Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > Speakers > Polk Audio - db521 5 1/4" Car Audio Speaker

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Polk Audio - db521 5 1/4" Car Audio Speaker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Speakers Next Product

Polk Audio - db521 5 1/4" Car Audio Speaker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $89.95
Average Price: $74.15
Manufacturer: Polk Audio
Recommended?
Yes: 12 / No: 1
Company Website: http://www.polkaudio.com

This bad boy slips easily into a door and like all db loudspeakers delivers the awesome sound quality people have come to expect from Polk Audio. Of course db521 comes with the full complement of exclusive Polk features that make the it an exceptional value for the price.

* Dynamic Balance® Driver Technology for pure, distortion free sound.
* Neodymium is a rare earth material we use in all db driver magnets, excluding 461p, that are about 1/10 the weight of a comparable ceramic magnet and much more powerful.
* Composite Cones feature tremendous stiffness-to mass ratio. Lower mass means faster transients and finer detail.
* Klippel Optimized Components for consistent, distortion-free sound.
* Marine Certified means the db521 is built tough to withstand the harshest environments on the water.
* Wheel-inspired style combines with rugged durability in the db grille.

db Series Features:

This is how you turn up the style.

The look is about more than performance. It's about making every detail count, from the wiring harness under the hood to the fit and finish of your loudspeaker installs. Even before you fire them up, the db Series delivers. ABS wheel-inspired grilles make a muscular statement about your entire audio system and say you're ready to unleash some real sound. Hidden wire channels give your system a clean, professional look. Now if you'd prefer to be more subtle about your audio system (although why would you?), db makes a comfortable stealth installation and will mount easily behind factory grilles.

The db Series fits. Yes, it's just that simple.

The last thing we want is to sell you a great speaker that doesn't fit. Our new multi-hole mounting pattern and shallow-depth magnet design have created our highest vehicle application ratio for easy drop-in installations in just about any car on the road (and probably some that should have been taken off the road years ago). Tweeters in the component models can be flush & surface-swivel mounted using the supplied hardware. With db, we've made sure you have maximum install flexibility.

High Efficiency Design

It means less amplifier power is needed for more audio output. Meaning better sound and more volume using less power. The bottom line is db Loudspeakers will definitely blow you and your friends away, whether they're driven by aftermarket head units or factory installed electronics. (If you really want to punch your music up, check out our PA amplifiers.)
Advanced Component Systems

Component models have a vented crossover housing and hidden wire channels for an easier, more professional-looking install. All component models use a 2nd-order Butterworth outboard crossover for component system sound - at a coaxial price.

A 1-inch Liquid-Cooled Silk/Polymer composite Dome Tweeter with Neodymium magnet gives db Series component systems clear, detailed highs. The crossovers features an electronic tweeter protection circuit to protect your tweeters from abuse for reliable high output sound from any source.
2-way and 3-way Coaxials.

Because sometimes space is tight.

Hey, maybe a full-blown component system and a db sub enclosure in a SmartCar isn't all that practical. Some db Coaxials will fill the bill quite nicely, thank you. There are three new db models not previously offered in the db line: a 3-1/2 inch diameter coaxial, a 4x6 plate-style speaker and a 6-1/2 inch Slim Mount coaxial for easy fit into shallow doors.

The 6-1/2 inch sized db651 and db651S models come with 6-3/4 inch adaptor rings for easy fit in VWs, Audis, BWMs and other European cars.

The 3-way coaxial speakers hav e 3/4-inch (19mm) Liquid-Cooled Silk/Polymer composite Dome Tweeter with Neodymium magnet that plays clear, detailed highs. Go ahead, that rear deck is aching for thunderous loudspeakers like the db691 6x9 3-way Loudspeakers, featuring both a 1" (25mm) Liquid-Cooled Dome Tweeter and a 3/4" (19mm) Super-Tweeter.

Marine Certified

Marine Certified means your db loudspeakers will perform reliably on the water as well as they do on land. So we attacked every db speaker with a series of punishing real world and accelerated weathering lab tests to see if they could take what some pretty nasty marine and automotive environments could dish out. We exposed dbs to hundreds of hours of salt fog, intense ultraviolet light and extreme temperatures from -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C). They performed as well after the tests as before (they didn't look so good). No wonder Correct Craft® builds Polk Audio speakers into their award-winning Nautiques® ski and wakeboarding boats, and Bullet® uses Polk db speakers in their marine "tower" speaker enclosures.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

SoCoYJ
SoCoYJ's Reviews
05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Price: $64.95
Pros: Cheap, Easy Upgrade, Good Sound
Cons: Must buy an adapter bracket to install for front speakers.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have not gotten to use these speakers for an extended period of time so I do not know anything about their durability. I do feel they are a high quality speaker option to upgrade the front speakers. You must purchase or make an adapter bracket to mount the speakers as the stock ones aren't the same size. I would recommend them to anyone.

mtnbiker995

Livin the dream
mtnbiker995's Reviews
03-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Price: $110.00
Pros: Water proof
Cons: Annoying adapter plate
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love being able to get them we when I'm topless

itzfreddie
itzfreddie's Reviews

09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Price: $56.00
Pros: sound is great, didnt expect much bass, and easy hook up
Cons: shakes the light in my roll bar
Recommended? Yes

Comments: they are awesome. love em. cheap and good alternative

rhino35350
rhino35350's Reviews
03-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Price: $50.00
Pros: adjustable tweeters, marine grade
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Cheap and Sound way better than the stock 4x6 in the dash

TheStigX

TheStigX's Reviews
02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Price: $60.00
Pros: Crisp sound
Cons: The bass is lacking, very easily distorted at higher volume
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These Polks along with the stock front speakers and a 10'' sub sound very good played at around 80% volume. Getting into friend's vehicles with stock audio just isn't the same anymore. These offer hardly any low range bass and I have to turn the bass as low as it will go for these speakers so they won't distort and sound like total crap. You really need a sub for a complete sound package.

geyo

geyo's Reviews
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Price: $50.00
Pros: Great sound, Great price.
Cons: Rattle my dash
Recommended? Yes

Comments: They are great! I put the 5.25's in the dash with adapters. Went in smooth and sound amazing. They where the first thing i did when i got my jeep. I only had them installed and could almost hear clearly on the highway. Adjust the settings on head unit to limit the rattle of the dash with bass. Primarily listen to Rap/Hip-hop.

Msprain10
Msprain10's Reviews
03-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Price: $80.00
Pros: great sound marine grade
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great speakers marine grade so they can get a little wet

Fishinnick
Fishinnick's Reviews
02-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Price: $40.00
Pros: Great Sound
Cons: Modification of the sound bar in my TJ was required.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These speakers sound great. The highs and mid-bass are a tremendous improvement over the factory speakers. The only con, (which wasnt a big deal) was that I had to modify the sound bar to accept the larger size speaker.

dolson60174
dolson60174's Reviews
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Price: $79.00
Pros: great sound and also rated for marine use!!!
Cons: nothing.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: HUGE improvement over the stock speakers in the sound bar.

TheRover
TheRover's Reviews
07-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Price: $64.00
Pros: Water resistant. Sound nice.
Cons: Missing the lower ranges. They sound tinny, and there's not that much instrument separation. Might sound better with an amp?
Recommended? No

Comments: For the price, they're about average. These would be just average if they weren't marine rated. That adds a lot of peace of mind when the top is off. I have these in the dash(with homemade adapters) and the soundbar. I would keep the ones in the dash, but probably go with 6 1/2's for the soundbar. Or, if i did it all over again, go with Alpine type S speakers(they sound great, and I think they have marine versions?).

jeepjoe4

jeepjoe4's Reviews
06-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Price: $70.00
Pros: good power handling and sound great and water resistant
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Polk,s are the only speakers i will run in my vehicles manly because i just cant blow them not that i try but for some reason i always go threw speakers like they are going out of style

BigBlue01
BigBlue01's Reviews
04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: great sound for size
Cons: not much on the low end of music
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great speaker for size and price, definitely recommend

Mediarocker
Mediarocker's Reviews
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Price: $89.95
Pros: Marine Certified Clear Sounding Good looking
Cons: Needs an amp to be driven correctly
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love these speakers! I had Polk db571's on my car and loved their sound. It just so happens that these were in the Sound Bar when I bought my Jeep! I love them. Only problem with them is for them to sound their full capability, you should run them off a speaker amp. Its not needed, but for audiophiles like me, I would do it. Marine Certification means that I don't have to freak about my speakers being exposed in the rain in my jeep! Definitely recommended.