Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > Garvin Wilderness Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Garvin Wilderness Rack Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

Garvin Wilderness Rack

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $960.00
Average Price: $604.66
Manufacturer: Garvin
Recommended?
Yes: 18 / No: 1

Jeep® Off Road Series Expedition Racks are available for CJ-7®, Wranglers®, Unlimited: Soft Top and Hard Top. Now you can haul more gear and still offer the convenience of easily lowering or raising the soft top.

The Expedition Rack, from Garvin Industries, has a specially engineered tilting feature*, enabling one (two people on JK and Unlimited models) person to raise the unloaded Rack for lowering or raising the soft top.

The Rack is constructed from 3/4” square steel tubing. Support brackets are made from heavy duty 1” square steel tubing.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

medic246033
medic246033's Reviews
12-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: It looks great!! Once it's mounted, it's on solid! Fast shipping, and easy to deal with customer service through Rocky Road Outfitters.
Cons: A nightmare to mount.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A very nice safari rack for the WJ. Very customizable with a lot of different attachments available and not overly expensive. I got the wilderness rack with 4 front off road light mounts, a hilift jack mount, a spare tire mount, and rear light mounts for about a grand. They also have Jerry can mounts, and shovel/ax mounts as well as cross bar mounts so you can still use a Thule or Yakima rack system for bikes, kyacks, boards, etc.

Buster

Buster's Reviews

05-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Price: $950.00
Pros: Sturdy, generally easy install, extra cargo room
Cons: Rusts very easily, may have warped rear body panels
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this rack for my '09 JK 2dr in order to haul more gear on my cross country trip to my new duty station. Utility-wise it does everything you can ask of it, as it is a sturdy rack, although I did notice some warping of my JK's sheet metal toward the rear of the vehicle, where the rack attached to the body. I don't know what's to blame here; the rack or the JK's thin sheet metal. I've always wanted a rack on my jeep for utility and because I think they look rather cool, but, within the two years I owned the rack I never found I actually ever really needed that much more space, take out the rear seat and it seems to give you aplenty.

Once the novelty of its cool appearance wore off the rack's downsides became more apparent; spontaneous "drop the top" times were over unless you had another person and some tools with you, highway wind noise rivaled that of my old YJ's beaten canvas top, and the thing rusts like wild. Over the 2 year period that I owned this rack, 98% of it was in the moisture-less region of southern Arizona, yet the rack had no problem showing significant surface rust, I've had better experience with rattle can jobs, inexcusable if you ask me.

Overall I feel this was possibly the doofiest purchase I've made for any of my jeeps. For me at least, the functionality of it never really justified itself and all the downsides it brought is what it comes down to. I sorely missed being able to just put the top down in a pinch and enjoy the nice weather, and that's a huge part of the benefits of a jeep. Sold the jeep, so it's out of my hair now, but if you're looking for a rack I'd definitely recommend something else, something less permanent, like a hard top only rack, or one that attached to the roll bar for short trips, because short trips are really the only use I got out of this rack.

Nealadouglas
Nealadouglas's Reviews
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Actually Body Armor. ..Not listed...easy install. ..Heavy duty...great for two 11.5 foot kayaks
Cons: Rear frame mount holes do not line up with same brand rear bumper mount holes...had to hog them out
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a heavy duty rack, looks and functions superbly, Body Armor design engineers need to align rear frame mount holes with those of their own rear bumpers.

Tdog02
Tdog02's Reviews

01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: storage
Cons: a little extra wind noise
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This came with my jeep but wasn't on it at time of purchase. (the used car lot said it took away from the look of the jeep) I finally put it on and I am surprised by the look and functionality of the product. I originally thought about selling and now... i don't know. I really like it and it fits in the garage with it on. This thing is stout! You will need an extra pair of hands putting it on cause it is not a light weight basket. If you need a rack, this one really delivers.

BobA
BobA's Reviews

10-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: Tons of storage capacity
Cons: rust issues
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far my rack has been great for hauling camping gear and a big rooftop carrier. As the other reviews have stated there is a rust problem. The first month there were rust trails down my windshield after a rain. this went away after awhile. Also when offroading the rack will flex as well. I went to remove my doors and the windshield mounts had moved around enough to prevent me from lifting my doors off,Have to loosen everything up and reposition it to fix. Overall I'm happy with it.

jpiazz01
jpiazz01's Reviews
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Price: $799.00
Pros: looks great, easy install
Cons: not sealed well, rusts easily, paint on rack is not great at all
Recommended? Yes

Comments: would be better if the rack system utilized cotter pins instead of nuts & bolts in front mount and hinge mount to allow easier removal of hard top. interior rust found 2 years after with mild use, Paint doesn't hold up well. Suggest getting it rhino lined/herculined/linexed etc as soon as you get it to seal system and prevent rust. would only recommend if you add a poly-liner instantly

duanewhatley

duanewhatley's Reviews
06-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: style, ease of use, durability
Cons: cant think of one
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought this used off craigslist, for 200. Replaced all the nuts and bolts etc. This rack is awesome, it looks cool, is easy to use and holds a ton of stuff!!

Toaste
Toaste's Reviews
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: Carries a ton!! Easy to tilt to allow hard top removal
Cons: Rusting a bit
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I like the look and cargo space gain for week long trips

bob6987
bob6987's Reviews
06-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Price: $500.00
Pros: holds everyting i want it to
Cons: pricy accessories
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought the racj used with a tire rack and hi-lift mount....both were missing parts.. I finished the hi-lift mount with the purchase of soome 2"wird 3/16" steel and some bolts.. added 2 shovel/axe mounts.

Jeep_bones
Jeep_bones's Reviews

04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Decent product PO put a expanded steel floor in it which really helps. Needs more gutter mounts though.

omgyesihavethos
omgyesihavethos's Reviews

02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $800.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love the rack. Looks great and is functional. Can put surfboard and coolers up there with no prob or worries. Plus, offroad lights look great up there

orngechevy
orngechevy's Reviews

01-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $960.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Rack is solid and well mounted to the Jeep have not put anything in it yet

MackMcMillan
MackMcMillan's Reviews

09-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good product with a few flaws - coating not sealed in to prevent rusting from inside out. If garage kept, no worries, if outside as most Jeeps are, better off media blasting and repainting or powder-coating.

Saulo85
Saulo85's Reviews

08-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $499.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Best one i ever had, wouldn't change it for anything, i recommend it to everyone

RubiCrawler_LJ
RubiCrawler_LJ's Reviews

08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $724.95
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Expect some major wind noise after installing the rack. The pivoting feature is nice but you definitely need a buddy to help out.

li'l jeep

Always a Pirate
li'l jeep's Reviews

06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great strong durable rack. Got an Avalanche one from a friend, gives me 4 more inches of width, Doesn;t look funny either. Plenty of accessories available and fairly easy to install. Sweet combinations available lets you pick what you need or be creative.

lucy4227
lucy4227's Reviews

05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $750.00
Pros: VERY well built
Cons: you gotta get over the phobia of drilling holes
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is really an excellent piece of equipment to have, especially if you need extra storage space. Removing my soft top it fairly easy i can have me soft top down in less than ten minutes with this thing. IMO it paid for itself the first time that I used it. I had to move a love seat so i put it on top and ties it down, it seemed like it wasn't even there. The load rating for it is like 300 or so pounds as long as it is evenly distributed. Also a plus is that there is a whole mess of accessories that you can get for it like a shovel/ax mount, a pull pal mount ect. I would recommend this to anyone.

TJVach

TJVach's Reviews

04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $599.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very high quality product. It gives me a perfect place for CB Radio Antenna, Hi-Lift, and a bunch of other odds and ends! It has a good powder coat finish. It is starting to show a little bit of rust, but that is after 2.5 years in RI.

Dragon158
Dragon158's Reviews

04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Price: $300.00
Pros: Relative easy install, price
Cons: None at this point
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This rack lists for $700.00. I was fortunate to find it here on the site for less then half price. I modified it slightly to avoid drilling holes through my tub. I use the rack in the winters for hauling snowboards and in the summer when I go on vacation with the family. I can fit everything I need to the roof and still drop the top. With out this rack I would be forced to take my wife car to the beach...