00 TJ build/update thread (D30/44, lockers, etc.) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 00 TJ build/update thread (D30/44, lockers, etc.)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

00 TJ build/update thread (D30/44, lockers, etc.)

Hello all

Under a year ago I sold my first TJ (thread link in signature) in order to eliminate debt. I ended up trading my 04 TJ for a 2003 Chevy 2500HD + cash. I used said cash to pay off my loan, and thought I would be happy with my newly acquired 3/4 ton 4WD truck. The truck wasn't bad, had every option available, tons of power, but it just wasn't the same. So I ended up trading it for another TJ, this time a 2000 that was already pretty modified.

Info on the new, to me, TJ:

2000 Sport
6 cyl
32RH auto
Rock Crawler 3.5" long arm kit with ACOS all around
Rough Country 2.2 shocks
3 link D30 front, ARB, Alloys, WJ brakes, 4.56
4 link D44 rear, OX, Alloys, 4.56
Tom Woods driveshafts front and rear
SYE
Smittybuilt tube fenders and rear corners
Hanson offroad front bumper, Warn winch with synthetic rope
Unknown rear bumper + tire carrier
35" MT/R K's, steel beadlocks

I haven't done much other than remove the seat covers, check all the fluids, clean it up a little, install an oil pan skid I had laying around, remove the white gauge cluster and HVAC overlays, and sit around thinking what to do next...

Plans:

-Procure used OEM carpet and install (I like this creature comfort)
-Remove and sell the Rubicon rocker guards and Smittybuilt tube steps
-Order, paint, and install Barnes 4wd rocker guards
-My front bumper is up for sale, and if it sells I will replace it with a Barnes. If it does not sell I am going to chop the outside tubes and narrow it some.
-Adjust transfercase linkage, if not satisfied, I will order another Novak kit
-Clean this front to back, top to bottom, inside and out in the Spring
-Paint the frame, axles, gas tank skid, rear bumper + tire carrier, etc.
-Different switch panel, don't care for giving up the tray above the CD player
-POSSIBLY replace all of the joints, thinking MC joints.

Pics:

Unread 01-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
evanchasee

She's a beaut!
evanchasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
daryl50

Looks good! Are there wheel spacers on there?
daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I don't think there are wheel spacers, but I can't say for sure as I haven't pulled the wheels and tires off to look everything over. Planning on doing that as soon as the weather turns, killing me not knowing everything front to back. I think it looks a lot wider than it really is are there are no flares.
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
MrSundays
Raptor Jesus

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of going with OEM carpet, might I suggest BedRug? Jeep looks like its in pretty good shape. Good luck with the build!
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmnSyd View Post
Instead of going with OEM carpet, might I suggest BedRug? Jeep looks like its in pretty good shape. Good luck with the build!
Thanks! Do you have a BedRug? I am open to non-OEM options as long as they are high quality..
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
MrSundays
Raptor Jesus

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civic_Sedan
Thanks! Do you have a BedRug? I am open to non-OEM options as long as they are high quality..
I don't have it but I'm getting the BedTred version which is a Berliner like carpet insert. I hear BedRug is nice but some complain about the fit. My buddy has it and has never said anything about the fit. Take a look at the website. It's a high quality carpet substitute.
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmnSyd View Post
I don't have it but I'm getting the BedTred version which is a Berliner like carpet insert. I hear BedRug is nice but some complain about the fit. My buddy has it and has never said anything about the fit. Take a look at the website. It's a high quality carpet substitute.
Thanks - I took a look at both products, and my issue is cost. I'd rather save over $200 and buy some new aftermarket carpet from eBay. The main issue I am running into is I cannot find said carpet in khaki/tan/spice, only black. At this point I don't think black would look too bad, so I may settle with that. Even some of the used carpet is high IMO. I've been checking CL, etc.
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
MrSundays
Raptor Jesus

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civic_Sedan View Post
Thanks - I took a look at both products, and my issue is cost. I'd rather save over $200 and buy some new aftermarket carpet from eBay. The main issue I am running into is I cannot find said carpet in khaki/tan/spice, only black. At this point I don't think black would look too bad, so I may settle with that. Even some of the used carpet is high IMO. I've been checking CL, etc.
You could always buy some black or such and paint it with either upholstery or carpet spray paint. I dont know how it would look haha.
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spent a good amount of time under the Jeep today:
-Greased all the fittings, more than my last TJ as this one has them on the ujoints, yokes, arms, etc.
-Engine oil and filter change. The oil was pretty dark.
-Changed the front diff fluid, with the ARB cover it's so easy!
-Changed the transfercase fluid. Bit different than my old TJ as this OEM skid is different, but was able to make a "slide" of sorts out of AL foil, for the fluid to run down into a drain pain. Worked beautifully actually.
-Changed the brake fluid

I did notice that the front diff fluid seemed to have some metallic build up on the magnetic drain plug, more than I expected (no pic, sigh). Perhaps after it was re-geared the PO didn't change it shortly after? I am going to give it some time and change it again to see if if looks better. I have never had an ARB, so didn't know if some was expected or the norm, can someone speak to this?

The ATF in the transfercase was old, glad to have that changed. Rather than being a pink/grey color, it is now red again.

Final question - it seems that the PO put ATF in the Power Steering system, but the manual specifically calls for PS fluid. I have researched and the ATF was good to use on later TJs after the PS gearbox was changed to a different model. I assume I will have to flush this to get it out?
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Finished up the round of fluid changes today with the rear diff. Was super easy as the OX cover has drain plug and a large fill hole.

I was looking through the stuff in the manual and found the original order form and original application for title. Jeep came from Ohio. Here's the original order form, I just think it's cool this has lasted 15 years.

image-899931739.jpg
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Found what I believe is the source of the water coming inside the jeep on the driver side. Looks like the PO ran a few wires through one of the higher factory firewall plug and the hole was too big. Added a little rtv and should be good.

Have a few things for sale on craigslist and pending their sale I will be ordering my Barnes bumper and rockers soon.
Unread 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Changed the power steering fluid, seems the PO put ATF in there when the manual specifically calls for PS fluid. Anyone consider this to be an issue? I sucked the old ATF out, filled with PS fluid, let it run and cranked the wheel side to side a few times. The last time I filled it up most of the red tint was gone...

Also stopped at the dealership and picked up a case of ATF+4 yesterday. I drained the deep pan and then added 4 quarts. I am going to do that again in a couple of months, then a couple of months after that - drop the pan, change the filter, and put new fluid in. That should get most of the fluid to "good" without too much effort.

I have a small squeak coming from the front drive shaft, assume it's the centering ball but haven't investigated as of yet.
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Super frustrating. Pretty sure I had my current bumper sold, and cannot seem to get the freaking bolts out. They have been there a while (it seems), are on with the strength of 10 men, and getting a wrench on them is the only option - space is TIGHT. I have SOAKED them in PB Blaster, and still little to no success. So I have told the guy that I cannot sell it as of right now. I think I am going to buy a propane torch tomorrow and see if that helps.

Look at this stupid design:

Unread 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We've had acceptable Spring weather for the past couple of days so I've taken advantage of it by performing the below. I am pleased with the results, as hopefully most of the surface rust is now stopped.

-Shampoo seats (no pics, but the water came out pretty dirty so they're much better than before)
-Sand, prime, paint the gas tank skid
-Sand, prime, paint the rear inner fenders
-Sand, prime, paint the rear bumper + tire carrier

Gas tank before, during, and after:

Rear inner fenders before, during, after. Apologize these pics are not the best as it's dark in the fender well.

Bumper during and after the first coat of hammered black. I put 2 thicker coats down after this pic and many of the imperfections are better masked

This is the type of care this Jeep needs. The frame and axles look terrible against new paint, but I am waiting until Spring when I have several days of good weather to address those.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.