Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Tires & Wheels > Tires > Cooper DIscoverer STT

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Cooper DIscoverer STT Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Tires Next Product

Cooper DIscoverer STT

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,300.00
Average Price: $557.02
Manufacturer: Cooper
Recommended?
Yes: 83 / No: 4

Cooper Discoverer STT

20% - Road & Sand
80% - Dirt & Mud

LONG MILEAGE
Large shoulder lugs and larger centre tread blocks reduce squirming so they don't chew out so quickly.

EXTRA STRENGTH TO REDUCE OFF ROAD DAMAGE
Cooper has a multi-layered steel cord belt and an extra rubber layer fitted between the belts to absorb more impact and reduce damage. Straight Sidewall design also deflects objects and reduces damage.

INCREDIBLE OFF ROAD GRIP
Alternatively scalloped shoulder lugs so that one section always has a clear shot at fresh ground for maximum traction.

QUIET ON THE ROAD
Centre tread blocks are larger than normal and have a 52-degree angle to reduce the noise level on bitumen.

SELF CLEANING
Tapered tread blocks and a unique 52-degree angle throw the mud out with every revolution.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

njohnson412
njohnson412's Reviews
05-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Price: $500.00
Pros: quiet, cheap, great tread pattern, good on road, even better off road
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Have had these on for about half a year around 4,000 miles. they are loud around 35 but tolerable and at 45 they are mud tire loud. with the top down and doors off going 45 you cannot hear yourself think. they are no where as near as loud as any pro comp tires though. Overall an amazing tire and i am pleased

Robbyguilfoyle
Robbyguilfoyle's Reviews
05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: nice tire
Recommended? Yes

Comments: good looking tire, nice tread

ChaseO
ChaseO's Reviews
04-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Price: $203.00
Pros: wear, looks, traction
Cons: price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These tires were on my jeep when i bought it. The previous owner claims even wear, and had no problems. I have only put 100 miles on them so far, but they easily handled the Northern Maine snow and mud pit that is my driveway and local commute...They look pretty good on my jeep as well...

Eshindi
Eshindi's Reviews

01-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Price: $1,200.00
Pros: Aggressive Looks, Snow Ability, Value
Cons: Some Noise
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had these tires for a few months on my jeep. I previously had the 31" Cooper ST and loved those tires for all year driving. Now that my jeep is now 90% dirt and 10% asphalt I got the 35" STT's. They drove in 8" of snow with out an issue. The only thing bad is that i find them a little louder than the ST but thats not really a con, thats what comes with knobby tires. On-Road they do handle pretty good and I can lock my brakes up with them meaning they can grip the road and my whole body pushes forward.
It will be hard NOT to get these tires again.

bbacus
bbacus's Reviews

07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Great Tire for the money
Cons: None Yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have written a review about this tire previously, but I just spent a week in Utah 4-wheeling, and the tires performed flawlessly. Still no mud, but I am very satisfied with these tires. If you want an overall good tire for the money, I would highly recommend STT's if you are looking for an MT style tire.

smith0200
smith0200's Reviews
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Price: $1,600.00
Pros: looks, grab
Cons: not loud enough
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great tires, had them about a month now. Drove from MA to VA no issues. not very loud at all. They grip surprisingly well

bbacus
bbacus's Reviews

04-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Great MT for the price. Drives well on and off road. Surprisingly quiet going down the highway.
Cons: None Yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I did a lot of research into "MT" tires. I spent months reading reviews and any other information that I could find about MT style tires. Bottom line on my research; there are many good/great MT tires out there in the market place. Every single manufacturer had it's pros and cons. Bad thing is it's hard to make a selection strictly based on this information. My suggestion is to lay out your likes/wants/needs in a tire and prioritize these things. Start from there.

Here is my rationale: I wanted to limit myself to tires that would fit my stock 99 Jeep TJ. Max size: 31X10.5X15. Secondly I wanted a tire that was durable on rocky roads....sharp rocks. Thirdly I wanted to keep the cost to a minimum as well. Fourthly, I wanted something that would be drivable and quiet going down the highway at 65 mph.

Also keep in mind, if you are a newbie like me, that your vehicle has limitations to the size of tires you can use. If they get to be to big, not only do you have to lift your vehicle, but major suspension and drive-train improvements may also have to be made. You will also need the power to turn these wheels. Fuel economy definitely goes down. Not cheap by any means.

I finally decided on two tires; Cooper STT or Toyo Open Country MT. I went with the Coopers based on size and cost. Both tires would have done an excellent job for my style of driving. In my opinion I think the Toyos are a better grade tire; massive and durable (31X10.5X15).

As a side note: Most MT's in general are notoriously bad on ice and wet pavement/concrete. If that's what you really need, then you don't want MT's of any kind. Not their intended use.

So far the Coopers are doing an excellent job for me. I haven't used them enough to comment on durability or tread wear. They are quiet and drivable on the highway, and excellent manners off road. Can't comment on their "mud" abilities yet. Good or bad I will post my actual use experience with these tires. Bottom line, I think they are probably the best MT for the price and made in the USA.

Good luck with your tire selection.

3dcustom
3dcustom's Reviews

10-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: Great looking, good off road and highway manners. Very quiet for the type of tire. Only completely made US tire.
Cons: None yet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Anyone looking for a great combo tire this is it. Great off road and on the highway. May not meet the extreme users needs, but for combo drivers its a great tire. Only have a couple thousand miles on them, so don't know about wear, but have heard they last quite well.

etsubchief
etsubchief's Reviews
09-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Price: $1,250.00
Pros: good agressive tread for offroading.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have had these tires for 3 years, have taken them trough snow, water, mud, sand and have had no problem. I have taken my jeep through water up over the hood, and had no problem.
and they look good as well!

madNok81
madNok81's Reviews

07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Price: $1,436.00
Pros: Has good grip on and off road.
Cons: Cooper Discoverer STT's had these on my truck and with only 9,654 miles the sidewall started splitting about a 1/4 inch up off of rim on one tire while in Colorado had it replaced and by the time we got back home to NE Oklahoma the other 3 tires were splitting in the exact same spot come to find out to top that off the brand new one with only 723 miles on it started splitting as well!! There is a manufacturer defect in this tire that's the only explanation that all 4 split in the same spot all around the tire and the brand new one as well. Tire size was 33 12.50 x20
Recommended? No

Comments: would not recommend at least not in the size I had. 33 12.50 x 20 and cooper wasn't willing to replace the tires at their cost even though the damage was due to a manufacturer defect in the process of making the tire. Very disappointed in cooper, they effectively lost my loyal business of 15 years of cooper tire purchases on everything I own.

booked101
booked101's Reviews
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Price: $800.00
Pros: lasted through abuse and still going strong
Cons: should have gone bigger
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Shortly after I got these tires i went and tried to climb a hill out by the swamp not far from my house. after spinning out in 4 hi I realized that it wasnt going to happen. Got back to the house and realized that I cut a small piece out of the tire on some oyster shells. 3 yrs later and they still have the cuts and pieces missing but havent failed me yet. I'll get coopers again.

mudpro97
mudpro97's Reviews
02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Great ride on road. Last a while. Great performance off road.
Cons: Cant think of one right now
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you want a great looking and performing tire for on and off road use this is the one you want mine have lasted abouth 20k miles and are not near worn out.

scatters_s4
scatters_s4's Reviews
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: excellent traction in everything
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i worked at tire store for while, so i know a lot bout tires. these were the best tires last year for reason. looked at bfg km2, hankook m/t and few others. these were far superior to anything else out there. especially for price. super swampers are cool, but just tooooo loud. and performed bout the same

texas_yj

texas_yj's Reviews

12-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Price: $320.00
Pros: deep tread, good looks, quite ride
Cons: skinny for a 12.50, took alot to balance,
Recommended? No

Comments: 37x12.50r17
tire runs very quite for a mud grip on the road, almost street tire like handling, the lugs on the 37" models are a full 3/4" deep, 20-21/32 on the others, the looks are great. the tires are skinnier than other brands same size, about an inch skinnier than KM2's on same rims, and close to 2" from MT/R's. Mounted on a set of 17x8.5 MB Chaos' they are only a little over 11 wide at the max, and tread is just bigger than the rims (guessing about 9 1/2"). On a set of 5, the lease balance weight was 2 3/4 oz the most was a full 9 oz! so they aren't as good the the BFG or Goodyears in that regaurds. I definately would recommend these tires to others, however, if you like that real wide look, these tires are not for you

briguy3030
briguy3030's Reviews

07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Price: $203.00
Pros: Amazing bite when aired down on the rocks. Confident on wet streets. Superb tire compound. Doesn't tear/lose lugs
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I don't see a reason presently to run ANY other tire for a daily driver/weekend warrior. Works great in ANY terrain: Rocks, Rain, Snow, Ice.
Slight, negligible hum
Purchased 285/75/R16's (33x11.5x16)

mcount2010

mcount2010's Reviews
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Price: $500.00
Pros: It seems like they are wearing faster than i thought
Cons: love the aggressive look, not that loud on the road at any speed.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I found 5 of these tiers online for $700 i could not afford new tiers at the time so i went to look at them with $500 and the guy took the $500 for all 5! Went home did my lift and was off the the shop to mount and blanace the tiers. went on with no problems and i love them so far. They are not loud at any speed (not as loud as i thought).

youwish023
youwish023's Reviews
07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Price: $792.00
Pros: Good look, very grippy!
Cons: A little noisy due to tread.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love these tires! They have never let me down. I have yet to get stuck. They have a definate "hum" to them on the highway, but personally I like it. They ride a little rough but that's to be expected. Like I said before, I love these tires, I swear by them and would recommend these to anyone!

GRTeam
GRTeam's Reviews

05-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Decent all around tires with good offroad performance in mud
Cons: Weak side walls
Recommended? No

Comments: Tires were purchased in Europe.
They are used almost exclusively for driving offroad on varied terrains, including in offroad competitions on a truck that has previously used BF Goodrich MTs and Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs.

On road they seem to be a little noisier than the Goodyear MT/Rs.

In mud for now (almost new) the STTs have decent performance which is comparable to that of the Wrangler MT/Rs and better than the BFGs.

They are however one big disappointment as far as side wall strength is concerned.

For the past 4.5 years I've had only one tire (BFG MT) with a damaged side wall. Now, for the 2 months I've been using the Cooper STTs I've had 2 tires that got 3-4 cm cuts in the side wall as a result of contact with small stones.

PatchesRig
PatchesRig's Reviews
03-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Price: $900.00
Pros: Phenomenal
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love them, they are heavier and run down your fuel MPG by about 2 MPG. Other then then, Awesome! Also, there not that loud. I'm already used to the noise. :0)

topmagoo
topmagoo's Reviews

02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: Great looking, aggressive, confident feeling
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought a set of 35x12.50x15 for my TJ in December. Since then, we've had a bit of ice and snow in my area. In the time we've had the nasty roads, I've only engaged 4wd once. They seemed to handle the ice as well as you could expect any tire to. I had no problems with the now either, as long as you were not stupid with the skinny pedal, you could go anywhere. The only time I had an issue was when we had snow on top of ice, that was when I had to engage 4wd to get a better "feel".

I've had absolutely no problems with rain or dry roads. They seem to be at home at 70mph on the interstate. The tread makes very little noise considering how aggressive it is. I can feel a bit of the lugs bouncing the jeep when i'm barely creeping. That bounce disappears when you speed up to 5mph or so.

I haven't had the opportunity to take them into the rocks yet, but will be in a week or two. I'll update on their performance after I get back.

UPDATE:
I just got back from a short wheeling trip in some rocks and a little mud thrown in for good measure. These shoes hooked up like crazy. They just gripped onto any type of surface I found and walked up ledges like a mountain goat. With the right gear and good tire placement, hardly a slip or spin. This was only aired down to 15psi too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »