Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Tires & Wheels > Tires > goodyear mt/r

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

goodyear mt/r Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tires Next Product

goodyear mt/r

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,300.00
Average Price: $490.27
Manufacturer: goodyear
Recommended?
Yes: 94 / No: 6

these tires have done me well. they stick like glue to the rocks in southern california. the side walls have held up well to the torment i have put them through. of the 20 plus runs through johnson valley i have damaged one tire. those trails will eat up a lesser tire in minutes.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

mike68
mike68's Reviews
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: dirt and rocky areas
Cons: wet surfaces, its amazing how easy it is to fishtail with these.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: dont get me wrong, great tire, but its bad in mud and wet surfaces. pretty embarrassing when you go a couple of feet in a mud pit and they are clogged with mud and arent letting any of it go. gets clogged, stays clogged.

dannyz14
dannyz14's Reviews

12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Great in rocks, great for trail riding
Cons: Price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I am now on my third set of these tires and I will probably get these tires again once my new set wears out. I can personally say that these tires have been great for me on the road, in the sand, in the mud, and they are incredible in the rocks. They are a bit scary on wet pavement, but so are any other aggressive off-road tire. I have never had problems with these tires. The flex that you get out of these tires is unbelievable. I was crawling some boulders the other day and the tire flexed all the way to about 1/4 of an inch from the rim without losing the bead, and I don't even have beadlocks! They have never let me down and I can count on them 100% of the time.

jbowers
jbowers's Reviews

08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Grip, longevity, protection
Cons: Noise, deep soft sand
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Sidewall grip is great, very unlikely to be punctured due to the protection in the sidewall. 18k miles so far with lots of life left. Wear evenly as far as I can tell. These howl like a coyote at all speeds unless at VERY high pressures. These have served me well at moab, in the mud, and everywhere in between. Probably wouldnt purchase for a daily driver because of cost and noise.

JeepBro5
JeepBro5's Reviews

07-13-2007, 10:06 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Great road manners, handles rocks, dirt, trails, and water well.
Cons: After 10k mi, slight hum at highway speeds, poor in mud + sand, puncture resistance is questionable.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These tires came stock on my Jeep, and to date I've put around 11,000 miles on them.
With rotations every 3k miles, they've worn very evenly, and still have at least half of their tread left. They are a very well mannered tire on the road, they're perfectly quiet when new, and after they're significantly worn they only hum slightly. It doesn't bother me at all. Dry traction is great, and I've never had any trouble driving in the rain, even at highway speeds. I don't see snow or ice so I can't rate them there. Great tires for a daily driver.
Off road, the MTRs aren't perfect. They handle hard packed dirt, trails, water crossings, rocks (I'm referring to medium sized river rocks here, not hardcore rock crawling), light mud and packed sand great. They sink in thick mud and deep sand though.
I've just learned to avoid deep mud and drive cautiously in the sand, and with that in mind these tires have served me very well. The nice road handling has made driving my DD enjoyable, and I still have a very capable rig off road, so long as I avoid the mud. If your rig is a DD and you're not a mud bogger or a dune climber, these tires should serve you well also.

jopa
jopa's Reviews

02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Grip dry rock well, crazy strong sidewalls
Cons: Suck in the rain, Loud as a swamper
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Pretty decent tire, just loud as hell. They stick realy well on dry rock and the sidewalls are strong. Man are they loud on the street Ive ran TSLs that were not as loud...

roadrunner2348

roadrunner2348's Reviews

12-19-2006, 02:27 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Awsome on the rocks
Cons: little noisy on the road, not great in the rain
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you looking for something good on the rocks this is the tire. I have had these for about 5000 miles on a DD TJ. At the right pressure they just mold around the terrain and have awsome grip. I can't speak for them in the mud or snow though as I have no experience with them in those areas. As a DD tire though they're not bad. They slip a bit in the rain, and are a little noisy on the road, which doesn't bother me but for those that like a quiet ride you may want to look else where.

RDPrimeaux
RDPrimeaux's Reviews

12-10-2006, 05:23 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: rocks
Cons: mud and wet traction
Recommended? No

Comments: while these tires have the appearance of a mud tire, they are very disappointing in the mud. they are not made for wet pavement.

If you drive in rocks all the time, these tires are perfect for you. I will not be buying another set for my DD.

cherokee5up

cherokee5up's Reviews

11-28-2006, 10:21 AM
goodyear mt/r
Price: $220.00
Pros: Huge tread profile, good life
Cons: Bad in snow, rain
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Excellent tire. I have put over 15,000 miles on them and have a little more than half tread left.

I am also selling four brand new MT/R's. They are 33x12.5" R15LT. I will sell them all for $500 local pickup preferred.

stevensinger

stevensinger's Reviews

11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Great in mud and the snow
Cons: Rain traction is so so.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love them, great in the mud, sand, and the snow. Rain you may slide a little but nothing 4WD doesn't fix.

Haik

supaJEEP
Haik's Reviews

10-28-2006, 01:52 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Looks, puncture resistant sidewalls
Cons: Price, wet weather traction, poor mud, ice, snow traction
Recommended? No

Comments: Not Recommended for Canada.

I've noticed several people loving these tires, all of them are rock crawlers. I like to wade through mud, the MT/R's suck at this. They can't hold traction on the road if the conditions are wet, snowy, icy, extreamly cold or muddy. I believe they cost too much for what you are getting in return and I am positive you can find a better tire.

I ran these in the 31" size. Will never run them again.

Max1775

Max1775's Reviews

09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Almost Invincible, Super Tough, Great Wear
Cons: Price, Stiff Sidewall
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is my second vehicle with these tires and I love them. I think they do great in South Texas mud, handle rocks pretty easily, and hold up against Mesquite thorns and white brush stobs better than any tire I've run. I use my Jeep more for hunting than anything else, and we hunt in some pretty God forsaken places that have managed to chew up and spit out several other types of tires. I am extremely happy with these!

mctonyb
mctonyb's Reviews

09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Excellent puncture resistance and all around performance
Cons: Haven't experienced any yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had these tires on my rig for about 5000km and love them. They handle great on the steet wet or dry, seem to be wearing good, and pump on the rocks. I air my 35's down to around 9psi and they grab the rocks like no other. I've even done mud with them without any problems (unlike what most say).

I hope they are good in the snow! Review of that to follow.

PJTJ
PJTJ's Reviews

08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: great all around tire
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: buy this tire...you will love it!

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis's Reviews

08-10-2006, 01:56 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Good in mud and rocks and slow speeds on highway.
Cons: Loud on the highway, tread wears unevenly causing wobble
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I replaced mine as soon as possible. Even with regular rotation and balancing, they wore unevenly, thus causing wobble on the highway. Terrible for higher speeds.

j33pd4wg

j33pd4wg's Reviews

08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
goodyear mt/r
Price: $180.00
Pros: Sticky tread is great on dry rockcrawls, good in the snow
Cons: Horrible in deep mud
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a great rockcrawling tire that can be daily driven. However, if your trail rides include deep mud, avoid these tires. They pack up quickly in the goo.

greenbeater

greenbeater's Reviews

08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: durable, looks
Cons: bad everywere
Recommended? No

Comments: i think they do good in the rocks but for around here (mich. which is alot of dirt, mud, sand) they are about worthless. about as good as an allterrian.

yankeejeeper02
yankeejeeper02's Reviews

08-06-2006, 12:16 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: great wear, grip on the rocks, looks
Cons: cost (always), wet weather handling
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love this tire. Looks aggressive and is great on the rocks. As for a daily driver I would be alittle cautious b/c there def not the best handling in wet weather. Once you get used to them and realize that there a rock tire and not a high performance indy tire there fine for a dd.

Dustin

jerryhipp

jerryhipp's Reviews

08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: grip, great wear, aggresive,
Cons: not great on ice, but not meant to be.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i love this tire.

Derik Schneider
Derik Schneider's Reviews

08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Great traction, tread wear, smooth ride, & not as loud.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I Love this tire!

Some say this tire does not grip well on wet surfaces, this is true in comparison to a A/T,, but for an M/T I feel this is top notch, & will continue to buy this tire.

NoUse328
NoUse328's Reviews

08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
goodyear mt/r
Pros: Good sidewall, good dry traction, good wear
Cons: Not so good in anything wet...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I ran these tires stock for 9k miles, and they still had a good bit of tread left. These tires worked very well during dry conditions, however on wet streets I would regularly slide through redlights, and I'm a cautious driver. Moreover, they did not grab wet rocks well, nor mud.

If you're wheeling in the rocks regularly, they're a great tire. However, I cannot recommend them for any type of mud or wet wheeling.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5