Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Tires & Wheels > Tires > Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tires Next Product

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $990.00
Average Price: $342.37
Manufacturer: Goodyear
Recommended?
Yes: 66 / No: 5

Wrangler Silent Armor is Goodyear's newest truck tire for both on- and off-road driving and is designed to complement your truck by providing rugged toughness, while delivering a smooth and quiet ride. Not only is this tire tough enough to get the job done, it's built to do it quietly. Premium on-/-off-road tire that helps deliver great traction and ruggedness. This tire emulates the hard-working capability of your truck, providing strength and toughness, as well as a smooth, quite ride.

Not every Wrangler gets to wear the SilentArmor Technology shield. The key to SilentArmor Technology lies just beneath the tread. Two high-tensile steel belts and a layer made with KEVLAR®, a material that's, pound for pound, five times stronger than steel, helps to give this tire its toughness.

The same layer made with KEVLAR® also acts as a barrier to help absorb road noise for a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride.

Goodyear Silent Armor Website

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

SentinelSix
SentinelSix's Reviews
10-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Price: $198.00
Pros: VERY QUIET, with EXCELLENT traction, and much improved handling & ride comfort over stock. I LOVE these tires! Worth every penny.
Cons: None, so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Update.

Now having these tires on for the entire PA winter, off roading/gas well roads, long road trips I can say you will have a hard time finding a better all around performance tire anywhere.

They are wearing great, there is NO road noise, and I feel extremely secure driving in all conditions with these. They have performed admirably in snow, ice, mud, rocky terrain. These are not dedicated mudding tires, but should serve most well, unless you're driving a dedicated trail rig. Then you may want a more dedicated trail tire, but for most uses I can find no fault with this tire. It is stable at up to or over 85 mph (interstate driving), again with NO road noise.

I have driven over trees, rocks and these tires are TOUGH! It must be the Kevlar in them. The have no chunks missing AT ALL. Wear is pretty much perfectly even on all four tires. I just can't say enough good things about them. I was gonna buy General Grabber AT2's but I am SO glad I got these instead. I bought mine at Sears.

Buy these with utmost confidence!

4x4byrdxk
4x4byrdxk's Reviews
10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Price: $230.00
Pros: Excellent On-road and off-road traction, quiet and smooth ride.
Cons: Off-road is somewhat below what i was expecting, once you get mud in the treads they get very little traction.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Off-road is somewhat below what i was expecting, once you get mud in the treads they get very little traction. However if it is not muddy they do quite well. Excellent for driving around the farm, and on the interstate/roads.

Dale_3.0
Dale_3.0's Reviews
07-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Price: $920.00
Pros: Quiet ride, great for gravel roads
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great tires. I kept on getting flats driving with the stock Forterra's so I switched to the silent armours and haven't had one since.

marshcan
marshcan's Reviews
04-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Price: $130.00
Pros: Much more quiet than Wrangler AT. Great traction and a nice ride. Great wear as well.
Cons: No problems with these tires except when you have to clean the white letters as the tires have scrubbed a little, they're not as white as they should be.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Really nice tires. I wasn't convinced that tires could make that much of a difference in the sound/acoustics, but they definitely try. Obviously, Jeeps are never quiet, but this is an improvement over the Goodyear Wrangler AT.

havoc64

havoc64's Reviews

03-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Tires were on the Jeep when I bought it. Grips like a pissed off gorilla on the Rain, Snow and Ice...very quiet for an AT tire
Cons: Lugs are too close for any amount of mud use...will pack up very quickly
Recommended? No

Comments: I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who wants a true AT tire..for the daily driver they are great tires, they will give you the traction you need for snow and rain on your way to work. But if you have to drive through a muddy plowed field or want to do any 4 wheeling, I would recommend something with a more side tread and some bigger lugs..

TheHeretic

Kool Kat 4x4
TheHeretic's Reviews
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Price: $1,040.00
Pros: Outstanding performance on road, and on snow covered roads and deep snow
Cons: Price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought these tires without doing a lot of research before hand. I asked for what the Tire Dealer thought would be the best tire for a TJ. Without a seconds hesitation; he suggested the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor. Wow, what a tire, and what an incredible tire in the snow. These tires are the quietist tires I've ever had on the highway, and by far the best tire I have ever had for snow. Snow covered roads, deep snow (>8" deep), these tires are awesome!!

Ya, they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. You can go with BFG A/T's, and save some money, but if you need an A/T that is also INCREDIBLE in snow, you have only one option. Silent Armor!

bytehoven

bytehoven's Reviews

12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Price: $195.00
Pros: Great on snow and ice
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Snow Report:

We recently had a decent snow for testing the Wrangler Silent Armors. We had upwards of 14" and drifts well above.

The WK with QDII and 265/60R18 Silents Armors were always stable and predictable on ice and unstoppable in snow. Stopping and starting in drifts up to the bumper was never a problem.

We have one hill in the neighborhood which packs and gets icy very quick. It's the kind of hill you would usually want to maintain some momentum while going up. I could stop and start with no problem, both with slow and fast acceleration. I have not had this kind of performance in the snow since I sold a '86 XJ Cherokee with the old Michelin X tires.

I can definitely say the 09 WK with QDII and Wrangler Silent Armor tires is the best snow vehicle I have owned.

havoc64

havoc64's Reviews

12-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Quiet, load Range E Rating (on my tires) Kevlar
Cons: I am doubtful about the Mud and Sand capabilities. Tread pattern may become packed with Mud and may not self clean.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have had this Jeep with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade tires for just over a week, as I purchased the Jeep on the 24th of December and the tires were on the vehicle when I bought it. My tires say "Pro Grade" on the side as well as "Load Range E". It seems that GoodYear is following the suit of BFG and Mickey Thompson and offering different load ranges on the same model of tires.

This past week, Topeka just had it's worst winter storm in many years. I drove in all kinds of wintry conditions and I must say that these tires performed exceptionally well. I pulled out 3 stuck cars and the tires didn't spin. They grip the snow, slush and ice like a gorilla holding onto a piece of luggage..(it's a commercial reference..lol) They evacuate the slush from the tread like the same gorilla throwing the same piece of luggage. Slush though is a different beast than Mud.

I'd recommend these to anyone who wants a good daily driver, who wants to trail now and then. Serious off-roaders will want a tire with a more aggressive tread and side lugs.

Ratings (my personal)
Street & Road -5
Snow Ice - 5
Rock - 3
Mud - 2
Sand - 3

The lower Rock, Mud and Sand ratings are based based on tread Design, tighter treads typically get packed and do not self clean. I haven't had the chance to test these tires yet in these conditions and I am only basing my rating on my experience and ratings of other tires with similar tread patterns, for example BFG/AT's. Sand is another beast all together, whereas the tires do not get packed with sand, I worry about the tread digging down too much as the treads may not bite enough.

johng27
johng27's Reviews
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Price: $800.00
Pros: Quiet, great snow traction as well as dry.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great Tires! I have no regrets about buying them.

claytonandson

Web Wheeler
claytonandson's Reviews

12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Price: $133.00
Pros: handle well and quiet
Cons: none so far
Recommended? No

Comments: replaced the 4 245.75.16 MTR's w 265 silent armors. ride much quieter than the mtr's, although i do miss rugged look sometimes of the MTR's. but a lot of bang for the buck, and even jumped a size. the MTR's in this size scared me w/ the $$$ tag. better for the average wrangler driver, which statisticly i recently read that 94% of us spend 96% of our time on pavement.

iceman8
iceman8's Reviews
12-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Price: $193.00
Pros: QUIET. Great traction on pavement in all conditions, Great the few times I went off road on dry and wet/muddy trails with moderate hills. Snow and ice, very good as well.
Cons: Price. Expensive but worth it so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Removed the Goodyear MTR's mostly because of the noise at 14K miles. Just too much on the pavement, even after anal-like rotation every 3K miles. I went with the Silent Armor in the C load range. I am not doing rocks, etc. so no need for the E range model tire.

Ride quality is slightly improved, less so than expected, this C range tire is still good and stiff. Noise-almost none compared to the MTR. These Silent Armors have the "Mountain Snowflake" rating on the sidewall which they "say" will allow me to go on some roads in the area w/o chains. I do know that is wishfull thinking, as at some point chains are a must. For those who know how to drive in winter and don't push the envelope to the extreme, this tire is great.

A pleasant surprise was that when balanced, three of the tires took just a tiny amount of weight, all three the same amount and the other tire...took no weight at all. Very smooth at all speeds, zero wobbles. MPG picked up maybe close to one mpg, definately no worse than before the swap. Jeep is a brick anyway so I don't expect much.

Silent Armor is a good tire to look at if you want to hear your stereo again. They provide decent all-around traction.

fun
fun's Reviews
11-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Price: $145.00
Pros: Quiet
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: They run done road pretty quietlly. Do a decent jub in the mud.

bytehoven

bytehoven's Reviews

11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Price: $195.00
Pros: Great highway ride, smooth yet stable, nice look, great off-road feel and performance, low noise.
Cons: None so far except maybe price, although after the rebate they were only $10 more per tire than the Destination ATs.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought the Wrangler SilentArmors in 265/60R18 for my 2009 WK Grand Cherokee to replace the OEM Fortera HL 245/60R18 tires.

I wanted a better off-road tire without having to give up too much on-road performance.

I was considering the Destination AT, Michelin LTX AT2 and Dueler REVO 2 as alternatives.

In the end I went for the SilentArmors due to their Severe Snow rating for use when I will take the WK hunting in the mountains during R1, R2 & R2 conditions. But I believe any of the tires I mentioned would have been good performers.

I would note there is a $100 rebate on various GoodYear Wrangler tires for TreadLightly members. This rebate offer is good thru 8/31/2010.

I will post a follow up review once I have completed some deep some snow driving.

TheHeretic

Kool Kat 4x4
TheHeretic's Reviews
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Pros: Great handling, look awesome, and pretty quite for AT's
Cons: hard to balance
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got these tires to replace the stock Good Year GS-A's. I was having some tire issues with the stock tires. The Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor are excellent on road. I've yet to try them in the snow (the other reason for purchasing A/T's), but looking at the tread design snow should be easy to conquer with these tires.

JamuJoe
JamuJoe's Reviews
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Pros: Excellent mud and snow traction. Very low noise on highway.
Cons: None yet noticed.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These Wrangler Silent Armor 265/60 18's fit very well on my 08 GC 3.0 CRD with 2" Daystar Lifts. They ride just a bit softer than the Fortera's that I replaced due to wear after only 25K miles, and I notice no loss of crispness in cornering.

silvzj95
silvzj95's Reviews
09-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: they handle well. got them from a local guy
Cons: one plug in them
Recommended? Yes

Comments: they were cheap so i grabbed them

NickJr44
NickJr44's Reviews
09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Price: $167.00
Pros: great tire, strong Kevlar inside to prevent punctures.
Cons: not meant for serious muddin'. although, with enough speed these work well for being an all-terrain tire
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These tires grip better in the rain than my old tires did on dry pavement. These have stiff sidewalls which allow for good cornering from a lifted Jeep. With a good alignment, proper wheel balance and rotation these have about 20,000 miles on them with almost no visible wear. They look 5,000 miles old, have plenty of tread left. At least another 20,000. Gave my overall lift an extra couple inches

Ktjex

Ktjex's Reviews
08-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Price: $750.00
Pros: Good traction, came with lifetime balance/rotation
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good traction on wet roads, haven't put them to the test in the mud yet. Came with lifetime balance/rotation. Will update as I evaluate them.

djsilence
djsilence's Reviews
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Price: $138.00
Pros: Tough tire, smooth ride
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just put them on, will write more later

shaunmic
shaunmic's Reviews

03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Price: $125.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very quiet and smooth running, are terrific on icy roads and very good in snow. Only complaint is the very thin rubber covering on sidewall(white is showing through all over)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »