Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Tops > Bestop Sailcloth Replace-A-Top w/ Tinted Windows 97-02 w/o upper door skins

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Bestop Sailcloth Replace-A-Top w/ Tinted Windows 97-02 w/o upper door skins Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tops Next Product

Bestop Sailcloth Replace-A-Top w/ Tinted Windows 97-02 w/o upper door skins

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $485.00
Average Price: $496.97
Manufacturer: Bestop
Recommended?
Yes: 11 / No: 3

Sailcloth factory replacement.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Dwarvenpyro
Dwarvenpyro's Reviews
03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Price: $550.00
Pros: Looks good, quiet
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had to replace the original top. Got this one, works great. Didn't take too long to install. Founds some videos on the internet to help. A lot quieter than the original soft top I had.

bigcore08
bigcore08's Reviews

03-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Price: $560.49
Pros: Quiet, Easy to install, Looks great, and tight fitting
Cons: Only two colors, other than that none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this top for my 2006 TJ and i'm so glad I did. The top has great tint (31%). The instructions that came with the top were alright. I'm a person that learns better by watching someone doing something then doing it myself so I went to youtube and watched this great video on how to install the top the link to the video is (http://youtu.be/0Y-C9CFFDQ0). The new top is so quiet compared to my 6 year old factory top I had on before. I bought my top from 4wd.com and they gave me a great deal. Before I checked out I went to google and found great promo codes to get even better deals to lower that high prices. I would recommend this top for anybody that has a old factory top.

EricsGreen98Tj
EricsGreen98Tj's Reviews

10-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Price: $434.15
Pros: Way! Way better than the 12yr OEM top that came on my Tj!! Bought it off Jeep Top Depot and got a 15% instant discount plus FREE SHIPPING to my door and Bestop had a $50 mail in rebate. Probably 5 times quietier and warmer than regular tops. 30oz fabric instead of 15 or 18oz. Zippers actually work all the time.
Cons: Only 2 colors to choose from. I didn't buy it sooner! Its not a hard top.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I replaced the 12yr old top on my Tj within 3 weeks of having it. I have hard doors in a 98tj and it is/was very easy to take old top off and put the sailcloth on. Got one heck of a deal at Jeep Top Depot! Plus this softop uses the original frame so it comes up and goes down just like the original. when driving you dont hear 1/4 of the road noise you use too! the zippers are heavy duty and so is the stiching. This is the best softop there is! Closest thing to a hard top your gonna find in a softop! GO GET YOU ONE AND DON'T LOOK BACK

NOTE: make sure that the slide-in channels above your tailights on the back of your jeep aren't bent up like mine were. this caused a little play in the side windows causin only one side to slap against the support bars in the passenger area. took a pair of needle nose vice grips and a rubber mallet and "adjusted them" back to stock/normal location. GOT RID OF THE SLOP IN THE SIDE and now it fits EXCELLENT!!!

EDIT: I didn't put the 16 screws in the front header channel when i first installed it and have a 1/2 inch of play front to back. MABEY. Last week i took the top completely and put stainless steel screws in ALL the holes. NOW IT FITS TIGHT AS A NEW PAIR OF SPEEDOS!! I would suggest that if your jeep is more than 7 or 8 yrs old to get a new header channel ($30 at Quadratec) and NOT to reuse your original screws. Half of mine had the heads rusted off and i had to take a Dremel and a cutoff wheel and put my own "flat" screwdriver slot in them.Dont be cheap and go get yourself some stainless steel screws and a new header channel and your top will last long, be easier to take off in the future, and FIT TIGHT!!!

After having the top for 3 months i would have to give it a 9.9 outta 10.

forfor573
forfor573's Reviews

07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Price: $735.00
Pros: Looks great! Quality materials?
Cons: Expensive
Recommended? Yes

Comments: First of all I'd like to point out that anyone searching for "wrangler bestop sailcloth replace-a-top review" will see this website as one of the first search results.

With that being said, the most recent reviews scared the crap out of me, and since I bought it and it appears I'm having a more positive experience, I thought I should share.

The stock top that came with my 2001 Wrangler Sport needed replacing. I bought the jeep a few months ago and the windows were in terrible shape, zippers were rough, and the top was actually showing signs of leakage/retaining water. After fighting with the back window and actually tearing (seperating) the fabric from the top, I said f*** it and just took the leap.

I ordered the 07-02 w/ half door uppers and tint sailcloth replace-a-top system from Quadratec. I know they're relatively expensive, but I figured that was a good safeguard if I had any problems.

Also, keep in mind when reading below that I am NOT mechanically inclined at all. I write software and play outdoors a lot, but by no means am I "car-saavy".

Anyway, last Saturday I asked my girlfriend to help me tackle swapping the tops. Taking the original off was easy - maybe 10 minutes. My 2001 Sport did have 14 screws across the bow header, and one in each corner.

Next, we brought the new top outside and attempted to follow the instructions. The installation was pretty easy too, maybe 20/30 minutes. I would like to point out that only 8 holes existed on the plastic header, however since all 14 were marked (just not actually made), it was super easy to take a small drillbit and drill holes into the plastic header (only) without compromising the top material or the jeep itself in any way. (this took maybe 2 minutes, total).

After finishing the installation, I noticed a TON of play in the front-middle of the top. It was super loose and I have to admit, my stomach started dropping (thinking, oh great, here we go). I wanted to give it a chance though, so I took it on the highway (without having installed any side or back windows) just to see how much flapping existed; it wasn't bad, but I knew that couldn't be right. I also noticed the seam on the front of the top was visible above the windshield and that, also, just didn't seem right.

I went back home and inspected how the plastic liner along the header connected to the original top. After walking back over to my jeep and re-reading the instructions, I realized I installed the new top wrong.

It's a little confusing to explain, but when you're actually attaching the header to the front bow, make ABSOLUTELY SURE the plastic part of the header is facing UP. In order to do this, you have to lay the top in a way intuitively seems like the top will be upside down once you're finished, but doing it this critical, because it removes that (roughly) inch of play that made the top droop.

Now people reading this might think, "Okay moron, read the instructions", but the fact is it almost seems more natural to line the plastic header of the top with the plastic portion of the bow assembly and it's very plausable because, for one, the top is actually "functional" if you do the install wrong.

I belive this is the problem that occured with Dcomf and it sounds exactly like the comment from Sunvista, because I made the same observation. If Sunvista reads this, I would reinstall it, because I believe that the extra room will result in a shorter life of the top, in addition to the poor looser fit.

Now, with all thst being said, I merely disassembled the top (again), flipped the fabric around and then installed it "correctly". The results? The extra play (looseness) in the front middle was gone. As a matter of fact, it's as tight-fitting (if not more) than the factory sailcloth I had.

I've only had it for three days so I can't vouch for the durability of the product, and it's been too warm to put all the windows on, so I can't vouch for the quietness, but if you're thinking about a quality good looking replacement top, I WOULD recommend this one.

Update:
I went home and installed the back window and the side windows and put in the upper half doors. This experience was MOSTLY positive.

The back window should go in first so you can work the zipper from both the front and back. The zipper is really smooth because it's new, but you still want to be careful with it. The back window looks great.

The side windows are MUCH easier to put in with the top retainer plastic pieces out, and since they're easier to pull on on this top, the side windows went in super easily.

My only complaint is that the rear passenger side tinted-window doesn't fit snugly inside the plastic door frame; there's about a half inch of play in the rounded top-left corner that prevents the passenger upper half door from fitting properly when the door is closed. I don't know what I can do about this because the upper half door aligns correctly, the zipper for the back window is in correctly, and the window lining starts at the correct spots and fits properly, its just the corner. I may call Bestop and ask for advice/see if the window wasn't made correctly.

With all that being said, everything fits well.

I took it on the highway and the weak point (for wind noise) is definitly both front upper-half doors, so with full steel doors I would bet the ride overall is a LOT quieter; for me, it's at least equally as quiet as the original and it all looks great!

I hope this was helpful for somebody!

Also worth noting:
- The drip retainers are MUCH easier to put in and undo. My fingers no longer get destroyed when undoing them.
- This top is much easier to put up/down. This is the first time I've been able to do it by myself and in a short amount of time.
- The upperhalf door skins are the most difficult thing to put on. More difficult than the top itself or the side windows, but they look good when you're done.
- The box everything shipped in is rather small. I believe if they shipped everything in a larger box, they wouldn't have to "fold" the side or rear windows and there wouldn't be as much of a "wrinkled" look on them. But they still look great.
- It irritates me that on one window, the zipper is ATTACHED to the window, and on the otherside the zipper is ATTACHED to the sailclothtop itself. Why can't they both be uniform? It's a minor annoyance. This is how the OEM one was too. Whats the point?

