Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > Olympic Top Hat rack (Cherokee)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Olympic Top Hat rack (Cherokee) Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

Olympic Top Hat rack (Cherokee)

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $100.00
Average Price: $366.67
Manufacturer: Olympic
Recommended?
Yes: 3 / No: 1

Top off your Cherokee with this multi functional cargo carrier that has side bars to protect your vehicle's outside side edges from off-road hazards. Basket size 50" x 60". No need to remove you original roof rails to install Olympic's rack.

The picture shows the older style rack with eye bolts. The 2007+ racks use standard carriage bolts.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

ericjeepguy
ericjeepguy's Reviews

03-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Improved hardware and powder coated finish, top side rock slide bar is included.
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: As I also have a 93 XJ that I wanted a rack for, after reading the reviews I called the company to see if they ignored or moved on the things that some of u didnt like. I found out they are now having there hardware plated with black zink which keeps it from rusting and the guy said they changed the powder coating about a year ago to a finer texture that has better adhesion to the metal for a more durable and longer lasting finish. He sent me a picture of one of there customers Cherokees with a five hundred pound Boar in there Rack, that was impressive so I bought one. What I got is pretty cool looking, the powder coating looks great, will see how it holds up. For now I'm pretty proud of my new rack, thanks Olympic keep up the good work.

PDBreske

PDBreske's Reviews

12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Looks good. Side rails are convenient handholds.
Cons: Unbelievably hard to install. Heavy.
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this rack because I wanted a large rack with a lot of capacity. It looks great and the side rails offer a great place to lift yourself into a tall Jeep (especially when combined with the Oly Reversa-Bars rocker protectors/steps). Once it's on it seems pretty solid and it should give me a nice platform for photography (my other hobby). The trouble is, it's super tough to install. It took me about six hours over the course of two days to get this thing to fit, and then only after some modifications.

The carriage bolts that come with the current models aren't nearly long enough to engage all the way through the basket sides and the mounting tabs on the cross rails. They might be long enough, except that you have to mount the basket top loop upside down for the bolt holes to line up with the basket bottom. The holes in the top loop are supposed to be larger where the carriage bolt heads go through it to accommodate the square part underneath the bolt head, but they drilled the holes wrong and the larger holes are only on top when the basket is mounted upside down. I decided to upgrade my rack to the older style by purchasing ten eight-inch eyebolts from Home Depot and using them instead of the included carriage bolts. I like the additional tie-downs but I'll have to use a cut-off wheel to remove a little excess bolt from the bottom of each eyebolt (eight inches is a little too long).

The cross rails are too wide to fit across the back of the Jeep. Cherokees are narrower at the rear and you really have to use a ratcheting cargo strap to pull the two halves together close enough to get the mounting tabs in the rain gutters at the rear. The front is fine unless you accept that the basket is then too narrow to fit on the front rail without using the cargo strap trick to squeeze the rails to fit the basket.

Now you've got those parts on the roof, so it's time to slide in the side rails through the tubes on the ends of the cross rails. You'll have to loosen the cross rail mounts so you can twist the cross rails enough to allow the side rails to be hammered through from front to rear. Be advised this will result in some loss of texture (Rubicon Black model) or scratches on the gloss powder coat.

Like I said, about six hours and my hands were so sore I could barely eat dinner. The only reason I didn't send it back was because I didn't want to eat the shipping for a 95 pound box. Unless you love to futz with pieces that don't seem to be made for your Jeep, I wouldn't recommend this rack.

cptnslow
cptnslow's Reviews

09-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: nice sturdy rack , clamps to the rain gutter so need to watch how much the clamps are tightend , sides are pretty tall

whatevah
whatevah's Reviews

07-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got this cheap as a scratch'n'dent. If I paid full price, I'd be a little dissapointed with the powdercoat quality. Olympic's textured powdercoat doesn't last very well, it flakes off in a few months. That aside, it's a great product. Very strong, holds a lot of gear, and the side bars are a great help if you get aggressive on the trails near trees. 8/10 because of the powdercoat issues.