01 TJ Project!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 01 TJ Project!!!

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, I posted a build thread on my local jeep forum. I figured it was time to show off my jeep on a bigger forum!! Here is my list of parts that I already have and what I am ordering. I am including the best prices I could find on the parts as well. Feel free to tell me what you think of my list and what you would change (If any) I have edited my list as my build has changed!!
What I already have:
- Treadwright 5x315/75R16 MTR knockoffs with BFG A/T 3ply sidewall ($873)
- Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch ($280)
- Rubicon Express Hand Throttle Kit ($35) Yet to be installed!
- MetalCloak Front/rear fenders with rocker guards ($1900 shipped)
- 5x BlackRock 16x8 wheels ($365)
- ORF Fab Stinger front bumper ($380)
- LOD Xtreme Duty tire carrier rear bumper ($500)
- JKS 1.25" Body Lift ($121.50)
- JKS 1" MML ($72)
- 2 Inch BB lift (FREE!!)
- Currie Adjustable control arms ($1000) on the way!!
- UCF engine/trans skid,ultra high Tummy Tuck skid, Aluminum Gas Tank skid, and lopro mount ($900) on the way!!

What I am going to get:
- 4.88 gears for Dana 30 and Dana 44 ($323)
- Detroit soft locker for rear Dana 44 ($600) (Still looking into airlocker)
- Spartan locker for front Dana 30 ($260) (Still looking into airlocker)
- Riddler Differential Covers x2 ($200)
- SYE with TW driveshaft ($500)
- ZJ steering (have yet to price)

Well, That pretty much completes my list for now. I plan on doing most of the work myself. Just scroll down to see all the build. Like I said if you guys see anything outta place or something I should change, don't hesitate to comment! I plan on doing a full write up on this so keep posted for pics and review!
How it looked when I brought it home

How it looks now

Last edited by THerr118; 10-18-2012 at 02:13 PM..
THerr118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I planned on putting a bigger lift but fell in love with the metalcloaks and I love the idea of staying low and stable but having the clearance for 35s. So I got metalcloak front/rear and rockers. I opted for the 4'' fender flares. The instal was very easy!! The hardest part was drilling into my virgin tj!!
About to start!!

Don't mind the primer rear flares. They are painted now, haha!!

Last edited by THerr118; 10-18-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went to SMORR last week and had a blast!! I met some great people and did some awesome trails!! Thought I'd post a few pics up! I didn't come out unscathed though. I bent a front lower control arm!! Which is just a good excuse for me to order some adjustables!! Just got to decide between Currie or rokmen!! (Opinions?)I also need engine,trans, and gas skid. I was trying to decide between rokmen or UCF.(opinions?)

Unread 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks good,

go with currie double adjustable control arms and UCF for an engine/trans skid in aluminum.

stay away from the ZJ steering set up. i bent mine twice with 33's. ended up replacing it with the currie set up. I wish i had done it properly the first time, it would have saved me time and money in the long run. (although i do have a decent ZJ set up if you are interested, two tie rods with low miles and mild bends in them)

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I rubbed a lot at smorr but thanks to Ryan, who I met at SMORR last week, I now have a 2" BB lift!!! Here are some pics!! It only took me two hours!! (This is also with a 1.25 bl that I already put on)

Before

After

After putting the 2" BB with help from my 1.25bl and 1mml I already installed, I rub very little now at full flex!! I just need to get some 5100's and adjustable bump stops!!
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie
looks good,

go with currie double adjustable control arms and UCF for an engine/trans skid in aluminum.

stay away from the ZJ steering set up. i bent mine twice with 33's. ended up replacing it with the currie set up. I wish i had done it properly the first time, it would have saved me time and money in the long run. (although i do have a decent ZJ set up if you are interested, two tie rods with low miles and mild bends in them)
Thanks!! What makes the Currie better than rokmen? Is it only because the ease of adjusting? I would love to do all aluminum but I don't know if I want to shell out the extra cash!! I've been contemplating it though. Dang, I was hoping to save more cash by going the zj route :\ haha thanks for the offer though!!
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THerr118 View Post
Thanks!! What makes the Currie better than rokmen? Is it only because the ease of adjusting? I would love to do all aluminum but I don't know if I want to shell out the extra cash!! I've been contemplating it though. Dang, I was hoping to save more cash by going the zj route :\ haha thanks for the offer though!!
any control arm that uses two currie jonny joints is going to get you good flexability offroad. however, the double adjustability of the Curries make setting pinion angles and caster angles a breeze. otherwise you have to remove one side of the control arm and rotate it 180 or 360, then reinstall. the double adjustable one you simply loosen the jam nuts and rotate the center.

the ZJ tie rod is a nice upgrade. i certaintly would have tacoed a stock TJ tie rod. but i feel for the money and time it took me the ZJ was a waste of time. and by the terrain you wheel, 35's, and adding lockers; i think you will have the same results as I had with the ZJ tie rod. it doenst leave you stranded on the trail and can be fixed with a press, but its a hastle that i would rather not have to deal with after every trip out.

A Hokie build

Unread 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

wow man badass TJ! Makes me want one still.. perfect set up for some good wheeling/DD'ing. Look forward to the build continuation
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks awesome! Looks like you had a good time wheel'n. I don't think you could go wrong going with Currie or Rokmen. The Rokmen arms are stout, almost overkill IMO.You interested in getting rid of your Sahara flares?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
any control arm that uses two currie jonny joints is going to get you good flexability offroad. however, the double adjustability of the Curries make setting pinion angles and caster angles a breeze. otherwise you have to remove one side of the control arm and rotate it 180 or 360, then reinstall. the double adjustable one you simply loosen the jam nuts and rotate the center.

the ZJ tie rod is a nice upgrade. i certaintly would have tacoed a stock TJ tie rod. but i feel for the money and time it took me the ZJ was a waste of time. and by the terrain you wheel, 35's, and adding lockers; i think you will have the same results as I had with the ZJ tie rod. it doenst leave you stranded on the trail and can be fixed with a press, but its a hastle that i would rather not have to deal with after every trip out.
I don't think I'll ever adjust them after the initial instal, i see it as another thing to fail. But you do make a good point! I think you're right about the zj tie rod. I think I might save up!! Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowYJ View Post
wow man badass TJ! Makes me want one still.. perfect set up for some good wheeling/DD'ing. Look forward to the build continuation
Thanks Snow!! It's my dream jeep!! If only I had bigger pockets!! HaHaHa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Jeep looks awesome! Looks like you had a good time wheel'n. I don't think you could go wrong going with Currie or Rokmen. The Rokmen arms are stout, almost overkill IMO.You interested in getting rid of your Sahara flares?
Thanks bob!! and yes I am wanting to sell all the stuff I took off. PM for more info!
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I just ordered my Currie control arms and decided to go with UCF for my under armor!! I went with aluminum gas tank skid cause it saved 40lbs and only cost 20 extra bucks. I went with 1/4 steel for the engine/trans and transfer case skid because I didnt see saving 40lbs being worth as much money as it would cost. I also got the lopro trans mount to try and get away with not doing a sye and ds yet, hopefully it works!

Last edited by THerr118; 10-18-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THerr118 View Post
Well I just ordered my Currie control arms and decided to go with UCF for my under armor!! I went with aluminum gas tank skid cause it saved 40lbs and only cost 20 extra bucks. I went with 1/4 steel for the engine/trans and transfer case skid because I didnt see saving 40lbs being worth as much money as it would cost. I also got the lopro trans mount to try and get away with not doing a sye and ds yet, hopefully it works!
which t-case skid did you go with? ultra high?

if you do end up with vibes after the skids you can always drop the t-case skid down a little until the vibes are gone. then when you have then $$ / time for the SYE and DS, you can remove the drop.

good thinking in regards to weight vs $$.

did you get the complete set of control arms?

did you look into the Novak cable shifter?

how do you plan on dealing with the affects of a new rear pinion angle (post SYE) on your track bar?

A Hokie build

Unread 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie

which t-case skid did you go with? ultra high?

if you do end up with vibes after the skids you can always drop the t-case skid down a little until the vibes are gone. then when you have then $$ / time for the SYE and DS, you can remove the drop.

good thinking in regards to weight vs $$.

did you get the complete set of control arms?

did you look into the Novak cable shifter?

how do you plan on dealing with the affects of a new rear pinion angle (post SYE) on your track bar?
I went with the 1/4 steel ultra high skid. I did get all 8 Currie control arms!! I was actually about to buy the Novak! And I was going to get an adjustable front and rear track bar before I did the sye.
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep you have. Love the pictures of SMORR. One of these days I hope to make trip ouy to SMORR.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
THerr118
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150
Nice Jeep you have. Love the pictures of SMORR. One of these days I hope to make trip ouy to SMORR.
Thanks!! SMORR is an awesome park! You definitely need to make time to go. I just went to Disney this weekend. I'll post up pics asap!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.