Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Exterior Accessories > Lange Originals Hoist-a-Top

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Lange Originals Hoist-a-Top Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Exterior Accessories Next Product

Lange Originals Hoist-a-Top

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $159.99
Average Price: $171.25
Manufacturer: Lange
Recommended?
Yes: 4 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_01_07.htm

This hardtop hoist is the one. Easy one person operation makes the job"child's play". Rugged construction and a powerful safety-featured lifting device are included. Your top will not require any modifications to use this hoist. Works with CJ7, Wrangler factory or Sierra hardtops. Rubber coated hooks and foam covered hardware protect your valuable hardtops finish. The high-tensile steel cable design should not be confused with cheaper rope and pulley hardtop hoists sold elsewhere.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

VegasMatt

VegasMatt's Reviews

04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Makes removing the top much easier, especially if your wife/gf is too small to be much help
Cons: Helpful to have someone steady the top wile on the hoist as it will swing around. Not a big deal though
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I recruited my gf to help me lift the top off of my Jeep and nearly pinched my finger off in the process. The next day I bought this hoist. This product makes it much easier to do single handedly, or if you have someone to steady the top as you crank it is a total breeze. Hardest part of the install is using a stud finder to locate a joist. Other than that, drill two holes, rig it up and you're done. Took me maybe 30 minutes.

Oh i bought the manual version btw. Might upgrade to the electric someday but this version is really easy. Highly recommended

ekpowell
ekpowell's Reviews
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Price: $215.00
Pros: Great product to get the hardtop off when your wife is too small to help
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: When you don't have any help to get the hardtop off this is a great product that does the job nicely.

grymsr

Vintage Member
grymsr's Reviews

07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Price: $160.00
Pros: looks better than a cobbled together collection of stuff
Cons: rather pricy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The price of the hoist-a-top put me off and I was going to design and build my own version, but then my wife and mother got me the Lange model for my birthday. (Bless them.) First thing I must say is the components are well worth the price. The neat little come-along that came along with it was probably $40 by itself. The rest of the thing was well finished and easy as heck to assemble. It also works like a charm. The balance is easy to set so my top doesn't sway and swing about in the breeze. I would say if you have the bucks to spare, or some loving family members with bucks to spare , it is worth the price.

Update: home built gantry and top holder. Redneck, but it works and cost nearly nothing

grogie

M-F: Cell Block #4533
grogie's Reviews

07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Price: $159.99
Pros: Can remove your hardtop by yourself! Quick to remove and replace hardtop. Hand crank is easy to raise hardtop.
Cons: Instructions are limited about setup and placement, will take a few attempts to get it right. Takes some figuring out how to use the hand crank to lower the hardtop, but it works fine once you do.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I needed an option to remove my hardtop by myself, so for Christmas I received the manual Lange hardtop lift from Quadratec and it works very well. It includes a hand crank (on the right side of the second photo below) to raise the hardtop. Lowering the hardtop is a little slower and the crank with the weight of the hardtop on it takes some figuring to get it to lower, but it works fine as I can push the hardtop around as I don't always park perfectly centered under the hardtop.
As far as the install, it took me several attempts to get the ceiling and back wall eyebolts in just the right places. Instructions were limited. You will want to put the wall eyebolt in as far up as is comfortable for you to use the hand crank. You also do need to be able to back your Jeep up to a back wall in your garage so in my case I had to clear the area, and of course have solid beams to drill the eyebolts into.
I also had to adjust the eyebolt that connects to the frame four times to get the hardtop perfectly level when it hangs. It was easy to do, but just required that I reposition the eyebolt by sliding it further towards the rear of the hardtop where all the weight is. The first time, I had the frame's eyebolt way too forward so that the hardtop was not at all level, which over that day it bent the eyebolt, so Lange immediately sent me a replacement eyebolt at no charge.
Lange does suggest that you do not use this for long term storage (I am sure for liability), however if the eyebolts are properly drilled into beams in the ceiling and back wall, it seems very sturdy. However since my wife parks under the hardtop, I did put some additional straps on for added security and peace of mind.

Note: Center eyebolt in ceiling is 68" from the back wall. Eyebolt in back wall is 81" from floor (for a 9 ft. garage).

Update Jan. 2012: Since I finally bought a soft top, for the summer of 2011 I kept the hardtop hanging for at least six months and everything was very safe. Again, very pleased with this product and how quick it is to remove the hardtop (and by yourself too!).