Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Tires & Wheels > Tires > Goodyear - Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Goodyear - Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tires Next Product

Goodyear - Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $250.00
Average Price: $519.00
Manufacturer: Goodyear
Recommended?
Yes: 60 / No: 4
Company Website: http://www.goodyeartires.com/

The Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar® (MT/R - Maximum Traction/Reinforced) is Goodyear's Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed for light truck driving enthusiasts who take off-road traction seriously. The Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar is designed to increase tire toughness when it conquers mud, crawls over rocks and explores trails.

The Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar features a silica rubber tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread design that combines off-road traction with on-road handling and wet traction. Goodyear's advanced mud-flow geometry tread design enhances self-cleaning capabilities while shoulder blocks (which alternate being stepped in and out) and a wraparound tread design on the upper sidewall increase traction in mud, sand, ruts and rocks. The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts and is Goodyear's first off-road tire to incorporate Dupont Kevlar, an innovative material that's, pound for pound, five times stronger than steel. The use of Kevlar sidewall reinforcement brings enhanced cut and puncture resistance to an area of the tire that demands extra toughness when driving off-road (increasing sidewall cut and puncture resistance by about 35% compared to the original Wrangler MT/R). The Kevlar also helps stabilize the sidewalls when drivers return to the pavement for the ride home.

While branded with the M+S symbol, their typical oversize applications, use of extra-large smooth lugs and minimal snow-biting sipes often challenges an Off-Road Maximum Traction tire's on-road wintertime traction in slush, packed snow and on ice.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Chase0808
Chase0808's Reviews
07-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: Kevlar
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Badass tires with Kevlar. 33x12.5x15.

99SprintST
99SprintST's Reviews
05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Price: $180.00
Pros: Great all round AT tire
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Work in the wireless industry building, upgrading, and integrating cell towers for AT&T Wireless. Spent the last year in the Colorado Rockies and the year before that in Upstate NY. Offroad/fireroads virtually everyday, combined with 200-500 miles of asphalt daily. These tires held up very well in conditions they weren't exactly made for (80 MPH on the interstate fully loaded with armor and equipment/tools). I am on my second set. I allowed the tire pressure to drop too low during Feb in Upstate when the temp dropped below 0' and I was running I-90 from Albany to Buffalo and back. Chopped and cupped them a little bit. My fault not the tire's. Got 38K out of them. On my second set now and getting better life with better care. At 25K with half tread life left.

The_Goob

Hell on Wheels
The_Goob's Reviews
04-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Price: $195.00
Pros: look and ride great. Have not wheeled them yet
Cons: took alot to balance
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got them in 35x12.5 for 195 each. great tires! They do have a hum to them but its not bad, since we drive noisy Jeeps anyway.

TimeWellWasted
TimeWellWasted's Reviews
03-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Not to loud, ain't got stuck yet
Cons: nada
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Where already on when purchased Jeep.. I drive 20-30 miles a day..been on over a year, still good tread

romanequities
romanequities's Reviews
03-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Price: $1,200.00
Pros: great tread life and grippy offroad
Cons: sidewall rubber peels off on hard trails like the rubicon...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great tire..will buy again but a real issue is the thin sidewalls....rock rash like crazy after the rubicon trail.

McNasty35

McNasty35's Reviews
03-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: Great off road, look great
Cons: hard to balance, out of round, sidewall failure, awful in snow, bad in heavy rain
Recommended? No

Comments: A week after I purchased these tires I lost a sidewall in a parking lot due to a manufacturing defect. The sidewall just gave out. You could never tell from the outside, but from the inside there was a large, almost 2" bubble protruding into the tire.

I returned the tire to Goodyear and they gave me a replacement... that was out of round. They replaced that one... with another tire that was out of round, but the shop was able to balance it so I took it.

They ride smooth for a while, but I have to get them road force balanced every six months or so. They are wearing very well, but I rotate them at every oil change.

The only good thing I can say about them is that they are excellent off road. Unless there is snow on the ground.

lahpq-xj
lahpq-xj's Reviews
02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Dry Traction Snow Traction Mud Traction Dirt Traction Clear out really well in mud, throws chunks of mud not soup.
Cons: Wet Traction: are not amazing in rain on pavement.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works well in almost every situation. The tougher kevlar belts make the need for a spare less. In mud my friends refuse to wheel behind me. I throw cow pie sized mud at prior, the clear out well.

soesm006
soesm006's Reviews
01-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Price: $289.00
Pros: Super silent
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I upgraded from the standard BF Goodrich MT on my Rubicon to the Goodyear MTs. The reduction in noise was amazing! Tested them here on the Lava, beach sand, and snow. Preformed as expected, but the difference makes these tires my number one choice by far!

Blackhawk83
Blackhawk83's Reviews
01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: 1
Cons: 1
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 1

blodgett860
blodgett860's Reviews
11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Price: $106.00
Pros: Cheap but awedome grip and handleing
Cons: Treads get clogged with mud to fast
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Like I said u get what u pay for the tires handle great but wear down quickly.

92yjbeastjeep
92yjbeastjeep's Reviews
10-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Indestructable
Cons: Military bead locks so you have to spend the money to set your wheels up with a bead lock ring or you will never air down enough without breaking the bead
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I run the 37" military ones on my truck and jeep and only ever have to change them out ever 2 years or so and my truck is a 3/4 ton diesel that tows daily. Plus I buy them from military auctions and can usually buy 4 of them for about 250 bucks.

Winniethepooh
Winniethepooh's Reviews
09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Awesome traction, aggressive look, comfortable ride,
Cons: Loud drone from tires
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Awesome tires. I recommend these to anyone over the km2

billy_butler
billy_butler's Reviews

08-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Pros: price, tread
Cons: heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I picked up a set of 285/75R16s. Had them mounted on a ford ranger for 8 months, rolled the ranger put them on my YJ. I love the performance on and off road, they work great on hill climbs rocks and anything the trail throws at them. perfect tire for a weekend warrior/daily driver. I have seen negative reviews about balancing and flat spots. I recommend these tires be balanced with dyna beads, they have been worn nice and level and they ride great. Cant stress the dyna beads enough.

Davetopay
Davetopay's Reviews

07-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Price: $1,350.00
Pros: Tough side walls, great in mud and rocks, longer tread wear than expected.
Cons: Not round, won't balance, rotating does nothing for tread life.
Recommended? No

Comments: I am torn. They are great Offroad, tough as nails, and I am pleased that tread life appears as if you COULD get up to 40k miles out of a set. That's if you could get them to balance and they were actually round. Can't buy them off the rack around here, so you can't pick and choose to make a good set. What the dealer gives you is what you get and hey are really no help in the long run. Not sure what my next move will be, but probably not back to anything ,ade by Goodyear as I have been burned by their product every time it has been tried.

KodiakMoore
KodiakMoore's Reviews
07-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Pros: Great traction both on and off road. Relatively quiet, but just loud enough to hear "singing" with the top off
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had these tires for nearly a year and they're awesome. Working on a Farm, I transition from dirt to mud to pavement many times a day and they've never once let me down. These tires have awesome traction, a real aggressive look, and dont wear nearly as fast as most off-road tires. I'd buy them again and again and suggest them to anybody who asks

joshydt58
joshydt58's Reviews
07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Kevlar is tough. nice side tread
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great tires

highoctane83
highoctane83's Reviews
06-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: Quiet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got 37x12.5x18 n love them.. on hard krawling I run 5 pounds n just go. No problems ever

joey5639
joey5639's Reviews
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Pros: Adds nice look to my jeep
Cons: Deflates
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nice tire ive just had to inflate them a few times

frenchy206

frenchy206's Reviews
03-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Price: $1,400.00
Pros: Good traction, not to loud (not sure since I have an exhaust and a soft top).
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I used them more in snow than mud and was totally satisfied.

vanillathrilla

vanillathrilla's Reviews

02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Pros: self cleaning great on and off the road incredibly durable
Cons: price for me, the white lettering was a con on 33's and smaller. I've blacked the letters out instead of installing them incorrectly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've been in a little bit of just about everything, and these tires have taken every bit of it without so much as breaking a sweat. They're wearing a bit faster than I would like, but frankly I'm still impressed. Yes, they're getting a little louder with wear, but that's the nature of the beast with a mud terrain tire, right? The Jeep is loud to begin with. If you remove the top and the doors, what do you expect? Turn the radio up!

I would consider trying another tire if it were more affordable, but my gut feeling tells me my next set of tires will be the MTR's with Kevlar again. I'm sincerely pleased!

P.S. Someone mentioned that the tires don't clean out mud effectively.. Are you CRAZY? There's been a number of tires where I've gone from mud to asphalt and my Jeep just gets covered with mud slinging everywhere from the tires cleaning out. The only time that's a bad thing is when it's slinging from the rear tires onto my windshield! Haha!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »