Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Roof Racks & Cargo Areas > Body Armor - Body Armor Roof Rack

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Body Armor - Body Armor Roof Rack Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roof Racks & Cargo Areas Next Product

Body Armor - Body Armor Roof Rack

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $500.00
Average Price: $312.50
Manufacturer: Body Armor
Recommended?
Yes: 4 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.bodyarmor4x4.com

Hmmm...looks good online. Not too pricey comparatively.

Took longer than promised to arrive. Retailer delayed shipment. Not the manufacturer's fault.

Arrived very well packaged with each peice wrapped very well. Two packages for the complete set without the optional cargo basket. Everything is heavy tubular steel with a thick powdercoat covering. Good quality.

Instructions appear pretty clear so far.

No place online did I read that you can not use this thing with the stock rear bumper. I'm looking again to see if I missed it. It looks like I am going to have to find a way to modify the existing bumper extensively, do without a rear bumper, or get an aftermarket bumper that is compatible. I really think this should have come up before I started installing it. More to follow on this matter...

Later addition...

Taking off the stock bumper is simple enough. Six bolts total. The stock bumper has to go in order to use this rack. The rack uses the same bolt holes on the frame and the stock bumper has a metal bracket that is completely incompatible with the rack. They have to occupy the same space at one. Can't work. So, I put the stock bumper aside.

The rack went together ok. The only real issue with the instructions was that they told you how to differentiate the left side tube from the right and the way they told you applied equally to each tube. Appears to be irrelevant as they were interchageable as far as I could tell. The rack made some squeaks and creaks on the first road trip. I tightened the hardware afterwards and it has been quiet since. In the end, I don't think the instructions were really necessary. It's pretty clear how things go together, but they were nice to have anyhow.

The wife decided she could not live without a rear bumper, so she ordered the Body Armor bumper shown being used with the rack. I'll review that seperately.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

traveler57

traveler57's Reviews

03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Strong, well built
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A well built rack that is strong and solid. Install was not hard, but it did need a bit of work for lining up some of the mounting holes. but no big deal. does not rattle at all. Holds canoe and 2 kayaks with no problem.
The Stock JK rear bumper CAN work with this rack. just have to do some cutting into the plastic stock rear bumper, and run the bracket through the bumper. Easy to do, just follow the build threads that you can search for. Very happy with this rack and it is 1/3 to 1/4th the price of the "nicer" racks.
Key for me was that you can remove the hard top in 10 minutes, without moving the rack. plus, this is one rack that let's you lower and raise your soft tops.

HKguy
HKguy's Reviews
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Goes together fairly well
Cons: Could fit tighter in places
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Picked mine up on CL for $500 for both rack and mounting rails. Rack is nice and light but holds plenty of weight up. Textured coating seems to be ok for light abuse, but if you rub it hard its coming off. Rear mounting points may interfere other bumpers. The crossbar on the front comes pretty close to the window frame up top. The light mounts are great but could be built a little heavier.

Yellow02
Yellow02's Reviews

09-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Lots of storage space, looks really good, very sturdy.
Cons: Top heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought my TJ Rubicon with this rack on it and fell in love. I have the cage and the basket and it makes the jeep very top heavy and you can feel it when you are going on turns. It is great for camping or even going on a road trip. Has 4 tabs to install light on the front and 2 tabs for lights on the back. The basket can be easily removed by one person, it takes 6 bolts to remove it. You have to remove the basket in order to remove the tops. I would highly recommend getting this roof rack, but i dont know how much it costs so that will be up to you to decide if you want it or not.

BustedKnuckle32
BustedKnuckle32's Reviews

09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Price: $449.00
Pros: Taking off Soft Top; separate from cargo basket so you can purchase in stages as your wallet allows. You can throw a $32 piece of plywood up on top in the mean time.
Cons: Doesn't work with rear bumper
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Purchased this Body Armor Roof Rack system at the beginning of the summer. Bought over the others for being able to take the soft top up and down with no modification to the Rack system its self. I live in Colorado so the threat of rain/hail/snow at any time is always there and I wanted an option to put up the top in a moments notice.

Regarding installation it is pretty straight forward. Only real problems is removing the bolts from around the windshield. I have a 2000 TJ Jeep so they were completely rusted, along with the rear bumper bolts so have that liquid wrench ready. Also having an extra set of hands around will make attaching the pipes way easier than the old method of trying and cussing, having a beer , repeat, repeat. As mentioned earlier in the con's section you cannot put the rear bumper back on with this mod. Small price to pay to have the option of moving all your better half's shoes in one move, when moving to a new apartment/house.

I installed light after putting on the roof racks which was surprisingly easy once it was in stalled. You can just remove one section at a time and run the wiring with a coat hanger. As for the system after all is in place no real problems other than squeaking which I'm guessing is normal. It also comes with a nice coating to protect from rusting, but I went ahead and covered the top bars with Herculiner to be safe since I'm using a piece of plywood as a roof rack until I get around to buying the cargo basket.

All in all a great product that I would recommend to someone else with a soft top and looking for the option of being able to put up the top with no hassle.