Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Tops > Rampage - Trailtop Frameless Softtop

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Rampage - Trailtop Frameless Softtop Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tops Next Product

Rampage - Trailtop Frameless Softtop

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $421.99
Average Price: $388.00
Manufacturer: Rampage
Recommended?
Yes: 8 / No: 5
Company Website: http://www.rampageproducts.com

I purchased this top on Friday 07/06/2012 for my 2005 TJ Rubicon. As directed by many reviews I layed the top and windows out on the grass for approximately 1.5 hours before installing.

Much to my surprise this top installed without too much issue. The biggest issue I had was getting the tabs to secure in the door surrounds.

I live in Florida and rain is a normal thing....AND .... it poured on Sat 7/7 and the top did not leak at all.

It does take a little more to install than the stock top but I am sure that time will improve with experience.

Overall I am very impressed with the top so far. Time will tell.

If you have any questions about the top, email me and I will send you pics from whichever angle you need.

Artie

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Fernman

Fernman's Reviews

07-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Price: $310.00
Pros: Frameless, waterproof, large windows
Cons: Not Durable, HORRENDOUS warranty service
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this top from an eBay retailer (legit, not a knock-off) 3/19/2013.

It stayed on the jeep most of the time since then until May of 2014 when one of the nylon tightening straps in the rear tore in two, in the center of the strap, not even at a pivot point for the buckle.

It was nearly impossible to get anyone on the phone at Rampage, finally, I left an email with their web page (which has little information as it is) and was provided with their warranty guys email.

Pictures, my receipt, and a description were sent to promises of prompt service. Those were sent July 6, 2014. I finally received a reply on 7/15. I was told I had been set up for an expedited return and replace, and would have to put $100 down, receive a new top, and then be refunded the $100 when they received my old top, with me eating shipping. Fair enough.

Today, 07/28/2014, I have yet to have any communication, nor a top, nor even a phone call to get my credit card info. All replies (sent directly to their customer service and warranty staff) have gone unanswered.

My advice: While I enjoyed the product for the time I had it, this experience has left me furious. I'd be willing to entertain that it was a simple defect or bad batch of nylon, but the not making it right has been the worst. Spend your money on a Bestop, at least they'll answer the phone and not lie to your face.

BadJohnny
BadJohnny's Reviews

06-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Price: $425.00
Pros: Nice look
Cons: Window are bigger than the built in storage bag. The thread in the seams dries out quick and the storage space for the windows is useless for it's intended purpose.
Recommended? No

Comments: ** Had the original review from 06-02-2012 in the wrong section so moved to here **

I Held off changing my top because I couldn't decide. I came across this a really like the look and simplicity of it. When I store the sides and rear panel I slide the metal bar out of the bottom of the rear window and set it inside or just leave it in the tailgate.

** Update 7 June 2014 **

The stitching is all dry and popping and I've re-sewn the zippers twice and the rear straps stitching popped now (I'm done with repairing it - now it's a back up/tarp). The rear window always sags in the center no mater how you put it on. Header bar design leaves a lot to be desired and was a bit noisy and a pain to get right to cut down on the noise. Window storage space is useless pretty much. Was good enough in it's time, but now there are better options.

corky1071
corky1071's Reviews
05-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Price: $399.00
Pros: Brand new. Tinted rear windows. No frame. Overall look.
Cons: PITA first install. No way to roll up & secure rear window. Can't go topless as easy as factory frame.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Purchased before winter in Pacific Northwest since original top was finally starting to leak through seams pretty goods. First install was PITA, even after letting top sit in full sun for several hours ( +80F ). Fit was good, just tight which isn't a problem. Couldn't put in the "pads" above spreader bars, it was just TOO dang tight! "No Drill" header is less than to be desired, doesn't conform to windshield frame @ corners. Hence when driving at highway speeds in HEAVY rain, water finds it way in. Have had to remove top & re-position/tighten header bar more than once to address this. May end up being a constant adjustment, only time will tell. Haven't used the window bag, was too tight over factory sound bar. Road noise is similar to factory, maybe a little less. I don't have to yell anymore, just talk really loud but hey it's a soft top. After 9 months, all functions still like new, including zippers. All in all, not a bad purchase.

romanequities
romanequities's Reviews
03-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: easy setup and HD material
Cons: no place to store rear window
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great replacement for OEM soft top. less parts and the fastback look is awesome

McNasty35

McNasty35's Reviews
03-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Price: $550.00
Pros: Looks great, no frame, windows store inside the top, heavy sailcloth material, good value
Cons: rear zipper broke, hard to put on if it's not hot out
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great looking top. I had a zipper break on the rear window, but truth be told it was my fault. I wasn't installing the top the right way. Rampage customer service was great and fixed it for free no questions asked.

The top is hard to put on if it's not hot out, which is a pain, but makes for a tight fit and that's more important.

I have used this top for 3 years now and will not hesitate to buy another one when this one wears out.

SandyBottoms

SandyBottoms's Reviews
09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Price: $325.00
Pros: Easy on Easy off. Huge windows.
Cons: Had problems with the windows splitting, Rampage replaced all problems very quickly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I like this top and love the huge windows. I do with I had more room overhead though. Fitment wasnt dead on but it was cheaper than besttop. Id recommend this top as a great summer or trail top but I dont think this is a good choice for winter. Overall this top is awesome but it definitely has its drawbacks. Its a new production for this company and they will get the kinks worked out.

CaptainDCD
CaptainDCD's Reviews
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Price: $375.00
Pros: Ease of Installation, has built in storage for windows, and storage pockets above visors...greater visibility
Cons: none that I can see
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I chose this top after talking to several other Jeep owners in the area and they spoke highly of it even compared to others of its type... I very much like the look and the simplicity of it. I have had this top for about a month now, and it is a great improvement over OEM. I very much like that it has built in storage for the sides and I will not have to toss them on the back seat.. I opted for the sail cloth version...

DezDiggler

DezDiggler's Reviews

09-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Looks great. Removable sides make better than Bestop. Storage nets a big plus.
Cons: Cheap materials. Straps broke, zippers broke, stitching broke. Manufacturer would not honor warranty.
Recommended? No

Comments: I loved this top when i got it an put it on and throughout the one season I was able to use it. When winter came and it was time to put the hard top on thats when things got crappy. Now remember I only got to use this top for spring through fall.

1st issue. Zipper broke on the rear window when putting on. Was able to make due with this, but still erked.

2nd. Time to remove the top for winter season. The stitching that holds the rubber that goes under the tub libs started to rip. The threads used here must have been cheap or not all weather grade. You could see there was obvious sun bleaching of the threads and I believe that this caused them to fatigue. Only on the passenger side as that side seemed to get the most sun.

3rd. Decided to put top on the following spring. Decided to put on without windows as was going to have the windows replaced. Ok, so when putting on the strap that goes through the footmans loop broke. Obviously some cheap material. I have wratchet straps that hold my LJ hard top from my garage for years now that have never broken. This strap just came apart like it was cut with a knife.

4th. When putting the strap that holds the outer top skin to the rear of the tub, that strap broke right at the top. No chance in securing the top skin now. Top essentially useless.

All fabrics are in great shape as are the windows. Only used for maybe 5 months before stored. Tried to get Rampage to warranty the top as it was well within the 2 years they say they warranty the top for. Blown off. $400 down the drain. Should have spent the extra $300 on the Best top.

Why am i jaded? My Bestop safari top that has been through hell in back for 3 years still worked perfectly. No stitching problems and the straps are as strong as ever. Speaks volumes as far as quality!!!

nitecop
nitecop's Reviews

05-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: better price than "Other Brands" due to no frame.
Cons: initial install tough at 80F with little sun. NO instructions of ANY kind in box.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My price is the model for a LJ and header included.
This is a decent top. It uses the el cheapo header bar that MUST be bolted in place. I see NO reason that these tops can't be made to fit a oem header, Or make a aftermarket header that has OEM style latches.
It really looks like it might leak at he front corners. Time will tell.
I WILL add another review if it leaks.
wind noise is Bad with this one.
The last straps that are tied over the back of the top Need hooks that are more open on a LJ as it hooks at a different angle that that of a TJ. I actually had to Gently use a Hammer to get the hook deep enough to engage the metal lip of the tub.

Weetay1
Weetay1's Reviews
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Price: $430.00
Pros: Windows remove and store between the 2 layer safari top.
Cons: Zippers busted out during first installation and Rampage only sent Zipper pullers and didn't want to do any replacements on parts.
Recommended? No

Comments: I really wanted a quick access top and when i saw this one i was sold. when i received the top i went to install it but the zippers busted out on me. i contacted the manufacturer and sent pictures. they replied thinking it was just the zipper pullers. when i received the pullers i went back to install the top. The zippers them selves are actually missing links and it was a pain in the A** to get the top on but eventually i did. if you get this top good luck... hopefully its only an issue that i had.

wilson_usmc
wilson_usmc's Reviews
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Great aggressive look, quick bikini top
Cons: Hard to install...PULL HARD TO STRETCH (Over 75 degrees preferably)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Beautiful look for an aggressive style jeep. Any color you want as long as it is black. Perfect for those who want a soft top AND a bikini top in one. Easy to switch. First installation is tricky...USE FACTORY YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR INSTALLATION!!

WesPres
WesPres's Reviews
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Better than having no top, cheap.
Cons: Zipper for back window broke on install. Even after heating it up it didn't seem to stretch enough to actually zip. Poor fit.
Recommended? No

Comments: This product doesn't seem to fit properly. After heating it up, the rear window section still wouldn't stretch enough to zip on both sides. Th zipper actually broke while trying to install it - not very durable IMO.

Bottom line: Poor fit, not durable.

greenglazier
greenglazier's Reviews
09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Price: $430.00
Pros: great product
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: it's kind of a pain to install the first time but there are great videos available online on how to do it after that it's a great product the one i have is the sailcloth.