00CherokeeXJ14 Project "Xtreme Urban" Build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 00CherokeeXJ14 Project "Xtreme Urban" Build thread

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

00CherokeeXJ14 Project "Xtreme Urban" Build thread

Figured its time to make a build thread for my XJ. I dont have a ton of money but I always like doing the little things until I can get the big things done. And another thing.. My jeep is from Texas originally, its been in WNY for about 5 yrs and the rust already shows. 92,xxx on the clock right now

The day I brought it home..

The Second day I had it, I got a u joint replaced, brakes, new tank straps and the rims painted, you can see I left the centers silver, love that look.

Tires that were on it when I bought it were alright but I wanted more tread for the snow, So I went and got some Kuhmo Road Venture A/T and another set of rims from the junkyard for winter and I will put the other set back in spring. My goal once the tread is gone on the older tires to put some bigger tires on them for summer trail riding.

Some more Pics:

I started getting worried about the back sagging too much, so I started talking about lifting it and one of my buddies sent me a link to an RC shock/bastard pack setup for $125, which everything was brand new and thats an amazing deal. All together it was a 2.75" lift in back and 3" up front. I plan on putting 1" blocks in the back sometime.
Before...

After...

This one is just the back lifted, ran it that way for about a week until I got a chance to get the front done.

Heres a pic of it all finished..

Now for the good stuff, Im not much of a mechanic but I did do my lift entirely by myself.
Heres some pics from my lift and needless to say I need a better camera.

Notice how these are pretty much flat.. yeah I dont like that.

Thats some kinda thick welders coat to keep the spark away from the tank as I had to cut the bolts off the top of the leafs.

98GooseXJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This was my only small snag along the way.. I had all the other bolts broken loose and I go to do that one and the whole bolt just twisted with the nut and as you can see I wrapped it with a chain to get it to my buddies shop to get it cut drilled and welded.

It's now winter time here, so the build up will be on a slow pace as of now..

But I got my center dash piece painted a metallic bronze to break up the black and grey.

Good in vehicle pic coming soon..
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just got some pics with it in.. Now I see it, on either side of the trim or in the in between I may do black or that hammered look. I could also go to the JY and get some centers and have them interchangeable hah However I do this I plan on doing the rest about the same.

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I want to get the center to look more wood grain, I plan on doing either side black and pull the can a bit further back with some light sprays to get a different look.

Any thoughts of what I have done so far?
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
fishinsinsation

why not hit the local junk yards and get the piece from a limited?
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice start dude.. i kniw this winter thing is going to slow me down so much! and i dont have a garage here (i do at my dads work, but not around here, thats like an hour away) haha
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinsinsation View Post
why not hit the local junk yards and get the piece from a limited?
I am going to try that once it gets warmer and less snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkInNJ View Post
Nice start dude.. i kniw this winter thing is going to slow me down so much! and i dont have a garage here (i do at my dads work, but not around here, thats like an hour away) haha
I dont have much of a garage either to use. kind of a tent thing, but I cant do anything anyways as it has not stopped snowing in a few days.
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00CherokeeXJ14 View Post
I am going to try that once it gets warmer and less snow.

I dont have much of a garage either to use. kind of a tent thing, but I cant do anything anyways as it has not stopped snowing in a few days.
yeahh.. i just use the driveway unless i go up north.. but that sucks.. i hate the winter and snoww!
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Progress!!! kinda..
Finally got my hands on my parents good camera to get some good pics of everything. It was about 20* out and I was determined to get some good ones finally.

The reasons I did this was I had a bad vibration in what I think is the right front.. I also wanted to rotate the tires. I found a ton of ice built up in the rim on the right front and so far the problem seems to have been fixed.

Once I get my SYE in, I plan on going another 2" in the back and 1" in the front.

Unread 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I hate salt.. I need to wash it soon after I scrape everything off. And I will be sanding.. cleaning and repainting a lot. My front and rear dif covers will be painted red when I get time in spring to change the fluids in everything.
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I need a new exhaust bad but for one.. with buffalo NY winters and salt, its not going to happen until the snow is gone. but I would like to get what I need to do it before the time comes.

Now I have better things to be spending my money on.. SYE, tires, recovery gear.. etc. so Im thinking about just getting the stock size and autozone has the piping for about 30 bucks from the muffler back.. and I need a new muffler, I was planning on just getting a cherrybomb turbo whatever. Im not an exhaust guy but I want to be able to hear it. I also dont really care how well it is as long as it doesnt leak and will pass inspection.

I plan on getting the piping.. muffler and taking it to my buddies shop to get everything put in. Also where the bottom of my header..(downpipe whatever its called not too sure really..) is, the bolts are rotted out and I have 2 C clamps holding it together, it leaks. its loud. and I dont like it. Prob cost me about 100 to 150 bucks.
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alright I have been going through my spring plans for the jeep. I want to do a few degree shim in the rear axle along with a 1" t case drop along with putting the new rear main leafs in that I have.

I also have a larger paint type job I want to do.. Two tone job on mine.

This is not my jeep, just a good pic I found of a black one that I plan on doing this to it..
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do it dude. i have a question hha what does the "Police Package" mean?
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkInNJ View Post
Do it dude. i have a question hha what does the "Police Package" mean?
Police Package means that it was outfitted with all the equipment that police vehicles get, better cooling, electrical power, and bigger brakes.
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00CherokeeXJ14 View Post
Police Package means that it was outfitted with all the equipment that police vehicles get, better cooling, electrical power, and bigger brakes.
Thats what i thought it meant ok. i'm not crazy haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.