15K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chopstix333 
#1 ·
Product Information
Price $400
Rating 4
Average Price $325.8
Manufacturer Smittybilt
Recommended Yes: 5 / No: 0

lightweight rack. can hold about 300 lbs.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Price $350
Rating 3
Recommended yes

Comments: used it once to go camping. worked out great. was a pain to install. smittybilt sent me the wrong hardware, tools, and install instructions. good thing my shop is a catch all for hardware and tools.

#3 ·
Price $400
Rating 5
Recommended yes

Comments: This thing is GREAT! Initially had an issue with water freezing inside the tubes and breaking the welds loose, but Smittybilt and 4wd.com took good care of me. On the new lower rear tubes I drilled a drain hole to help alleviate this issue.

#4 ·
Price $300
Pros sturdy, great finish
Cons hardware, needs wind deflection
Recommended yes

Comments: If you install this before you start take the hardware package down to the hardware store and replace all the allen head bolts with hex head. It's impossible to torque the allen heads tight enough and the rack will squeak and rattle to the point of distraction. It's just fine with hexhead bolts. For the detail minded either find black ones or paint the ones you get.

Hardest part of install were the bolts that go through the windshield hinge. The speaker magnets want to pull the wrenches around.

A wind deflector is necessary to stop the howling that occurs at 55 mph.

Load it up. It's flexes a bit side to side but is quite sturdy.

#6 ·
Price $299.99
Rating 4
Pros Looks Great, Strong, Cheap
Cons Installation, Heavy
Recommended yes

Comments: Looks great for a very low price. Cheapest rack out there in terms of price and gets the job done. You need two people to install the rack and you may run into a problem reinstalling your rear bumper since it bolts onto the rear frame of the Jeep. I had to modify my tube bumper brackets to put it all back together.

There's a wind tunnel effect when going 40+ mph, but it goes away with the radio turned up. I got the Smittybilt Defender Roof Rack with this rack base and it works well for under 800 dollars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.