Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Consoles, Security & Storage > TUFFY TJ Stereo Security Console

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

TUFFY TJ Stereo Security Console Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Consoles, Security & Storage Next Product

TUFFY TJ Stereo Security Console

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $350.00
Average Price: $281.40
Manufacturer: TUFFY
Recommended?
Yes: 20 / No: 0

This 16-gauge steel security console has a separate lockable compartment for mounting a stereo or other electronic equipment. The rear compartment provides additional lockable storage for more valuables. The new sleek fit design and retractable stereo compartment lid matches the TJ’s refined interior and offers more interior storage than the previous model.

MOUNTING:
Mounts to factory holes, some drilling required. Airbag disable switch is re-installed in front conset. Stereo not included. If any suspension or body lift modification has been done to the vehicle which affected the height of the shift lever the lever will have to be modified by lengthening it, and/or bending it so it will clear the front of the console.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

chrisbcano
chrisbcano's Reviews
04-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Price: $373.00
Pros: Easy to install, great protection and peace of mind, looks badass
Cons: Shifter hits console, shifter boot doesn't fit
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very easy to install. This console is provides great peace of mind. Anything outside of this console they can take but everything inside is protected. Built solid and does not rattle. Plenty of room inside the console. I will have to bend the shifter so I can shift into 2nd gear but no big deal. Also the stock 5 speed shifter boot is about a 1/2in too narrow for the console cutout and I will need to find a replacement. But for the quality and protection of this console these are minor issues. I had an older Tuffy model in a past Jeep and my junkyard doors didn't lock. I woke up many mornings to find my doors wide open but nothing ever got messed with inside the console. Great product and great buy.

Maineshootah

Maineshootah's Reviews

06-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Price: $245.00
Pros: solid construction solid doors comfortable
Cons: Too low to the tub floor (see my review) Screw caps are worthless cheap plastic.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have this model for the YJ. Got the 8" Stereo version in black.
I wanted SPICE, however, they didn't have it in stock.
Install was easy, I had to drill new mounting holes in the tub as the 8" is a bit wider than the factory console.

I also added 2 2x8 boards under the security console to raise it up in the air about 5", so the padding is comfortable as an arm rest as you are driving down the road and not leaning way to the right as you drive. Tuffy could stand to make an "extension kit" to raise it up, or, just take some scrap wood, paint them up and fit them under the console to get the right height you want.

The console is very stout and strong.
Two things you need to not bother with.
1) the seat belt straps.
Great idea in theory, sucks in application. Don't bother installing them.
They hold the seat belt floor mount way to tight, so it is hard to get your hand around it to release the seat belt, and the bolts on the inside of the box will slice the heck out of your hands. Leave them off.
2) Screw caps designed to cover the seat belt strap screws. Plastic junk that break, fall off, and allow you to slice the heck out of your hands (see point #1 above).

When mounting your stereo in the stereo box, be sure to have all the wiring routed up from the bottom before your drop the new deck in the slide. It is a bit of a PITA to get it out of there once it is mounted. However, it is ROCK SOLID in the mount. I am very happy with it. The door seals well, and blocks all the light from the deck even if you have it on and the door closed.
They lock is stout as well. I have no worries about running the jeep with the bikini top and no doors as long as I remember to lock the center console.

The center compartment door is very heavy. As in, don't be dickin' around in the middle drawer while moving, as if that thing comes slamming down on a quick stop by you, you could seriously hurt your arm, or even loose a finger as it comes crashing down on you. There, you have been warned!

The center compartment is huge. You can fit a ton of stuff in it. I mean a ton. Every other jeep I own in the future will have another one of these in it.
Love it.

Nyteryder3

Nyteryder3's Reviews
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: great storage, nice design, great locking mechanism, tough
Cons: could be designed to allow for more space
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is a really great product and very easy for any of you DIY's out there. I bought the TJ Series II Rear Half Security Console. It is black in design and only needs two holes to be drilled. The locking mechanism works great and is water resistant. I would recommend this product to anyone. It is the best way to keep things safe in your jeep.

Lambo3244
Lambo3244's Reviews
01-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Price: $240.00
Pros: Usage, Lockable, Looks, Cup-Holders
Cons: Can be a pain to mount
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I actually have a the Tuffy Stereo Console (6 1/2) for a YJ. I wanted something in my Jeep to where I can lock my valuables and not have to worry. The Tuffy Security Console did just that. It looks great, the cup-holders rock, and the locking feature is a must have.

jcm1983
jcm1983's Reviews

12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Price: $460.00
Pros: solid
Cons: price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: where are yall getting the stereo/storage tuffy so cheap?!?!?!?!?!

diablo_331

diablo_331's Reviews

10-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Great way to lock up a head unit or a CB.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I couldn't see anyone breaking into this thing..the jeep would probably be stolen first

awachwhiteboy
awachwhiteboy's Reviews
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Price: $275.00
Pros: Lockable stereo, quality construction.
Cons: custom CJ install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I made this item to fit in my old CJ it was not too difficult of an install. I like it is lockable for valueables and the cd player.

garbo1954
garbo1954's Reviews

12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Price: $289.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erickpl

erickpl's Reviews

11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Price: $200.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Why do I need 75 characters to provide a review? I Just want to list em. Adding characters to shut this thing up.

sebastian22

sebastian22's Reviews

06-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Well its not really for a TJ, but that was the only category on the pull down menu.

This is the ONLY good thing the previous owner ever did for my YJ. The guy could not even find the key, so getting one made was a major PITA. Put my stereo in it, and it can fit just about anything inside. Only problem im having with it, is i got wider seats that somewhat interfere with it opening.

CopperCJ7

CopperCJ7's Reviews

05-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Price: $329.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Actually ther CJ Security Console is what I have. LOVE this company and its product line. My only complaint is that you can't order keyed alike items. You have to spend $10 per lock and two keys. So I have to spend an additional $50 on locks. Selling Tuffy locks on Ebay isn't so easy.

FireMedicZ
FireMedicZ's Reviews

04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Price: $350.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very rugged and functional. I have the stock subwoofer so the storage space is limited. I have the radio version which hold the Cobra 29 with no problems.

stangman68inftc

stangman68inftc's Reviews

04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Price: $300.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got my stereo in it, love it. Makes me sleep better at night.

cj847
cj847's Reviews

04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed the security console w/o stereo. Really like it. I rate it a "must have" if you run a soft top. Only complaint was my gear indicator (automatic) did not fit real well on the steel console.

MAXBILT
MAXBILT's Reviews
04-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Check out our Max-Bilt Command center consoles, those of of you who have tuffys would appreciate them I am always looking for the feedback, DeadMeat.... I am not the "tuffy rep" but I can certainly take your ideas into consideration to improve our products, that are made for true jeepers by true jeepers. Keep the posts coming www.maxbilt.com

DeadMeat
DeadMeat's Reviews

04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Price: $230.00
Pros: good solid construction, good value for the money
Cons: poor finishing process, not designed for topless jeeps
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought the Tuffy Deluxe console for my 83 CJ7. Although I enjoy my console, there are two major issues I have with it.

First, I cut the hell out my my hands while installing the console; the finishing job was horrible. I found everything from burred to razor sharp edges on the console (mostly with the aluminum parts). I had to spend about an hour or so deburring the console. I would like to see Tuffy imporove it's finishing process so that others may not have to do this.

Second, I do not believe this console to be designed/fabricated with topless jeeps in mind. I don't know about the YJ and TJ owners, but many CJ owners run without tops. Isn't that why a jeep has drain holes? I rarely run my jeep with a top; when I do, it's only during monsoon season and two months during the winter (Arizona living is great). There are many holes, and junctions points (specifically to the front of the console) that are not water proof and perhaps only slightly water resistant... if that. A quick weld, prior to deburring as suggested above, would fix this issue.

A suggestion from the stereo section of the console (in case a Tuffy Rep reads this): The main compartment hatch has a really nice feature in the back. It overhangs the maincompartment to help keep water out. The thought put into the design and construction of this console is the reason I bought it, over the competitions. So, why not do the same thing with the stereo section of the console? Seriously, wouldn't it be a bit more important to protect your electronics than anything else in the conosole? It's just a thought.

Ryan99TJ
Ryan99TJ's Reviews

03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love it very strong!

cooltc2004

cooltc2004's Reviews

02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This one I have is for the YJ. Very good product, very well made, and hides the radio with a door.

Dr. Internet
Dr. Internet's Reviews

02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Pros: Secure storage for 1911, winch cable/switch, cell phone, etc. Impossible to "pop" open. Much sturdier than stock plastic console.
Cons: Instructions not quite correct or somewhat confusing. No more cup holders!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this console replacement to fit in my 2005 Rubi LJ so I would have a secure location to mount a CB radio. Unfortuately, the radio location was too small for the CB. So, I cut the cover in half, lengthwise, welded in another inch of steel and also extended the top another inch or so to the front. Cleaned up and painted, it looks factory fresh. I warmed up the stock shifter and bent it forward a little to clear the new cover in 4th and 6th gears. Ran all the cables under the console and shift cover to the firewall. Nothing shows. This console bolted into the stock rear console holes in the LJ. Did not have to drill any holes in the body. Did have to fab a new shifter boot hold-down frame (used aluminum bar stock, painted black, and brass nuts & bolts - looks good). The stock bass speaker fits fine. The rear cup holders don't really fit that well with the back seat folded up, so I took them out.

BigPeters
BigPeters's Reviews

08-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: More room, more comfortable, convience, good looks
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This product is awesome and is 1000x better than the factory console.
More room, more comfortable, convenience of the stereo location and looks real good.