post #1 of Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy TJ speaker & storage lockbox set

Turn that unused space on top of the wheel wells into a convenient and secure place to mount 5 1/4” speakers, and lock up valuables. This 16-gauge steel lockbox set comes equipped with a removable partition which divides the speaker and storage area.

MOUNTING: Mounts through wheel wells, drilling required. Soft top will still fold down when boxes are mounted.

post #2 of Old 08-03-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great lock boxes. People have rummaged thru my Jeep twice now, and they don't even try to get into my Tuffy storage products. The locks are inexpensive, so you can get them all keyed alike, which is very nice. I haven't put speakers in mine (yet) but I'd have no worries they'd get stolen.

The instructions suggest that you run the mounting bolts up thru the tub so the nuts are inside the box for security... this makes the bolts stick way up into the boxes unless you cut the bolt to length first If you leave your wheel-well liner in, I'd say run them the other way so only the head of the bolt is in the way.

I should also mention that although they do sit slightly higher than the tub, I have no problem running a Bestop duster with them in place... though you've got to remove the duster to get in them.

post #3 of Old 08-06-2006, 09:58 PM
KUK9
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Definately good boxes to have. I am still needing to re-key mine, as I do not have the original keys, but inexpensive to do so. They give you extra storage space in previously unused areas, and also give you space to mount more speakers, without fear of damaging them.

I left my wheel well liners in, so that added a bit more difficulty installing them, but keeps a cleaner look (at least to me). Other than that, fairly straight forward.
post #4 of Old 08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
daveg13

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed these nice boxes yesterday. Easy to install, had mine both mounted in about 30 minutes. Your not going to fit anything big in these boxes, but they can hold alot of small items. Plus you can add some speakers if you want.
post #5 of Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

These are great lockboxes. I am definitely not afraid of anything walking out of them. There definitely isn't much space in them to fit much of anything. One I use for my tow strap and a hitch. The other is for my daughter's toys. I have yet to find a decent speaker that will fit in them. Looking at the design however, I don't think I would want a speaker in there as the space is open and not easily sealed up.
post #6 of Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
usmcwrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is a great product for the DD Jeep. The only problem I ran into was installation through the liner. Once I got my sister out to help, it went a lot better. Also, there was a lot of rattling with tools at first but some Craftsmen toolbox liners solved that problem.
post #7 of Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM
NYTJ
1984 CJ7 

GREAT
post #8 of Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Rocky5

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tuffy 055....one word SOLID
post #9 of Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Takota
1998 TJ Wrangler 

These are great boxes and I recommend these to those who GO TOPLESS! These are a must have!
post #10 of Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
catalog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

NOt a huge fan of the hardware they supplied to mount these. Can NOT find any 5.1/4" speakers that are shallow enough to fit in the speaker area. So I moddified them to hold more tools instead.
post #11 of Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM
r_unda
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got these boxes used for my TJ. I installed them yesterday. Not a lot of space but I like them. It took me some research to find a speaker that fits in there but I finally found the Kenwood KFC-1354S 5-1/4" Speakers. They fit really nice, sound is good too. These speakers have a top-mount depth of 1-3/4” so I guess any speaker with this dimension should fit. I also bought some 5-1/4” Slim Speaker Baffles. Don’t know if it makes difference with the sound but I thought it was a good idea.

My Jeep isn't getting older, it's getting newer part by part

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck