163K views 558 replies 550 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
Product Information
Price $158
Rating 4
Average Price $575.57
Manufacturer BF Goodrich
Recommended Yes: 545 / No: 15

The tire that invented the all-terrain category remains the race-winning standard for on- and off-road performance, great mileage and a bold look that transforms the appearance of any vehicle you put it on.

Features:

ShoulderLock technology (upper sidewall traction bars, 40% wider shoulder grooves)
Dual-tread radius with advanced profile design
Aggressive, high-void all-terrain tread design with interlocking tread elements, innovative siping and stabilized tread center
Three-ply polyester carcassâ€"TriGard® construction
Two full-width steel belts
Rim Protector
Dual-compound tread
High-strength single strand bead construction
Raised white letter and black sidewall styling

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rating 4
Pros Long life, good for general offroad use
Cons Not good in mud
Recommended yes

Comments: Ive run the 31s on my XJ and 33s on my TJ. Both times I was satisfied with the overall performance. Its not great for mud, if youre into that. The mud tends to get stuck between the tread.

However, everywhere else it holds up fine and the tread wear is one of the best for this type of tires, possibly lasting up to 50,000+ miles.

#3 ·
Rating 4
Pros good overall tire
Cons not so good mud tire
Recommended yes

Comments: For what it's built for, the AT does very well. I have 33 x 10.5's and the offroad performance is ok and onroad is very good(rain, snow, ice, etc). The tires do gum up very easy in thick mud and do not clean very well.

#4 ·
Rating 4
Pros Great all round tire, quiet on the road, good tread life
Cons not real good in sticky mud
Recommended yes

Comments: I run 33x10.5's on my TJ, right now I have about 40,000kms on them, and they still have another good winter in them. I wheel most weekends, and only have been in a couple situations where I wished I had a more aggressive tire, the pro's outway the cons for sure on these ones.

#5 ·
Rating 4
Pros Good Road handling, Gas Mileage, Good off-road
Cons Not as aggressive as some
Recommended yes

Comments: Definately a great DD upgrade, better on the road than stock, good on the trail, rain, snow. Rumors of thin sidewalls and poor performance in mud, but my sidewalls are intact (knock on wood).

I cannot vouch for their mud performance, but I live in Az and really don't care. ;)

ETA: I have ripped some lugs off on the rocks, causing me to knock my rating down from 9 to 8. Still pretty happy, the Jeep has gone from DD when I bought the tires to a weekender & Trail rig, so she's seeing much more off-roading than she used to.

#8 ·
Rating 4
Pros Good overall tire, decent price for it's size/style
Cons Not great in mude
Recommended yes

Comments: I would second the opinions that this is a great overall tire, but not the best in deep mud. But for those looking for a good daily driver/weekend wheeler tire, I think these are hard to beat.

#9 ·
Rating 4
Pros Quite, long lasting, perfect for gravel, sand, and dirt.
Cons Size really 32.4'.
Recommended yes

Comments: Quite possibly the best tires I have ever owned.

#10 ·
Price $520
Rating 4
Pros not loud on interstate, dependable offroad.
Cons not that good in mud, but not horrible.
Recommended yes

Comments: I have run these tires on my 97 tj se for about a year now. My jeep is my dd and they still have plenty of tread. I have taken these tires offroad frequently, from my backyard spots to offroad parks. I have only had trouble with the tires while in mud, if i am trying to get over rocks, trees, hills, any solid obstacle, the tires have gotten me over them. If theres a reason for me getting stuck on a solid obstacle, its that i dont have enough life, torque, etc.

On the road the tires provide alot. They are quiet and last a long time :thumbsup: .

Many of my friends have these tires, as well as countless jeeps i've seen on the road. I would recommend these to anyone who would like a good offroading tire that doesn't have a ridiculous amount of tread (mostly for people who are running these on a dd).

:wave:

#11 ·
Rating 5
Pros great wear and all around traction
Cons Clay mud
Recommended yes

Comments: Ran the BFG AT on my 02 X and plan to run them on the Rubicon as soon as I wear out the MTR's or sell them. Great all weather traction. In sandy type mud great to get through, really hates clay mud, doesn't self clean very well.

#12 ·
Rating 4
Pros quite, pretty good traction
Cons not so hot in the mud
Recommended yes

Comments: I have the 31's on my YJ, I like them a lot. I get really good traction on almost everything except mud. Really good on the road in rain, ive never fishtailed with em.

#13 ·
Rating 4
Pros Excellent wear, work great in most offroad situations.
Cons Load up easily in sticky mud.
Recommended yes

Comments: I've been running the 33x10.50s on 8" rims on the street and at Paragon and I'm very pleased with their performance.

