Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > Audio Players > JVC - JVC El Kameleon KD-AVX77

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

JVC - JVC El Kameleon KD-AVX77 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Audio Players Next Product

JVC - JVC El Kameleon KD-AVX77

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $649.00
Average Price: $263.67
Manufacturer: JVC
Recommended?
Yes: 3 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=el+kameleon+jvc&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10530186209529285981&sa=X&ei=kjATT6XQI8nKiQLE8LzIDQ&ved=0CEgQ8gIwAQ

HOME Reviews In-dash car stereos JVC in-dash car stereos El Kameleon JVC EXAD KD-AVX77 media player
El Kameleon JVC EXAD KD-AVX77 media player
Review User ReviewsSpecificationsCompareShop
CNET Editors' Rating
stars
Excellent
Average User Rating
stars
3 reviews
Starting at: $559.00
$559.00 - Amazon.com Marketplace
All prices Set price alert

inShare
More
CNET Editors' Review
Want it (2)Got it (2)Had it (0)
CNET Editors' Rating
stars
Excellent
Design: 8.0
Features: 9.0
Performance: 7.0
Reviewed by: Antuan Goodwin
Reviewed on: 07/31/2009
The good: The JVC KD-AVX77 El Kameleon features a customizable interface and a responsive touch screen. iPod and USB browsing is quick and easy to understand. Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming increase driver safety and add an additional audio source. A plethora of AV inputs and outputs provide many expandability options.
The bad: The superwide touch screen is too small for DVD playback and its awkward aspect ratio means that most films will be cropped, stretched, or shrunken. Gesture controls are inconsistent.
The bottom line: The JVC KD-AVX77 El Kameleon is a great receiver for system builders, but the touch-screen interface isn't as easy to use as some of the competition's physical control schemes.
When we last saw JVC's El Kameleon car audio receiver, we awarded it our Editors' Choice award for its innovative interface and expandability. However, we wished that the unit featured a touch screen instead of a touch pad.
With the new El Kameleon KD-AVX77, we get our wish. The new El Kameleon features a superwide touch screen that fills up its entire single-DIN faceplate. But is a bigger screen always better?
The superwide screen is awkward for DVD playback, but allows for a fantastic level of customization. You can download custom backgrounds, adjust text and button color and design, and even customize the virtual button layout.
Design
The KD-AVX77 is a single DIN unit with a detachable faceplate. The face is almost completely devoid of physical controls, featuring only a Power/Attenuate button at the top right corner and a button to eject the faceplate at the lower right corner.
The rest of the KD-AVX77's faceplate is occupied by a 5.4-inch superwide (3.32:1 aspect ratio) touch-screen display with a resolution of 800 pixels by 240 pixels. Frankly, a screen this wide is of limited use for displaying DVD movies, because very few DVDs are encoded in a supercinemascope aspect ratio. As a result, movies viewed on the KD-AVX77's screen end up cropped, stretched, or just scaled down with black borders.
The display features a proximity sensor that can be used to, for example, pop up the hidden onscreen controls when your hand approaches the screen during DVD playback. The system can be set to hide the interface buttons by default or black out the inactive screen and respond to proximity or touch.
However, where the El Kameleon's touch screen comes into its own is with the customizable interface. You are able to choose different backgrounds, and virtual button layouts. The KD-AVX77 also features touch gestures for basic commands, such as swirling a finger to quickly raise or lower the volume or swiping horizontally to skip back or forward.
Installation
The KD-AVX77 El Kameleon fits into a standard single-DIN space that many vehicles reserve for car stereos. Basic installation involves making the standard wiring harness connections for power, speakers, etc. Video playback is only enabled when the vehicle is parked, so the e-brake signal lead must be tapped during installation. Additionally, the USB cable pigtail must be routed, as well as the microphone for hands-free calling.
Audio RCA preamp outputs, for stereo front and rear and dedicated center channel and subwoofer outputs, allow for the use of external amplifiers for 5.1 surround sound. A video output and a secondary stereo RCA output allow for the connection of external monitors or a rear-seat entertainment system. A video input either works in conjunction with a reverse-gear signal lead to connect an optional rearview camera, or in conjunction with a stereo RCA line input to add an external video player. Finally, an OE remote input allows for the use of some vehicles' steering wheel switchgear, with the addition of an optional control box.
The KD-AVX77's multiple AV inputs and outputs and the AM/FM radio antenna input are all on pigtails and cannot be removed from the device, which means that even if you're not using a ton of input and output options, you'll have a lot of cables to cram behind the unit, so make sure you have enough clearance to allow for adequate cooling.
Hide ReviewNext page
Compare to other In-Dash Car Stereos Compare selected
select

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT
Starting at
$1,499.98
select

Eclipse AVN726E DVD/GPS receiver
Starting at
$999.99
select

JVC El Kameleon KD-AVX44
select

Alpine iXA-W407 Digital Media Station
Starting at
$699.00
Antuan Goodwin
Antuan gained most of his automotive knowledge the old fashioned way, by turning wrenches in a driveway and picking up speeding tickets.

User Reviews See all user reviews
Average User Rating
stars
out of 3 user reviews
Rating Breakdown
5 star: 1
4 star: 1
3 star: 0
2 star: 0
1 star: 1
My Rating
stars
click stars to rate product
CNET Community This product is on 5 user lists. Add to my list
Most recent user reviews
Showing 3 of 3 reviews
stars
"Impressive. Obi Wan has taught it well." Sep 7, 2010, 11:53 am By NYC_Darkstar
Pros:
Video can stretch to Cinemascope mode for an amazing picture in DVD mode. Amazing sound. Great sound control. Call quality is great through the speaker phone.
Cons:
Could use multitouch. Wished it was a Blu Ray player also. It needs to integrate my EVO better. The remote is a bit big.
Summary:
A fabulous and impressive unit.
stars
"Great system deck. Excallent video and audio output." Sep 7, 2010, 11:53 am By sirwizard
Pros:
Wide screen with very easy to use options. The small display isn't even noticed when used with an auxilary 12" screen. It offers plenty of add on and extention ports and comes XM ready. There are many bells and whistles in this system player. Way too many
Cons:
The Kameleon JVC EXAD KD-AVX77 media player comes XM ready and is Ipod compatable. To use the XM SAT radio. You need to purchase a separate adapter and signal amp kit. Also the system states Ipod compatabilaty. They dont tell you that it's apple products
Summary:
I really like the Kameleon JVC EXAD KD-AVX77 media player. Way better than my last KD-AVX44 series. More options with easy basic options. You can get very detailed with the personal settings. The remote usage takes getting used to.I do recomend that you learn it as well as you ... Expand full review
stars
"kd-avx77 display goes bad after taking great care of it" Sep 7, 2010, 11:53 am By BartenderTim
Pros:
It has a full range of dynamic colors and backgrounds that you can do yourself. The dvd player was also a nice touch.
Cons:
All the pros about this go out the window when the display goes bad after 18 months. My kd-avx77 display is broken, which means no telling what buttons you push because THE WHOLE SCREEN IS TOUCH!!!!
Summary:
My display went black 2 days ago without any warning. It worked Saturday just fine, and then Sunday, it was never to be seen again. I was hesitant about buying anything JVC to begin with, but I was drawn in by the full touch screen display. It is beautiful when ... Expand full review
Where to Buy
Low price: $559.00
$559.00 -Amazon.com Marketplace See It
See all prices Set price alert
Specifications See full specs
Quick Specs
Product Type:Form Factor: In-dash
Monitor:Type: LCD monitor
Features:Additional Features: Bluetooth hands-free for cellular phoneRear-facing camera capabilityTelephone muteBluetooth audio streamingiPod compatibleDual-zone capabilityGold plated connectors

Where to Buy
Low price: $559.00
$559.00 -Amazon.com Marketplace See It
See all prices Set price alert

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

MissTigreWJ
MissTigreWJ's Reviews
10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Price: $330.00
Pros: Has all the features I was looking for touchscreen, Bluetooth etc.
Cons: Can't sync phone book from phone with the Bluetooth
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Happy with the purchase. Also happy with the price since it was an opened product sale at best buy.

saveglamis

saveglamis's Reviews
02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: people can hear me on the bluetooth
Cons: wife has trouble operating it
Recommended? Yes

Comments: im real happy with it, it never has trouble syncing up with my iphone, the controls arent real intuitive, but you get used to it.

bbusch

bbusch's Reviews

01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Price: $460.00
Pros: Bluetooth, iPod and streaming capable without having to buy extra devices.
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought this unit for my BMW 325ci and have only hooked it up in the garage at this point. From the few hours I have on it I like the ease of use and the simplicity of the JVC, also the fact that it is a single din unit is a plus for my install need. DVD is a cool feature especially for the on trail traffic jams. Lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.