Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > Audio Players > Kenwood - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Kenwood - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Audio Players Next Product

Kenwood - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating: None

Product Information

MSRP: $250.00
Average Price: $433.33
Manufacturer: Kenwood
Recommended?
Yes: 3 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.kenwood.com

I bought this headunit earlier this year to put in my 2000 Blazer ZR2, which was unfortunately totaled after a woman ran a red light and I plowed over her.

With everything done to the Blazer, all I really wanted to salvage was my amazing headunit! This Excelon features an external bluetooth mic which I've found allows for excellent sound quality. Have yet to use it in the TJ because I generally always have the top down and there's probably too much noise to begin with before you factor in the wind/air inside the cabin using a bluetooth mic.

Anyway, it's honestly an amazing headunit in terms of overall sound quality and control. The interface takes some getting used to, but it's very easy to use and I personally like the joystick controls that others seem to hate in some cases. I love being able to control the RGB values of the display and I can fine tune it to whatever color[s] I want or I can even cycle certain areas of the display through all of the colors. It sounds amazing right out of the box, but it really shines when you start setting up the digital sound processor and the EQ. This headunit really does some amazing things when you input how far away your speakers are, what size they are, what frequencies you want them to play (built in electronic crossover), etc. You can fine tune every speaker.

I bought my Jeep with one of the worst headunits I've ever seen... The previous owner had installed a Dual headunit of some sort, and I knew it was killing my sound, but I thought the Kicker speakers in the sound bar must have been junk. When the Kenwood powered up for the first time I literally was in shock and awe! I cannot express this enough--it was NIGHT AND DAY! I removed a cheap amp and cheap headunit and replaced both with the Kenwood and the speakers sounded better being powered off of the headunit than they did off of the amp and headunit together.

I highly recommend Kenwood's Excelon line to anyone interested in quality sound. If you don't need bluetooth, I believe the 691 (if I recall correctly) is a good choice too. I got the 993 because I wanted to be able to stream music from my Droid or other bluetooth devices. I listen to Pandora frequently and it's entirely possible to never buy or use another cd again in your lifetime with such limitless technology. I also have a USB extension ran to my glovebox where I have (5) 16gb thumb drives full of music that I can plug and go. I do that for organizational reasons. The Excelon has great ipod control, but I'm apparently the only person that prefers not to use ipod's.

One last thing I'll mention is that when using wireless apps like Pandora or Slacker, the right joystick control on the headunit does allow you to skip to the next track. That makes it really convenient to stream from your handset without having to navigate through various menus.

I LOVE THIS HEADUNIT, AND I THINK YOU WILL TOO!

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

tallykeith
tallykeith's Reviews
07-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Awesome clarity and features
Cons: bad in direct sunlight
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If it were waterproof and better with direct sunlight, I could ask for nothing more. Interface is great, etc.,

diana13s
diana13s's Reviews
01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Its a really awesome stereo, handsfree is awesome, sound quality is grreat. I love this stereo.
Cons: The Streaming BT has a little static. Handsfree without top has alot of background noise with the top off. But i'd rather enjoy the ride than worry about a phone call :D
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its a really awesome stereo, handsfree is awesome, sound quality is grreat. I love this stereo.

snobrdrkid07

Mr. WJ
snobrdrkid07's Reviews
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Way better then the org. Jeep HU
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Sweet unit! can keep the ipod in the glove box hidden and out of sight