle is? lol, i cant remember off top my head right now without looking. but it runs smooth except for an exhaust leak up by the manifold.
That is good to hear, minus the exhaust leak. Ha. I think I need to do a throttle body cleaning and a IAC cleaning. It idles fine, just not super smooth.

#49 ·
Yeah, i plan to do a thorough cleaning here soon, once some money free's up. End of the year slow down at the factory, but the wife is going to look for another job now that we have a vehicle she can drive. I was thinking OME also, since I always here good things about how well they ride.

#51 ·
I really like the tails and 3rd brake light. If you wanna do halos, get the CCFL halos!

#52 ·
yes I was just reading on your build thread about the led ones melting.

Just a thought on this, cause I'm not sure, but can't I use a tj bb on the wj? If so I can get it at work probably before christmas :D haha that would hold me over till I got ome lift.

#53 ·
I have no LED's left on my lights, I gave up after both side were having problems, so I just pulled the fuse on them.

I do not think you can because the way the springs sit are different, I think something to do with the isolators being different.

Worth x2 checking

#55 ·
Here is some info, I was right Here

#57 ·
Yeah I only have 15 Credit hours this semester in College! :rofl:

#59 ·
I have moments where I am swamped but this week is the last week before thanksgiving break and everyone is like whatev! hahaha

#60 ·
jesus and i thought i was quick creepin on everyones threads

#61 ·
Instant email on when new posts are made. Don't really have much else to do at the moment... hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.