Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > Olympic Dave's Rack

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Olympic Dave's Rack Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

Olympic Dave's Rack

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $630.00
Average Price: $657.33
Manufacturer: Olympic
Recommended?
Yes: 5 / No: 1

Dave’s Rack offers numerous advantages to the Jeep owner. Superior to any rack on the market today. You can easily lift the rack up to fold down the convertible style soft top. The top of the Dave’s Rack lifts up and over 180 degrees to create the perfect sunshade for picnics and camping. Dave’s Rack comes with Sport Rails, which can be easily removed to convert the rack to a sunshade. No drilling required. Bolts into front windshield hinges and into existing mounting holes behind the rear tail lights. For extra strength and security, Dave’s Rack bolts directly to the vehicles frame at both the body mount points and directly to the frame.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

dickinsondd
dickinsondd's Reviews
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: solid. simple installation
Cons: rust.
Recommended? No

Comments: overall, I like the rack. it does tend to rust at the joints (knew this going in). I've managed to keep it to a minimum with strategically placed beads of silicon, but for the price I'd expect better. As far as that flip around to form a canopy feature: great idea, I've used exactly zero times.
The fact that I've never used this, is the whole reason why I'd not recommend this product. There are many other racks that are just as solid, for less money, which lack this feature. On the other hand, if someone really has a use for this feature, then this is the rack for you.

stuff2c

stuff2c's Reviews

04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Price: $575.00
Pros: this rack will hold the weight! Well built other than the fasteners.. I've had 4 people on it w a 1/2" PLYWOOD floor.
Cons: the supplied fasteners rust pretty quick. the legs for the rack to convert to a canopy wont extend easily if at all. PITA but i didn't buy it for that.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall I would purchase it again but use stainless hardware to put it together.

jaketheswimmer
jaketheswimmer's Reviews
03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Price: $689.00
Pros: flips 180 degrees
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i made some brakets for lights and put a light bar on it looks great works great hold all my camping gear on it

knightsog
knightsog's Reviews

06-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Price: $800.00
Pros: Sturdy, holds stuff. A better, more convenient design than othe products out there in the same price range.
Cons: Cheap fasteners that rusted in the first rain. Extending the support legs, even with lubrication is an act of futility, even when new. Round rails on floor is just plain stupid. Inquiries from manufacturer are never answered. Instructions are confusing and photos are marginal at best. Extra fasteners that don't appear to fit anything in the kit.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased this product in 2006 and was initially pleased with it; until I opened the containers the thing had to be re-shipped in so that I could get it at my overseas military address. Make sure you have a large area to lay out all of the parts. It took two of us a little over six hours to complete the installation, about 90 minutes were lost trying to interpret the instructions. Never got the right rear mounting bolted in because I couldn't get the charcoal canister out! Being a technical kind of guy who's worked on radars, Harleys and MGs I can tell you I've seen much better techical writing.
Had to sand the powder coating off of the interior telescoping legs to get them to slide. Lubed with WD40 as directed and still didn't slide well. After three years one of them is frozen so the folding back for a shade is useless.
The floor is made of round tubing which makes no real sense to me because the actual support area is much less than with square tubing. I solved that problem by installing mini-chicken wire over the tubing with tye-wraps which seems to work fairly well.
Olympic scrimped on quality materials to keep this rack competitively priced and profitable. I know they're smart guys but putting non-stainless fasteners where cosmetically challenging ("ya might wanna paint these before you install them" was the recommendation) is not nice.
When the instructions say to seal the rails with RTV, seal the rails with RTV! I didn't and got rust stains all over the soft top that were a bear to remove.
On the up side, designing a useable, workable safari rack for a convertible is no easy deal and these guys did a good job. It holds stuff, but the stuff slips and slides around if not REALLY secured. One person can remove and install the rack with patience. Always carry a small aluminum fold ladder for safe access as the rack is as wide as the jeep so ya have to lean back to pull stuff out when standing on the tub.
If you're a top-down guy like me I recommend the bikini/windjammer/tonneau combination for those days when the mood strikes. Having to fold the Dave's Rack back everytime you want to put the top up is a royal pain! Don't even think about doing it in a parking garage when the sky suddenly opens up. I fold my bikini top back and bungee it to the speaker rail which is much easier to install when the weather changes.
I lost my hold-down knobs and wrote to Olympic 4x4 on at least five occasions requesting either replacements or information on replacing them. They never responded to ANY of my emails. 1/4" fasteners in Japan are very hard to come by but I was able to find some and some knobs to fit the bolt heads for less then $4.
I haven't figured out what to put on the inverted rack to make shade with. I tried a blue plastic sheet but that didn't work. I found ya pretty much have custom-design one to fit your individual needs. After two hours of experimentation I gave up. One leg won't extend anyhow! I have serious doubts that it will keep the rain off of you, but it's a selling point.
All in all this is a good rack. I'd recommend it but only because there's none out there that does what this does. I think, though, that it was designed in a tavern over beers and stacks of napkins. ("Dude! If we put some legs on this thing we can make a shelter!" "Will it work?" "Who cares?")
The quality could be much better for a small price increase. Square floor rails, stainless fasteners where they count, reinforcement at the frame edges. An instruction booklet with quality, detailed, high-resolution color photographs in PDF format.
Make sure you a good net to keep things in place and a "box 'o bungees" from your warehouse store. The sides could be an inch taller.
Without sounding too negative, I've been looking at different mountaineering rack designs because I carry a lot of band gear in my TJ and Olympic looks like they have the best at a reasonable price when compared to price vs. size. Enjoy.

Gary

06chaos
06chaos's Reviews

07-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Olympic Dave's Rack
Price: $550.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: the rack was fairly easy to install except for the piece that connects behind the tailights, it didnt match up so i chopped it off. it didnt mess with the integrity of the rack. great product

vegas TJ driver

Red Jeep Club Member #462
vegas TJ driver's Reviews

05-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Olympic Dave's Rack
Price: $630.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Put this on in an afternoon. It attaches very securely to frame and windshield hinge. Pictures in instructions were not very clear. They explain what to do pretty well though. I did replace the pins for the rear pivot point with a couple hitch pins from a local hardware store.