Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Tires & Wheels > Tires > Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tires Next Product

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $26,500.00
Average Price: $663.61
Manufacturer: Mickey Thompson
Recommended?
Yes: 137 / No: 5

An Aggressive Mud Tire Terrain Radial in Specialty Light Truck Sizing, Features Cut Resistant 3-Ply Sidewalls and a Full 6-Ply Tread for Superior Strength & Toughness On or Off Road.

- ADVANCED RADIAL CONSTRUCTION FOR HIGH MILEAGE & SMOOTH RIDE
- SELF CLEANING HIGH-VOID TREAD LUGS FOR TRACITON IN MUD & SNOW
- DEEP SHOULDER LUGS PROVIDE AGGRESSIVE TRACTION AND BOLD LOOK
- ENHANCED SIDEBITERS® FOR ADDED TRACTION & PROTECTION
- SIPED TREAD LUGS FOR BETTER GRIP ON SMOOTH SUFACES & ICE

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

jeepwrangler89
jeepwrangler89's Reviews

12-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Little road noise. Aggresive sidewalls.
Cons: none.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just got a set of these for my yj and I love them! Very little to no road noise. I have only had them off road once, and they rarely slipped and mud easily cleaned out of the tread.

Pelikan

Pelikan's Reviews

12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Price: $230.00
Pros: Good in mud Quiet on road Good sidewall traction
Cons: Price
Recommended? No

Comments: I only have about 400 miles on these but they do well in mud. They are very quiet on the road considering how aggresive the tread is. I like them alot.

mudb0x
mudb0x's Reviews
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Price: $165.00
Pros: priced competitively, lugs are siped for longer road wear, not as loud as other mud tires and have lasted +50K miles
Cons: rubber doesn't last forever
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had several sets of all terrain tire but this is the first mud tire I've had on the Jeep.

I like the tread pattern and it works well to evacuate water/snow from the road. Good amount of tread on the sidewall of the tire.

siping on the lugs helps to reduce heat in the rubber which adds life to the tire.

Not as much road noise as other off road tires.

I've never rotated the tires and they have worn evenly and given +50K miles of life.

Time to replace them now and I'm about to go from the 265 to 285x75x16

will buy again.

WarTrophy
WarTrophy's Reviews

06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Price: $208.00
Pros: Performed great on Colorado's rocky trails.
Cons: Outlined White Letters (can be turned inward), D rating of 315/70R17
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've been running 315/70R/17 MTZs on my 2005 TJ Rubicon since SEP 2006. The vehicle weighs approx 4,500lbs without people or equipment. My TJ is a daily driver that is very rarley driven on the Interstate or at speeds over 65mph. It was built for rock crawling and local driving. At 36K there is 8/32 of tread left on these tires. The outside lugs have minor chunking. One tire received a dog-eared gouge near the bead that also left a deep scar on the rim- no leakage. Initially the tires were quiet for a mud terrain; at 20k they started to whine; at 30k-plus they sound like an 18-wheeler going down the HWY. Off-road, without bead locks, I run these tires at 11psi and have never lost a bead. On road I run 27-28psi. Above 29psi the vehicle bounces, though roll resistance is improved. I would buy these tires again. They have worked very well in the rocks. However, in the very near future, I will be replacing them with a "C" rated 35x12.50x17. I plan to do this for a personal experiment to see if I can determine any performance differences between a "C" and a "D" rated tire.

Dead_Nuts

Dead_Nuts's Reviews
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Price: $330.00
Pros: Looks. Road manners.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nice tires

elev8tion
elev8tion's Reviews
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Traction, looks
Cons: Gas mileage has begun to drop precipitously.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Yep

shoe83
shoe83's Reviews
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Great tire
Cons: Price shot up to about $270/tire after purchase.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have LT 315/75R16 (approx. 35x12.50R16) tires installed. These tires are great and have worn very well. For a M/T tire, they are very quiet on the highway, and a great performer off road. FYI price is for tire mounted and balanced, etc.

nedbergen
nedbergen's Reviews
01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Price: $900.00
Pros: Clean out well.
Cons: None so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: First upgrade I made to the jeep were these Mickey Thompson MTZs. So far, I really like them. They clean out well in mud.

tbg
tbg's Reviews

12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Pros: Aggresive tread, tough sidewall and good tread wear
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought 315 75/R16 to replace the MTR's that came on my 06 Jeep Rubicon. These are great in the rocks, snow and sand. I've had no time with them in mud. In the snow they have excellent traction and clean out very well.
Last May we deflated to 12 lbs and floated on top of about 5 feet of hard packed snow. They always provided traction.

I've got 10K miles on them and they show very little wear. For a Jeep these are an excellent all around choice. Good on wet or snowy pavement and can play on the rocks.

xlTravislx

xlTravislx's Reviews
12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Price: $800.00
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: they run good.

NocturnalAlloy
NocturnalAlloy's Reviews
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Great off-road, lots of traction, durable, great looking
Cons: Heavy, harder on gas (to be expected)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I mounted these Mickey Thompson 33"x12.5"x18" tires on 18"x9" wide wheels, no problem at all for side clearance on my 2010 JK. One thing for sure is that you need at least a 2" lift to hit the trails or else you won't get the flex you need without some rubbing. Night & day compared to stock Wrangler tires. They have a 10 ply rating so I'm not afraid to take them over sharp rocks.
I would say that the only thing I don't like is that they ride as if I didn't have any suspension at all on the Jeep, very hard ride, but that's probably because I got them inflated at 35 lbs. so that my sensors don't tell me I have a low tire, the ride should be better at lower inflation.
The weight and width also plays with the following:
1. Your driving skills, keep both hands on the steering wheel, these things will pull you where they want to go (to be expected).
2. Be ready to stop at the pump more often, it takes more power to get the Jeep moving due to their weight and extra traction.
3. Breaking is different now, have to be a bit more careful not to rear-end anyone, not because they slip, but because they added all this extra weight to the Jeep (at least that's my perception).
I totally like the way they look and how they operate off-road, even if they are not the best and most comfortable tires for pavement, what they give me off-road is worth it.

DallastheJeeper

DallastheJeeper's Reviews
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Pros: Grip on every thing
Cons: dont last very long
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have only had them for 7k miles and they are down to half 2/3 tread

patricknash1
patricknash1's Reviews
09-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Price: $1,000.00
Pros: Great looking tire and performs offroad very well.
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: They are suprisingly quiet on the road and perform well offroad. Very impressed with this tire.

tjFREEDOMjeep
tjFREEDOMjeep's Reviews

04-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Price: $215.00
Pros: great all around
Recommended? Yes

Comments: these tires are great they do have more road noise than most brand new mud terrains but its not overbearing they clean great even at low speed in the mud and push right on through the soft sand. they seem to wear just fine and i will probably buy another set when these wear out in 2 years. i also have posted a video on here and youtube showing them in the mud. enjoy

Bucket28
Bucket28's Reviews
04-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Great look and traction
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great tires they handle on the road great and I can take the off road, nothing serious but for dirt and pavement there great

vonmuse
vonmuse's Reviews
03-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Price: $171.00
Pros: great 31.5X11.50
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great snow handle well over a foot of the white stuff, good in mud and street have not been on rock or beach yet..

Midnightwolf
Midnightwolf's Reviews

02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Price: $771.84
Pros: Awsomely mean looking sidewall tread. 3 ply sidewall and 5 ply tread is hard to find. pretty quiet
Cons: Dont have any yet, just got them.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just got these put on my XJ today, so far I cant believe how quiet they are. After taking off my Pro Comp MT's it is much quieter rollin down the road. Over the last 2 days I have put on a couple hundred miles of highway driving. Some rain some dry, and I am really happy so far. The hold the road well even when wet. Have yet to go off road with them

loneeagle78
loneeagle78's Reviews

01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Price: $800.00
Pros: great ride quality, excelent traction, great handling.
Cons: none that I have seen so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: bought these tires in september, and love them. they are more quiet than the at's that were on my rig when I got it. I opted for the 33 12.5 15 and they seem to be a little heavy, but they perform excelent. with all the snow that has fallen in Fargo, I have only had to run 4wd in deeper snow.....3+ inches. I recently had to help out a full size blazer, and he is running 35. I went right out to him without any problems. I would definately buy these again.

Exl2392
Exl2392's Reviews
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Price: $234.00
Pros: great tires so far
Cons: noting yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: love the tires so far but havent had them long enough to see tread wear patterns

brucem
brucem's Reviews
12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Seem to have good bite offroad
Cons: Loud & rough on pavement
Recommended? No

Comments: Most of my trail riding is gravel county roads and US Forest Service firetrails, an aggressive tire like this isn't really needed for my style of riding. I only say I wouldn't recommend the tires because how loud and the vibrations they cause, I don't like vibrations or noise from tires.

My next set will be something else, maybe some BFG's.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »