11K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  ChadH 
#1 ·
Product Information
Price $250
Rating 4
Average Price $255.4
Manufacturer Tuffy
Recommended Yes: 15 / No: 1

This 16-gauge steel security console has (2) separate lockable compartments for mounting a stereo, CB Radio, Speaker, or other electronic device. Compartments swing up flush with enclosure when closed and are secured by a single lock. This console can also be mounted to a full roll cage using (3) 2 1/2" U-Bolts (not included). Do not operate vehicle without doors securely closed.
FEATURES:

* Single lock operation incorporating a high security 10 tumbler double bitted key
* Durable texture powder coat finish 2 swing-away doors
* 4" speaker grill cutout in each door (Holds 5 1/4" speaker)
* Pre-punched hole for CB mic
* Convenient opening strap for pull-down doors
* Footman loop mounting location for bikini top

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Price $150
Pros Extra Storage
Cons Rattles alot
Recommended yes

Comments: I bought this OVERHEAD SECURITY CONSOLE to mount my CB, but the COMPARTMENTS were too small (make sure this fits your CB before you buy it). I ended up mounting my CB under the compartment. Also the compartments on the console Rattles ALOT when wheelin' offroad. When you first install this you WILL hit you head several times getting into your Jeep!!!

#9 ·
Price $250
Pros -Allows me to lock up my head unit and have a extra storage spot until I put a CB in
Cons -none
Recommended yes

Comments: An easy install and nice when you park and can lock up your radio and GPS. I know that other people say that its easy to hit your head, but I'm fine and my buddy is 6'7" and hes good when he gets in.

#11 ·
Price $135
Rating 5
Pros Secure.
Looks cool! ;)
Can be keyed to fit other Tuffy products.
Cons Hard to open and close.
Had some minor leaks when it was out in the rain with no top.
Make sure your CB will fit.
Recommended yes

Comments: Bought it used off e-Bay so had to do some repairs to it. Kind of a PITA to run all the wiring. My CB (Cobra 29) did not fit so I had to file the opening on one of the trays to get it in there.

I have a Tuffy center console and rear storage box, nice to have all operate on one key!

Overall I like it a lot and would recommend it.

#12 ·
Price $259
Pros Very Secure, out of the way, looks great, can attach other stuff to it on the sides
Cons doesnt fit the more expensive CBs, if your short like me you cant see the rear compartment nad have to turn it into a speaker instead
Recommended yes

Comments: Only down side is if you are short and need your seat pushed forward more you cannot see the rear compartment, my CB does not fit lengthwise in the compartment so i will have to modify the compartment but otherwise a great product

#14 ·
Price $200
Rating 5
Pros Tough....Easy to install IF you have a 2inch rollbar. Very secure...looks nice... Keylock
Cons Rattles, not easy to Open and close, major Nice Cbs doesnt fit...doesnt fit on 3inch rollbar ( was my case)...
Recommended yes

Comments: Its a Very good solution from tuffy...easy to install, looks good on most of jeeps.
Fits in my cj5 M81A...but i had a lot of headaches to adapt in my 3inch rollbar.
In the end. of the day, a Nice item to buy...it makes my jeep looks different here in Brazil :highfive:

#16 ·
Price $270
Pros Tough storage (thick steel)
Cons Heavy, noisy on the road, rear console too far back to be easily accessed (if trying to view UHV radio), screws to secure drawers self tighten to the point the drawers cannot be opened
Recommended no

Comments: Tuffy Security Overhead Console. This product is meant for a '76-'02 CH, TJ, YJ. With some modification it will also fit a '06 TJ. This product is super tough with thick steel. It is also super heavy, and likely not worth the security it provides. I also got this product to double as a mounting location for switches (which can be done with modification. While putting it together, the rear console drawer was found to rub against the locking mechanism causing the paint to scrape off. I repainted the damaged area but it just scraped off again when I opened the console. I now leave the drawers open all the time. The hex bolts used to secure the drawers self tighten. After multiple opening and closings of the front drawer, it tightened so much I had to literally pry it open to remove and replace one of the bolts. Again, I now leave this drawer open as well. It does cause some noise, but then again, it is not factory. It is very secure. To modify it to work with my vehicle, I had to drill out the front windshield center retainer (when folding down the windshield) and drill a few holes in the front windshield frame and the console. I then used brackets and rivets to secure it. It is very secure, but not an easy modification to make. Recommended if you have high priced CB/ham radios and want them to be secured. I likely will not ever close and lock the drawers due to their self-tightening nature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.