Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Body > Consoles, Security & Storage > Tuffy Security Products Overhead Security Console

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Tuffy Security Products Overhead Security Console Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Consoles, Security & Storage Next Product

Tuffy Security Products Overhead Security Console

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $250.00
Average Price: $171.25
Manufacturer: Tuffy Security Products
Recommended?
Yes: 10 / No: 1

Tuffy Overhead Security Console

This 16-gauge steel security console has (2) separate lockable compartments for mounting a stereo, CB Radio, Speaker, or other electronic device. Compartments swing up flush with enclosure when closed and are secured by a single lock. This console can also be mounted to a full roll cage using (3) 2 1/2 U-Bolts (not included). Do not operate vehicle without doors securely closed.

MOUNTING:
The console is expandable to fit between roll bar and windshield. Mounts to factory holes, no drilling required. Will fit in a space measuring larger than 32 1/2 and less than 36 1/2 between the two mounting points. Bracket included for mounting in a 2001 TJ.

Exterior Dimensions: (Length is Expandable) 32 1/2L to 36 1/2L, 9 13/16W, 4H
Interior Dimensions: (2) Compartments of equal dimensions (pre-cut for DIN Mount Stereo) 8 7/8 Depth, 7 1/4W, 2 1/8H

FITS:
Wrangler TJ
Wrangler YJ
CJ-7
CJ-5

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Swoopsd
Swoopsd's Reviews
04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Price: $244.99
Pros: Great to remove that CB from bumping into me. I'm a large guy. Getting equipment out of my way is a goal.
Cons: Lock broke about a year after I bought it. No Wireways (Limited)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The install is EZ. I took me about an hour. However, before you install this, know what you are going to use it for. I was able to hide the wiring inside of it for my CB. A friend of mine bought the same thing and wasn't paying attention and shorted his wiring in side of the console. As long as you plan it out, you should be all good. The lock did break. But not how it sounds. It fell apart from all the vibrations. I could fix it. But I figure since the CB is "mounted" with fasteners, no lock is really needed. I guess my only other comment would be the CB mounting location could have been about an inch deeper. I can make everything fit, but it is tight. And I am using a night ranger CB.

ratcals
ratcals's Reviews
11-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Provides a secure place to mount your CB.
Cons: Does not work well with full sized CBs
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy to install but I had to modify the opening to get my Cobra 29 LTD BT to fit.

cherokeed96
cherokeed96's Reviews

01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Price: $25.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmimmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmp,,,,,,,,,,,,,/

sodman
sodman's Reviews

01-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Price: $200.00
Recommended? No

Comments: Nice, but all the tall people hit their head on it when they get in the Jeep. Rough terain and the radio compartments will drop out unless locked.

JoeySnow70
JoeySnow70's Reviews

06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Exellent construction. Needs better way to mount to the Roll bar. Otherwise great product...

scrogg
scrogg's Reviews

04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Pros: solid, secure, looks good, lockable, fairly easy to install
Cons: adds a t-top feeling to an otherwise open jeep
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have the JK version with only one lockable caddy. It fits my Uniden 65 Elite nicely. The front face of the CB is clearly visible and it provides easy access to the controls. The bottom is perforated for the CB's speaker to be heard loud and clear. I'd put one of these in any Jeep that I own.

Runty02
Runty02's Reviews

04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Pros: Great Security - and Fits Nice
Cons: Negligence in mounting adaptations for CB Radios
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased this product and love how well it fits in the vehicle. Running the wiring was a bit of a pain, but what isn't these days? When it came down to installing the CB radio, I found that there was no adapters made for one. Tuffy makes an adapter for a dashradio but who needs two radios in a jeep? I would think that a CB would be mounted in there more than a radio. I had to "modify" my mounting brackets to fit a Cobra 29 LTD. I also found that I had to sit the CB back farther than I had originally hoped to be able to accomodate the knobs, otherwise they would hit the front door. There could also have been a bit more thinking about where/how to run the microphone wiring. Right now, I have to disconnect my mic everytime I want to lock the face. I like this product for its security and how solid it is but, the engineers could have put more thought in to accomodating a broader market than just a dash radio.

2007 2-door Wrangler JK

DeadMeat
DeadMeat's Reviews

04-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: solid construction, good space for electronics
Cons: Not very water resistant, poor use of space, 2x CB caddy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The overhead console is a great way to give yourself a bit of added space to mount electronics in your jeep. I also own the Tuffy Deluxe Console; I have similar problems with both.

I don't know about you all, but I believe that a top on a jeep is blaspheme... unless it's time for monsoon season. The console would be the best thing since leafspring suspension, if it had two welds along the top seem and a bit of silicon around the plugs on each side (to cover the access holes for the electronics carriages). These two small things would make this console VERY water resistant.

It seems like Tuffy decided to make a one-size-fits-all console. Instead of building the console to be a "proper" fit, a telescopic sliding extender is used to shorten and lengthen the over all length of the console to fit between the top edge of the windshield frame and the roll bar. There is a lot of unused space. If the main console area was expanded, you could throw in a pair of sunglasses or misc. other crap.

Although I may be a little overboard on this one... but I don't think so. This console supports a two electronics caddies. I like that. However, what I don't like is the fact that BOTH caddies are for CB's. What if I don't have a CB? How many people actually carry two hard mounted CB's in their jeep? I have one hard mounted and one handheld. If I put a stereo in there, I have to worry about covering the massive holes punched into the caddy for a CB speeker.

Why not include one CB caddy and one stereo caddy. Hell, maybe sell one or the other on the website so that those that have two CB's can have two and those that have one CB and one stereo can have the caddies they need. What if I want two stereos? I feel I'm being discriminated against because I'm not cool enough to use two hardmounted CB's.

David97TJ
David97TJ's Reviews

04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It works great, but the damn windshield mounting screws rattle loose over time.

stewski695
stewski695's Reviews

11-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Pros: very secure, fairly easy to install
Cons: rattles, obstructs open feeling of jeep, tough to use rear space
Recommended? Yes

Comments: very secure, but rear space is not very accessable from front seats. rattles a little but you get used to it. Typical Tuffy product, well built but $$$.

booboodmb
booboodmb's Reviews

09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Pros: Lockable compartments for stereo (head unit) and other electronics (amps, CB, etc.)
Cons: Extending wiring harnesses to reach. Sometime can rattle over bumps if not tightened.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I would highly recommend this product for anyone looking to be able to lock your head unit or other electronic gadgets. This is very heavy duty and it would be very difficult to break into. This is a great alternative to the center floor console if you want to keep that factor look. The front compartment is perfect for head unit and you can easily see the front of head unit. The back compartment is very difficult to view while driving, unless you are tall and have your seat moved all the way back.