02 TJ On / Off Road Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 02 TJ On / Off Road Build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

02 TJ On / Off Road Build

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not to the jeep world. Had my first one (YJ) 8 years ago. Got out of jeeps for a while, because life got crazy, but I just sold my pickup and picked up a previous salvage TJ 4.0L on the super cheap. It drives perfectly straight, has zero rust, except for a quarter size spot under the rear license plate and surface rust on the front bumper which i plan on wire wheeling and rustoleum truck bed lining. It was in a front end collision and the grille and hood are just slightly out of whack. I plan on straightening that out better.

Issues when purchased

Rear end and power steering is leaking.
Long Cranks before start.
Needs brakes
Drivers Seat is ripped up
Ran Slightly rough
Plans as of now

When I first picked it up

My Plans

4" lift
33's
some offroad lighting

So Far I've

Acquired Hard Top
Acquired Wheels
Changed Spark Plugs
Changed Coil Pack
Fixed Leak in the rear
Light Rock Guards
Grille Guard
Fixed the rusty front bumper
various little interior things.

Current State

Snow Jeep by Larry Fopps Photography, on Flickr

I want a 4 inch suspension lift, i know i need a sye, and rear driveshaft as well. Anyone have suggestions on lifts? I don't want to go long arm, its overkill for me. This thing is a daily driver with occasional trail action.

I'm thinking about the Iron Rock Ultimate short arm kit, Rough Country X series 4 inch, Zone 4 inch, Rugged Ridge ORV 4 inch kit, and the RCD 4 inch kit. Does anyone have experience with any of these or have any better suggestions?

lfopps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Boog
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF, and nice TJ. As far as a lift to run 33s, I would have to recommend a 2-3 inch lift accompanied by a 1-1.25 inch body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift. Staying in that range with spring height and the MML should keep you vibe free and not need a SYE. This height should allow you to keep your stock control arms and rear track bar (with the addition of a relocation bracket), but a front adjustable track bar is a good idea. If you're on a tight budget, that's a good way to go. If you have money to spend, that's a different story.
Air Force Jeep Club #147
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/boogs-slow-tj-build-1469852/
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a fan of body lifts, i'd rather it be all suspension, and go for the sye and driveshaft as well.
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the coil pack today. Idling a bit smoother. I still have a long crank issue. Going to diagnose the Coolant temp sensor, fpr, and fuel filter.

On another note i'm looking to trade my soft top for a black one.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned the Throttle body and iac, helped mildly with the idle. Still have the long crank issue. Going to test fuel pressure and o2 sensors when i get a chance.
Unread 02-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

had a wheel cylinder go on me the other day that'll be getting taken care of tonight after work. Also i think i tracked my long crank issue down to my fuel pressure regulator. I'm going to do a fuel pressure test before dropping the tank just to make sure my fuel pump isn't failing but hopefully that'll take care of it.
Unread 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Removed the factory steps completely overhauled the brakes at all four corners. Pressure bleeders are the greatest thing in the world.

Unread 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

More progress tonight. Solved the long crank issue by dropping the tank and changing the fpr.

Sorry this isn't an exciting build… YET, but like all of my other previously neglected vehicles, my main focus is reliability. Once reliable, than the real build begins.

In addition to the long crank its also running a bit smoother now as well. Still have a couple of issues to resolve.

Violent Vibration over 70mph

Rear track bar bushings

Very slight unsteady idle ( thinking it may be a leaking injector )

Then, it gets lifted.
Unread 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got my lift, its not getting installed just yet. Went with the Zone 4 inch with hydro shocks. I need to replace tie rods and ball joints as well as get a front adjustable track bar. I kind of want the jks track bar. So once tax returns come in, i'll order the crown HD steering assembly, and the track bar. I want to do everything all at once, so the lift will sit in the box until then.
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Took full advantage of the beautiful weather all weekend, had the top down, unfortunately took all weekend to get the doors off but got them off, wire wheeled the pins, greased them up and now they go on and off like butter.

Another strange issue, my subwoofer worked for like two hours when i first bought this jeep back in november, hasn't worked since. Yesterday i was sitting in line at the drive through i started playing with my rear defrost and rear wiper switch ( which have no wiring at all going to them) and all of a sudden it started working. Worked for like two hours consistently, then started randomly cutting in and out then stopped working entirely. I'm guessing its a loose wire, so im going to pull the console and start chasing wires but any possibility of anything else?
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Been a while since i've posted.

My Steering box is leaking like crazy so i just stopped at TNT and grabbed one that seems to be practically brand new on the cheap

Also, found the source of my vibrations. Rear passenger axle shaft was bent as well as the wheel. Picked up a set of wheels and tires temporarily, also cheap for now until its lifted. Also got a new sailcloth replace a top.

And also snagged a lock a trunk

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

And here it is with the new top and temporary wheels.

Unread 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the steering box today, so that's finally taken care of. Now i have to do the front axle seals as i have some seepage from the shaft on the front driver's side. Other than that still been collecting parts for the lift. I got in the JKS track bar and crown HD steering kit. At this point i just need extended brake lines and tires and i'm good for install.
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
lfopps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

brake lines are in. Also scored an awesome deal on a new hardtop in great condition for 250. black tinted windows working defroster wiper and everything. Also scored a swing out for $60 bucks brand new just have to source a latch and pinion.

I've thought i had lifter tap since i bought it. Turns out i didn't. Cam Synchronizer had crazy wear. Ticking is gone, its running smoother and more responsive than ever now.

Just need tires and rear shock bolts and its gets lifted.

Unread 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
HellaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far!
HellaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.