Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > KargoMaster Congo Cage

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

KargoMaster Congo Cage Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

KargoMaster Congo Cage

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $295.36
Manufacturer: KargoMaster
Recommended?
Yes: 11 / No: 1

Wrangler owners with a load to carry, rejoice! Finally a reasonably priced Jeep rack that is strong enough to get the job done. The Congo Cage provides a rock solid foundation for Kargo Master Safari Racks, Jeep Rack Utility Crossbars, Yakima and Thule bars, and a host of other cargo management devices. The perfect Jeep roof rack to carry canoes, kayaks, surfboards, snowboards, and other tools of the trade.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

DoughBro

Tonka Tuff
DoughBro's Reviews
03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Price: $130.00
Pros: got it used stout looks cool nice for hauling oversized stuff
Cons: pain to take the top off
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I would only it if you can get it cheap. I bought it off craigslist on a whimp and I don't entirely regret it but I wish I would've paid less. I got it off a rolled jeep...yes the jeep rolled on this cage. cage was structurally fine and after some surface rust was taken off and repainted it fit pretty well. Probably would have fit better if it hadn't have been rolled but that's not its fault. The PO sealed all the tubes to prevent rust which is good but now it's probably going to be impossible to take the top off this spring.

jlewis255
jlewis255's Reviews
01-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Price: $350.00
Pros: extremely well built
Cons: n/a
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've carried many loads of lumber with this rack. Heavy stuff too. 6"x6"x12', 2"x12"x12'. Also carried 2x4x1/4 steel.....

PatrickPD
PatrickPD's Reviews
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: sturdy
Cons: noisy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It is a great rack at a very low price.

Tree08JK
Tree08JK's Reviews
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Very sturdy frame for carrying anything on top when you have a soft top
Cons: Unclear installation directions and diagrams
Recommended? Yes

Comments: As of writing this review, I've only had the Congo Cage on there for a short time but I definitely believe that it can support up to 500 lbs of weight. The frame is very sturdy and well built and has the options for crossbars, a Safari Rack, or other accessories. Putting it together would have been made easier if the directions had better diagrams and clearer instructions. Some of the pieces only fit one way but you don't discover that until something doesn't fit.

It's helpful to loosen or remove the rear bumper bolts (at least on a 2008 JK 2dr) in order to thread the rear support platforms. The instructions don't mention this at all but a search of installation tips revealed it. Also, use lubricant for putting in the rubber caps on the rear support legs.

malfungton
malfungton's Reviews
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Pros: very strong and durable, practically rust proof... installation easy
Cons: must buy crossbars and basket separately... without either of these products pretty much useless... VERY slow delivery
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought this on May 3 received on Aug 11... called the company numerous times, only to be told it will be shipped soon... so plan far ahead if you need it for vacation or something... design is good, very strong and surprisingly solid, not much rattling... I only use it when i need it... goes on easy and fast, comes off the same way... can give a good bit of wind noise though, depending on what you are carrying and wind direction...

coalguy
coalguy's Reviews
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Price: $279.00
Pros: stout
Cons: Instructions not clear.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love that I can put Yakima bars so that I can put my bike rack on top and also attach my Thule basket that I already had for my wife's pathfinder. Use lots of silicon to seal up joints, also used sealing washers instead of the o rings on the top of bars to seal bolt holes.

mylogylo
mylogylo's Reviews

02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Price: $290.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Awesome. Like the way it looks, feels secure, and I can carry a house now

Heinous
Heinous's Reviews

06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Price: $400.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Tricky installation. Definitely get a buddy to help. This rack is very handy, but very noisy with a soft top or bikini top. Great for surfboards.

Turbonium72
Turbonium72's Reviews

05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: In my opinion this rack is the best solution to space issues for wrangler owners. I use mine primarily for snowboards and skis in the winter months. I'm going to be adding 2 bike racks (1 on each side of the basket) for the summer months and my mountain bikes. It holds up to 500lbs of cargo but careful as that will severely alter your center of gravity. Can't say enough about the rack Love it and would buy it again.

odrat75
odrat75's Reviews

04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great rack and cage!

cj847
cj847's Reviews

04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Recommended? No

Comments: Actually, I installed an Olympic Dave's rack. It's OK but nothing special. I don't like the way any of the overhead racks mount. The down tubes have save me some body damage. Racks are so expensive I would not recommend it unless you would use it all the time.

jlawson382
jlawson382's Reviews

04-10-2008, 11:17 PM
KargoMaster Congo Cage
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I can swing from this thing if need be - it's pretty solid. The front tubes don't line up with the mounting brackets on the windshield hinge all that well, but that may be user error. It's been a good base on which to carry my kayak.