I rotate all 5 regularly, and on the street they're still quiet at about 50% wear and 30k miles. No comlaints about their performance in the rain or NEPA winters (ice and snow).

On the trails I run them at 13-14psi and they work really well in the dirt, rocks, water, and thin mud. They load up fairly easily in thick, sticky mud. They clear out just fine with enough wheelspin, but it can make steep ascents on sloppy stuff tricky.

I've recently been spending more time on rocks, and the treads are showing some scoring and cutting. The sidewalls have been holding up well but are also showing signs of abuse. I also recently tore a lug off spinning over rocks.

I'll be moving on to something a little tougher next, but unless you're regularly running in sticky mud or on rocks, these are tires hard to beat.

#14 ·
Rating 4
Pros A rarity - an AT tire with Severe Winter Weather rating
Cons mud
Recommended yes

Comments: 60,000 miles and looks like there's still a good 20,000 miles left! Excellent tire for everything, I mean everything, except mud. It's adequate in mud but does pack up without the ability to throw chunks. Great snow tire and does as well as any unstudded snow tire on ice. Kept me on the road while others were sliding into the ditches many times.

#17 ·
Rating 4
Pros Good traction, very aggressive looks for an A/T tire
Cons Price
Recommended yes

Comments: I just got these tires (31 x 10.5) about 2 months ago or so. I've been holding off on my review because I wanted to make sure I got an opportunity to try them out in various weather conditions.

It's difficult to describe, but the BFG A/Ts feel more solid than the stock Goodyear Wrangler GS-As. I wouldn't say they ride smoother or firmer, but they definitely feel more sure-footed.

I've seen reviews on Tirerack saying that these tires are loud. From my experiences, they aren't very loud. In fact, I didn't notice a difference in noise level between the GS-As and the BFGs. Maybe the GS-As are loud and I've just been conditioned by them? I don't know, but no harm done as far as noise goes.

I noticed a pretty remarkable traction improvement in rain. I was getting really annoyed with the wheels spinning every time I started out on a hill or accelerated from a stop at a slight angle. I wouldn't say the BFGs NEVER slip, but it's extremely rare--I really have to try to make them spin.

I drove the BFGs through about a 10" of snow and they worked much better than the stock tires. Actually, I was able to drive through that same snow (10") in 2WD pretty well. I am impressed with the tires' snow traction.

If I had only looked at Tirerack reviews, I probably would have purchased Bridestone Dueler Revos or Firestone Destination A/Ts. But, I've read many positive comments about the BFGs on this site, so I figured I can't go wrong. Plus, the BFGs look so aggressive, and that just looks plain cool on a Wrangler.

#18 ·
Rating 5
Pros Good price, best All-Terrain made.
Cons I hear it's bad in mad, unsure
Recommended yes

Comments: These tires are great and the best All-Terrains you can buy. They last anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 miles pending on your usage and on what.

I hear they are bad on mud, but haven't really off-roaded with my 29's and am upgrading to 32's, will let know when I get try them out.

#19 ·
Price $120
Rating 4
Pros price, on road / off road performance
Recommended yes

Comments: purchased these a year ago to replace the goodyear wrangler AT/S that came with my 2000 TJ. off and on road performance was much improved. after 7000 miles only 2/32 of tread has worn off. highly recommend for a DD.

#20 ·
Pros price, wear
Cons none so far
Recommended yes

Comments: I like them. I have had mine on for about a year and half and they are wearing great. I easily have another 40k miles left in them if not more. For the dry offroading that I have done, I have no complaints.

#21 ·
Rating 5
Pros Tire life, low noise, nice handling.
Cons Not great in mud, but it does alright.
Recommended yes

Comments: I've had sets of these on my old YJ (31x10.50) and now my TJ (32x11.50) and I've been extremely happy. The life of these things are very good. I also like the look of these tires to other company's AT tires.

#23 ·
Rating 4
Pros Lower cost, All around good performance
Cons Not self cleaning, Tread Chunking
Recommended yes

Comments: I've had these tires for about 15,000 miles. They wear great. They do well on the road through all conditions and are quiet. They have met all my expectations for an A/T tire. Like others said, not so hot in mud. The tread tends to pick up small rocks and pebbles and hurl them as well. My only complaint is the tire's ability to shed tread blocks like no other I've seen. Maybe I just wheel too hard.. Anyhow I've really chewed up the tread and sidewall from trips to Superlift and Moab. An MT tire is definitely on my list next.

#24 ·
Rating 4
Pros awesome look, do great on road, quiet, great off road
Cons soft sand, and thick mud
Recommended yes

Comments: I have owned 2 pair of these in 33x12.50-15

great tires, brand name for a small price, these things live up to their reputation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.