Update:

The passenger window appears to have a manufacturing "defect". I measured it so the top of the tape measure ran perfectly against the top-edge of the back window (to ensure I was measuring a straight line) from the left-most seam to the right-most seam. Although along the base the measurements match, they do not match at the point the half door overlaps the back window.

This, of course, woudl be a problem for anyone with a full door as well. I will be contacting bestop soon and asking them if they could do something for me. I will post finishing remarks soon!

TR26
TR26's Reviews
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Quieter than stock '01 top, better zippers, nice tint
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you have the stock soft top, the install is a breeze.

duanewhatley

duanewhatley's Reviews
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Price: $475.00
Pros: is new
Cons: doesnt fit correctly, windows are wrinkled, windows flap making noise, customer service is less than helpful.
Recommended? No

Comments: What can I say? Bought new to replace my perfectly good factory top(wanted quieter and tinted windows), wish i qwould have kept the factory top. The rear window looks horrible with wrinkles all around it. The left rear window fits so loos that it slaps against the support bar.

Dcomf
Dcomf's Reviews

01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Price: $530.00
Pros: Manages to keep the rain off for now.
Cons: Poor fit and finish. Bad stitching.
Recommended? No

Comments: Installed this and immediately noticed fitting problems. Inadequate number of holes in plastic header as mentioned before. It sags between the front and middle bow immensely. I have a roof rack and it pushes up against the bottom of it when it raises up, so there may be an issue with it rubbing holes in it eventually. The left window is a poor fit and it unfastens at the bottom during driving. the whole thing was sent back and a replacement sent.

The replacement was actually a worse fit than the first. After fastening the header to the front bow the fabric "pocket" that it slides into had way too much empty space. The left window still has problems. The seams aren't sewn evenly as there are ripples even when tight. Both windows wouldn't zip correctly around the radius, it would catch two teeth in one space each time. For a $500 piece of fabric I expected more from an OEM supplier. And no, my hardware isn't bent. Caveat Emptor.

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer's Reviews
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: QUIET!, no leaking, easy to use
Cons: The headliners gets dirty very easily
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This top was on my full-door TJ when I got it and I love it. I took the side windows and back window off for the spring and summer and I did a better job of putting them back on than the previous owner and now there is NO FLOPPING OR NOISE AT ALL. The tint is perfect: not too dark, not too light. Lubricate the zippers before putting the windows back on. They zip up much more easily. I use the Bestop protectant and it works well. When you fold your top back, you will get the inside headliner of the top dirty when it folds up against the outside of the top. One person can lower the top or put it up quickly and easily. I love this top!

Sunvista
Sunvista's Reviews

09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Price: $515.00
Pros: Easy to install.
Cons: Some quality control issues
Recommended? No

Comments: Advertised as thicker and better but the sailcloth looks the same as OEM to me. My wife (primary driver) says it is actually thinner. First one arrived with two of the six snaps to rear bow did not line up. Bestop sent a replacement right away. Replace-a-top has eight screws to attach header. OEM had 14. Header seam tucks nicely at corners but protrudes at center of windshield. Bestop says go ahead and drill additional holes but getting an electric drill around any vinyl top seems a little risky to me. Can't see why Bestop would chinze out on plastic header strip and not accommodate all 14 fasteners.

BomberJeep

BomberJeep's Reviews
07-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Price: $800.00
Pros: Reduced wind noise. Quality materials
Cons: Price and difficulty cleaning
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The top is hard to clean but does a great job doing what its supposed to...keeping the outside out

TJwrangler4.0

TJwrangler4.0's Reviews
05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: very quiet and thick material
Cons: none yet, sort of hard to put up (still kinda new)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Best replace-a-top out there. Definately better than the 11 eyar old top it replaced. SOOOO quiet on the highway!

TJlady

TJlady's Reviews

02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Price: $475.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: We just got the sailcloth and we love it.

officerholbrook

officerholbrook's Reviews

10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Pros: very quiet, good fit
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is THE soft top to get for a jeep. Excellent product. I will buy another one when this one wears out. I only paid 350 shipped though... yeah I got a good deal.

djt283

djt283's Reviews

08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Price: $485.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great quality top and fit just as well as stock. New fabric is thinner and just as quiet.