Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Tops > Bestop - Bestop Supertop NX 54720-35

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Bestop - Bestop Supertop NX 54720-35 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tops Next Product

Bestop - Bestop Supertop NX 54720-35

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $719.99
Average Price: $703.64
Manufacturer: Bestop
Recommended?
Yes: 8 / No: 3
Company Website: http://Bestop.com

Supertop® NX is Bestop's factory style soft top comes with factory-style door surrounds, factory-style windshield channel, sailcloth fabric, and tinted windows. Plus, it includes a Top Arch to support the fabric, quick release bow knuckles for tool-less top removal, and a new adjustable plate to maintain top taughtness.

•Complete top with OEM style hardware
•High grade premium fabric
•High Strength steel and OEM composite plastic hardware
•Fold back sunroof feature - standard
•Multiple door kits available
•Available for TJD applications
•Two Year Warranty
The YJ Supertop NX is designed as a factory replacement top: it does not have a sunroof feature, Top Arch, quick releases knuckles, or plastic door surrounds.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Wrangler_Boy97
Wrangler_Boy97's Reviews
04-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: easy install and switching for hard top seasonally
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: excellent top, easy to switch with hard top. easily collapsible and all around great. love the tint

douglasbigland
douglasbigland's Reviews

03-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Price: $1,300.00
Pros: Solid accessory Perfect fit
Cons: The fitting time takes a lot longer than the instructions says.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought a Supertop NX from Bestop.co.uk quite a while ago when I had a Wrangler TJ 2002. I had a few options to choose these from but I read a few articles on the internet that I guess pushed me towards the NX product. Generally speaking, I didn't have any problems with it. Quite a decent product and a good Wrangler accessory. I had quite a few fitting problems, it took me like half a day to fir the damn thing at the beginning. But at the end it all worked out great.

DaPoppa
DaPoppa's Reviews

10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: None
Cons: Does not fit 97-2006 1997-2003 Maybe...2004-2006 Different specs
Recommended? No

Comments: Here is the heart of the problem. No matter how much you want to believe that these tops fit all years from 1997-2006 there are differences. (We had the Super Top NX) For the 2000-03 models it is 155.4 in (3947 mm); overall width (inches): 68.3 For the 2004-06 SWB it is 154.9 in (3934 mm) overall width (inches): 66.7. You might not think that those minor dimensional differences make a big difference, but on the later 2004-2006 it will never fit right. The changes make it impossible to get the top tight enough to be used at highway speeds. At 45 there is a huge bubble up front sucking the top up 18" and flapping loudly. The arch and the adjustable bow only makes it worse. The header will not fit either, it is wrong for the 2004-2006 Tj. The tighter you try to make it the worse it gets. We returned 3 before we gave up on Bestop. They were telling us that there was something wrong with our Jeep and to adjust the windshield....BS!!! We went to the Dealer for a Mopar top and guess what there is a different part number for 2004-2006 and for 1997-2003. We got the Mopar top made for the 2006 and it fits tight and quiet with no fuss. It turns out that yes Bestop makes the factory top, no they cannot sell it to you due to patent and copy right to Mopar. The Bestop you get aftermarket is different. They lean heavy on that factory OEM keyword, it comes very close to false and mis-leading advertising. (OEM style hardware)<---Not OEM...(High grade premium fabric)<---Not OEM.... Read the fine print. The material is stretchy and nowhere near the heavy factory top. Out of the three tops we returned not one of them was without some kind of defect cut wrong, hardware not right something. The big booger is the header does not work with all years. I hate to come down on them so hard but the time we wasted putting on and taking off three tops and dealing with their customer service, they were nice and tried, but I now sense that they knew there were hidden issues, was time I could have been on the trail with my kids. I will not be making that error again..... read the fine print

murphaderf
murphaderf's Reviews
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Light and easy to convert from closed to open to bikini
Cons: Screws up satellite radio when top is back
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Like the versatility of it. Run closed it is pretty quiet. Converting it to bikini top is simple and looks awesome.

Jbraden
Jbraden's Reviews

03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Price: $789.99
Pros: Some of the hardware looked good - strong. Color is good - spice
Cons: Fit is terrible. Rear window is stiff and wrinkled. Straps not made to snap together.
Recommended? No

Comments: Bought to replace original 10 yr old Wrangler softop. I was surprised at the sorry quality of the product. This would be the 3rd Bestop owned over the years (if I was keeping it - NOT). The material in this one is thin, but stitching looks decent. One of the snaps that connects the top to the rear bow is not the same width as the one on the other side, maybe 1/2 inch too short to snap so the strap just hangs there, useless and looking stupid. The header bar does not line up with windshield and is also shorter on one side than the other. Fit is really bad. Too tight to clamp it down or zip in windows and hook them down, even though installing in the sun and it's pretty warmed up after letting it sit in the sun a while. Takes Gorilla hands to clamp the top down and it's uneven. The side windows have a little wave but the back is rediculous. I just bought new windows for my old top last year and they look nothing like these stiff, wrinkled messes. If I were Bestop, I wouldn't put a big sticker on the back window to advertise that piece of poor quality. I'm sending it back. It's a lot of work to put together and end up taking back apart. If this is what I can expect from replacement soft tops, I guess I'll go back to the hard top and forget about it. Ruins one of the big reasons to have a Jeep though. Packing this thing up to return now. They should have to pay me for the trouble and irritation.

JeepJeepImABeep
JeepJeepImABeep's Reviews
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Pros: looks good, has held up well over the 2 years I've had it, overall a good product
Cons: not easy enough to install for my liking, product's metal piping came cut wrong from the factory (had to modify it with a saw and a drill), and some of the velcro things on the top don't reach far enough
Recommended? Yes

Comments: looks good, has held up well over the 2 years I've had it, overall a good product

not easy enough to install for my liking, product's metal piping came cut wrong from the factory (had to modify it with a saw and a drill), and some of the velcro things on the top don't reach far enough

boeingxtreme
boeingxtreme's Reviews
07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Pros: Great Top, Sun roof is nice, like how in the future when it starts to loosen up theres settings to tighten the bows, like the quick disco for removing whole top off the jeep
Cons: none, top is great to put on in summer instead of factory hard top
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great Top, Sun roof is nice, like how in the future when it starts to loosen up theres settings to tighten the bows, like the quick disco for removing whole top off the jeep

Joshtjeep
Joshtjeep's Reviews
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Low noise, easy to install, great color, easy zippers
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is one of the best looking tops while also easy to use. The zippers dont scrape off your knuckles trying to close them and takes only a few minutes to take it off.

cs1094
cs1094's Reviews

01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Pros: It is black. It has factory hardware.
Cons: Quality is poor.
Recommended? No

Comments: I ordered this top to replace a failing hardtop. I put in my order in April of 2011 and got the top at the end of June.

I will give pro's first. Some of the hardware was quality (door surrounds). The sunrider feature was not what I was expecting. While it isn't great, it isn't bad for those days you cannot fully drop the top. I like the support bar across the front cab. It does great for snow and rain buildup.

Here are some of the issues I had with the top. Overall, I am not pleased with the quality of the product. First, the material feels thinner than the oem soft top I had around from 2000. When I opened the box, several parts were not complete from the manufacturer. One bow did not have any holes drilled for assembly, so I had to put them in a clamp and drill them out. One of the snaps that connects to the rear bow is sewn too close to the next and does not reach its other side by about 3/4 inch. The header bar does not line up flush with my windshield channel. I even took it to a 4X4 shop for a second opinion. They agreed. Now the cab is louder than the old top I had from 2000 and my failing hard top. The top itself has yet to fit tight. It flaps pretty hard at 50mph in 30 degree weather. I adjusted the bows outward. All that did was put a nice series of waves in the side windows. I am realistic and know to expect noise from a soft top. This however has resulted in me yelling to my wife to carry a conversation.

Overall, I am not satisfied with my product after 6 months of use. Maybe I have a fluke product as I have seen many happy customers on JeepForum. After the frustration of installing imperfect parts and the noise on the road, I am not satisfied with the overall performance of this product. I had a choice between the bestop NX series and the rampage bowless. I think now I should have gone with the rampage.

***10 Month Update***
One of the tool-less bow connectors broke while driving around town with top up and windows out. The top is significantly looser, even on cold mornings. Change the 3 stars to 2 stars.

***10.5 Month Update***
The plastic hinge on the driver-side sunrider bow has stress cracks all through it. I noticed it today while getting out with the top still back. This premium top is quickly turning into a lemon. I have used the sunrider feature maybe 10 times and never at speeds over 45mph. I am also still waiting for my bow knuckles.