Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Exterior Accessories > Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Exterior Accessories Next Product

Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

Average Price: $257.58
Manufacturer: Bestop
Recommended?
Yes: 11 / No: 1

http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=28

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

ciwsman
ciwsman's Reviews
06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Looks great.
Cons: install a little difficult.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Takes the load off tailgate. Install took a little work. Drilling holes was the hardest. Need to make sure placement of holes is perfect.

Jmatrixx7
Jmatrixx7's Reviews

05-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Integrated with tail gate. Somewhat easy to install.
Cons: Nutserts/jack nuts did not work.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The product seems strong. Will have a better idea after a few months of use.
The install was not difficult but could have gone smoother. Holes I drilled did not line up accurately. I should have used the inner support brackets as a reference on the passenger side but the holes were not too far off going by the instructions. I did not have to redrill.
The nutserts/jack nuts failed. I ended up drilling two 1 inch holes on the inside of the tailgate to use a nut and oversized washer for support. I included picture for reference.

LJWrangler

LJWrangler's Reviews
11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Price: $302.00
Pros: Easy install
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Super easy install plus it retains stock brake light nice and tight to the body like the stock carrier

IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler
IH8PEPL's Reviews

10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Price: $304.00
Pros: Nice design that compliments my Mopar Bumpers - $200 cheaper than comparable products. Well packed. Good instructions.
Cons: MADE IN CHINA!!! Sucks that this is the first China crap product on my Rig. Bolts are not grade 8. Some holes were not drilled to size and needed to be enlarged. You WILL get high off the stink from the chinese rubber gasket material.
Recommended? No

Comments: Purchased this tire carrier for my 35" MTR Kevlar Spare. I was attracted to the overall design, simplicity, function and above all - cost. Aside from it being made overseas (shame on you Bestop) it seems to be well made, good welds, and nice powdercoating.

One thing I dont like is that there is no adjustability to it, like if you didnt get the holes all drilled perfectly it causes some binding. We shall see how it holds up over time...

chopperkid2000

chopperkid2000's Reviews
06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Price: $298.00
Pros: Don't have to have a bunch of money foe bumper / tire carrier.
Cons: Jamb nuts in kit suck.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installing the jam nuts was a PITA. Wish they had something a little better. It also made the lower hinge stick out from the jeep, which threw some of the demensions off for other bracketry. Installed in about 2 hours. Mine right now is sagging a little but i think it's because of the jam nut on the lower hinge as stated above the the lower corner bracket out more which in turn pulls the top down causing a sag. I may have to unbolt and see if I can somehow in the lower crnr bracket and compensate for this.

rkeough

rkeough's Reviews

01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Pros: Swings away with tail gate - don't have two pieces to manage.
Cons: Mounting point spins and collapses when putting the tire on - but simple mod remedies the issue.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Couldn't afford nearly a thousand bucks for the bumper/tire carrier combo's I wanted. Also liked that the carrier swings away with the tail gate. Install was a bit of a pain. Noticed some serious squeaking after install complete, but solved with a bit of grease in the mounting hub. Overall very pleased with this product.

05moabTJ

05moabTJ's Reviews
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Great for someone not wanting to run a rear bumper
Cons: Had to weld on a HiLift mount
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product, with the addition of a HiLIft mount i welded on its a perfect fit.

ekpowell
ekpowell's Reviews
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: I actually have the smittybilt version but basically the same. I have 34.5" tire on 16" wheel on the carrier on the tailgate and have no problems. It distributes the weight better than stock carrier and is adjustable as needed
Cons: Can scratch your wheel if not careful
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Acceptable alternative to new rear bumper with tire carrier.

Zakman

A locked & armored Sport
Zakman's Reviews
05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Price: $305.00
Pros: Swings away with OE tailgate.
Cons: PITA install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Seems better quality than OE tire carrier. Ability to swing away with tailgate. Also, leaves room to mount Hi-Lift to tire carrier.

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer's Reviews
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Price: $310.00
Pros: Affordable, sturdy
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I'm really happy with this product. The most difficult thing to do during the install was to remove the T55 bolt in my roll cage.

Everything has stayed tight, there is no squeaking, and it looks great.

I thought the directions were very thorough and they are very precise in the measurements for drilling.

This is an affordable way to carry a big tire correctly. I love it.

Winners97TJ

Go Big Or Go Home
Winners97TJ's Reviews

02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Price: $271.98
Pros: Cheaper than a full-rear bumper/swing-out carrier, Fairly easy install, Looks good, Built well.
Cons: Non so far...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed this bad boy about 3 months ago and, as of now, have yet to have any issues with it. Tailgate swings open and closes fine, No bad wobble or anything. Pretty sturdy. I might have the adjustments set a little too tight, but I would rather it be too tight than too loose (tail gate doesn't swing open or slam shut on it's own, needs a little encouragement!). This coming spring/summer to get it out on the trails and let gravity REALLY test it's durability. All in all, I have been pleased with it up to this point. In my book,...

(BTW, bought it at CarParts.com. Free shipping, but had to cover the $3.99 for surplus or some BS. They routinely have sales for percentages off!)

jmcgonig
jmcgonig's Reviews
10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Pros: Opening the tailgate is easy, 1 step.
Cons: Not easy to adjust
Recommended? Yes

Comments: kjdafl;kdsjf;klasjdflkdjasfkljdasfkl;jads;lkfjak;s ldfjk;ladsjfl;kadsjf;laksdjfklasdjf;s