Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > Kargo Master Kargo Master 52" x 60" Bushman Steel Rack

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator

Kargo Master Kargo Master 52" x 60" Bushman Steel Rack Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

Kargo Master Kargo Master 52" x 60" Bushman Steel Rack

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $285.33
Manufacturer: Kargo Master
Recommended?
Yes: 13 / No: 1

The Kargo Master Bushman rack gives you the rugged strength of all-steel construction. It features one inch diameter round tube side rails, formed ‘air foil’ cross beams and stainless fasteners. Flooring is one inch square tubing, and mounting hardware bolts directly to the factory rack rails or rain gutters. Accepts Yakima, Thule and most other accessory mounts. Check the facts, compare the quality. You’ll see that the Bushman is the best rack and the best deal! If you would like to use your Jeep rack with the hard or soft top on or off, you must purchase and install a Kargo Master "Congo Cage".

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Burlbook48

Burlbook48's Reviews

12-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Price: $295.00
Pros: Strong, good looking, easy to assemble
Cons: Hardware not complete, (missing four lockwashers), needs more sealant for swaged joints than is provided in kit
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It was easy to assemble the Safari Basket, but mounting it to Kargo Master's Congo Cage is a bit of a PITA since the mounting brackets for the Basket need to be in an exact spot while tightening them for a proper fit. However, the Cage itself blocks access to those bolts while the Basket is sitting on the Cage. Taping the brackets in place and having a helper lift one edge of the Basket while I tightened those bolts helped a lot. Also, the Allen head bolts that mount the basket to the cage required lifting the Cage in order for the Allen wrench to clear my YJ's hardtop. Plated hex bolts would have been a better choice, and I will substitute these for the Allen head bolts the next time I tilt the Cage back.

The little plated "KM" logo end caps for the crossbars were poorly riveted on and rattled quite a bit. I'll drill out the rivets later and use screws for a tighter fit. Other than that, the Basket seems well made, and the parts of the frame and "floor" fit together perfectly. The black finish is flawless, and the Basket looks right at home on top of my YJ.

The basket adds about 50 lbs to the top of my jeep, and when mounted on top of the Cargo Cage I can feel the difference going around corners. Adjusting my driving with the basket's full rated load of 500 pounds on top of my jeep would be a good idea. That said, I have no doubt the Safari Basket and Congo Cage can easily handle the load, both are very solidly built. I was able to pivot the Congo Cage and Safari Basket all the way back to the ground by myself. While flipping the Cage and Basket over the jeep and back to the front position again was bit harder, I was still able to do so by myself. This is a testament to Kargo Master's design for a truly versatile rack system, where the customer has the ability to tailor the individual rack components used for whatever his cargo needs are, using only a wrench and a couple minutes time.

The Safari Basket is wide enough to fit two kayaks at the same time, without being so wide that it will stick out past the sides of the jeep. The Basket's frame provides plenty of places to tie down a wide variety of cargo, from spare tires to jerry cans and duffle bags. I can see that I will get a lot of use out of the Congo Cage and Safari Basket in the years to come. Thanks, Kargo Master!

Tree08JK
Tree08JK's Reviews
09-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Price: $290.00
Pros: Easy assembly and installation, very sturdy
Cons: Louder noises at higher speeds
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I went for the smaller size of 42" x 50" though the only one listed was the 52" x 60" here. The assembly was a breeze and fairly clear, not really any issues understanding what needed to be done. Putting it up on the Congo Cage was pretty easy as well. Keep in mind you need to have some adapter brackets to mount the rack to the cage but those aren't too expensive.

My only issue with it is the extra noise it creates depending on what you have up there. With it empty and at 50mph or faster, the noise can be enough that people may want ear plugs. I want to think this is due to having a soft top on.

potatorider

potatorider's Reviews

05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Price: $329.00
Pros: strong construction
Cons: zinc hardware
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I would consider a five star rating if not for the zinc hardware included in the kit. The nuts and bolts provided were also not complete to what the build sheet called for. Kargo Master provides free replacements to fill what may be missing from your kit... but they have to be shipped and who wants to wait for that? I simply replaced all the zinc with stainless steel from a local supplier. Cost about $5 to get what I needed. Much happier with the appearance and quality now. I'm also going to powder coat the end caps. They have a "KM" logo and are well made... but are in that God-awful zinc too.

I used this basket with the Congo Cage, and my TJ is lifted (see profile specs) My total height with basket is 7'4". I chose to use "thumb screws" with my mounting hardware. This allows the Safari Basket to be removed in a matter of minutes, as apposed to wrenching on the eight bolts. I can now, if necessary, pull into my 7' garage door to do maintenance without much headache. The mounting brackets ARE NOT INCLUDED in either the Safari basket or Congo Cage kits. I used these Mounting Brackets by Kargo Master and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1 These smaller ones Brackets to Mount Yakima Bars to Safari Racks by Kargo Master and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1 are for mounting Yakima bars to the basket. Don't get the wrong ones!

The 60" version of the rack is nearly perfect side to side on the TJ. It allows around 6" of sliding adjustment front and rear on the Congo Cage to adapt to your cargo setup (or playing with the wind noise). I just centered mine front and rear... works great. If you have the cash get the 60", you wont regret it.

Every effort to silence the basket above 55mph has been in vane... except the volume button on my stereo. Turn it up and be happy!

If installed correctly I think this is the most rugged commercial basket available. If you want something more stout you're going to have to fabricate it yourself. I would recommend the basket despite the MPG hit (only 1 or 2 per gal) and the noise at freeway speeds (not a bother around town) to anyone who needs the space. Ha, probably all of us!

aaronscalf1
aaronscalf1's Reviews
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Price: $75.00
Pros: solid as a rock
Cons: periodically have to tighten the bolts. This is to be expected though.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's good rack especially for the price off a buddy of mine.

Nicho

Nicho's Reviews
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Price: $310.00
Pros: VERY Sturdy
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great rack, tons of gear space and weight capacity especially for long overland trips or even short excursion trips.

grymsr

Vintage Member
grymsr's Reviews

07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: very strong, paint is very good, looks nice
Cons: kinda noisy, squeaks a little
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got the rack as a combo deal with the Congo cage, thus the price. The rack is actually nicer that the cage. The fit of the parts and the assembly was super smooth. I get rusty splashes from the cage, but have not seen a drop from the rack. Despite the tons of stuff I have carried in the rack over the past three years, the paint has held up excellently. As with all roof racks, this one makes a good deal of wind noise, and lately it does squeak a little, but it is still a great rack.

ElConq
ElConq's Reviews

03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

Peej03
Peej03's Reviews

02-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Price: $400.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: GREAT RACK! only problem is you have to tighten in now and again cause it rattles

Cherokeegrrl
Cherokeegrrl's Reviews

01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Looks great, very strong and mounts easily ... with 2 people. Gives my XJ that "butch" look.

mikekelly77
mikekelly77's Reviews

12-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Price: $150.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great rack with plenty of room. Heavyweight metal will take a hit and not dent. Great attachments for mounting lights/jack.

geaganj
geaganj's Reviews

12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Price: $125.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love it! Bought it off eBay for a steal, couldn't pass it up. Eventually will hold (4) driving/fog lights.

Turbonium72
Turbonium72's Reviews

03-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Pros: built to last, new finish doesn't rust
Cons: wind noise,
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love the set up with the congo cage and the basket. I use it mostly for carrying snowboards and gear to slopes. But have put a lacrosse goal on it and works great all around. I am planning on creating a air foil to help with some of the wind noise on the soft top and perhaps integrate some aux lights up top. Would recommend to anyone looking to get some more cargo room.

dbell54
dbell54's Reviews

01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Pros: Sturdy, big enough to carry 2 kayaks
Cons: Unnecessarily tall, wind noise is horrific
Recommended? No

Comments: The wind noise starts at 40 mph and at 60 you and your passenger have to shout at each other even with the top up. It's way taller than the Wilderness rack; if I could do it over I would spend the extra bucks for that one.

Ichabod1960

Have Jeep, Will Travel
Ichabod1960's Reviews

01-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: A well made Roof Rack
Cons: It's heavy.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this to add to the cargo carrying ability of my LJ. The rack is easily assembled and I used blue locktite to keep the various bolts from backing out from road vibrations. The rack attaches to my Congo Cage with brackets that have to be purchased separately.

Have a friend help you put it on your Jeep, it's heavy and awkward.

Update 1/16/07.

I've been driving cross country for the past several days and this rack really does need some kind of wind deflector. Other than that, I'm happy with it so far.